Brantford, ON
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed

[Extreme] Rogers Pricing Being Slayed by Start.ca

Rogers: $61.99

Extreme 28 Mbps Down 1 Mbps Up 120GB Cap $1.50/GB overages

THROTTLED: In some areas, Rogers manages upstream peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing applications speed to a maximum of 80 kbps per customer for Rogers Hi-Speed Internet (delivered over cable). This policy is maintained at all times. (taken from rogers website as of today)

Start.ca: $49.95

Advanced Cable Internet 28 Mbps Down 1 Mbps Up 300GB Cap $.50/GB overages

UNTHROTTLED

Rogers pricing is NOT KEEPING PACE. I'd like to remain a Rogers customer like I have been for the last 20 yrs, but they are making it impossible to stay.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

The one key thing to remember is that Start's overages are uncapped. So anything more than 524GB in a month on the 28/1 package will be more expensive than with Rogers. Though there was talk of unlimited options coming in the future. Of course, under that it's cheaper with Start - drastically so between 187GB and 300GB.

Throttling is going away for Rogers, just hasn't disappeared everywhere yet.

plebel
Premium
join:2011-01-27
Ottawa, ON
reply to abitbent

said by abitbent:

Rogers pricing is NOT KEEPING PACE. I'd like to remain a Rogers customer like I have been for the last 20 yrs, but they are making it impossible to stay.

Why would you want to remain a Rogers customer? What benefit(s) do you incur by being loyal to this company? From my point of view, doing so only increases your costs and allows them to subject you to their questionable "traffic management" practices.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

said by plebel:

What benefit(s) do you incur by being loyal to this company? From my point of view, doing so only increases your costs and allows them to subject you to their questionable "traffic management" practices.

Amen Brother. Time to cease glossing over Rogers "stick it to the consumer" policies and spread the word......

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to plebel

said by plebel:

said by abitbent:

Why would you want to remain a Rogers customer? What benefit(s) do you incur by being loyal to this company? From my point of view, doing so only increases your costs and allows them to subject you to their questionable "traffic management" practices.

Only reason to remain a Rogers customer is the increased upload speeds - if your area is upgraded and you're on a Docsis 3 modem, you can request your upstream speed increase. You can't get it on TPIA yet.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

elitefx

London, ON

said by resa1983:

if your area is upgraded and you're on a Docsis 3 modem, you can request your upstream speed increase.

Why would you need to "request" anything?
An open honest transparent ISP would automatically pass on any benefits/rewards of a system upgrade as a Thank you for customer loyalty and continued customer business.......

bt

canada

said by elitefx:

said by resa1983:

if your area is upgraded and you're on a Docsis 3 modem, you can request your upstream speed increase.

Why would you need to "request" anything?

Because the increased upload speeds are still officially in testing, and not yet part of the actual retail packages.

elitefx

London, ON

said by bt:

Because the increased upload speeds are still officially in testing, and not yet part of the actual retail packages.

Not buying it. Even M$ beta tests new software with a free pre-release beta period. This is just more "glossing over" Rogers lame ass attitude towards their paying customers. Sorry my friend. No disrespect meant to you.......

bt

canada

said by elitefx:

Not buying it. Even M$ beta tests new software with a free pre-release beta period.

Yes, but you still have to go to them to get it. They don't mail out copies to everyone who registered a copy of the previous version.

How is that any different than Rogers with the upload speed upgrades? You go to them to get it, and they don't charge you any more for it than you're paying now.

elitefx

London, ON

A great mind once said "An open honest transparent ISP would automatically pass on any benefits/rewards of a system upgrade as a Thank you for customer loyalty and continued customer business"

Oh, maybe that was me........

bt

canada

...except the upgrade isn't complete yet.

Everyone eligible (AKA: has a Docsis 3 modem) will get the speed upgrade when it is complete.

elitefx

London, ON

said by bt:

Everyone eligible (AKA: has a Docsis 3 modem) will get the speed upgrade when it is complete.

Just got my Rogers speed upgrade here in London tonite. How's this for smokin' hot Docsis 3 Express speed. Eat your heart out folks:

Sarge

@rogers.com

Rogers Extreme Plus at 1906 hours today = Etobicoke, ONTARIO

elitefx

London, ON

3 edits

said by Sarge :

Rogers Extreme Plus at 1906 hours today = Etobicoke, ONTARIO

Just when I thought my Docsis 3 Express 56KB/s upload speed was smokin' fast.......

Update: Improving

abitbent

join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON

Getting you to your paltry usage cap quicker than ever before.

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to abitbent

They're slayed if you compare retail price, but if you take into account the fact that Start.ca has no wiggle room on price but anybody can call into Rogers and get a retentions deal, then it's not such a slaying after all.

For example 75/2 (hopefully 75/10 in the near future) only costs me $32/mo, which is much faster and cheaper than what you listed for Start.ca. Sure my cap is lower, but since I average 60GB/mo it's not really a problem.

kliles

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

said by Ree:

They're slayed if you compare retail price, but if you take into account the fact that Start.ca has no wiggle room on price but anybody can call into Rogers and get a retentions deal, then it's not such a slaying after all.

For example 75/2 (hopefully 75/10 in the near future) only costs me $32/mo, which is much faster and cheaper than what you listed for Start.ca. Sure my cap is lower, but since I average 60GB/mo it's not really a problem.

Almost all 'deals' offered by retentions involve re-upping with another longish term contract don't they? start.ca is month-to-month...

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

said by plebel:

What benefit(s) do you incur by being loyal to this company? From my point of view, doing so only increases your costs and allows them to subject you to their questionable "traffic management" practices.

Amen Brother. Time to cease glossing over Rogers "stick it to the consumer" policies and spread the word......

Hey i totally agree with your comment but i believe the reasoning is getting the connection directly from the source. Increased response time and though i'm still a teksavvy customer AND rogers customer in my 20 years myself with Rogers back with @home and the old fin modems rogers for me in mississauga has always been reliable (connection that is). Very stable and in 20 years rarely have i ever seen an outage.

I'm with TSI for bandwidth but with rogers for speed. We cut cable tv today but we can't walk away from the ultimate plan, it's strong, stable and fast... 250 gig cap is low but we manage ourselves

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

elitefx

London, ON

Nice results. Too bad they're not real.

Speedtest always gives inaccurate off the charts results.

Cogeco usually disregards speedboost and gives a more accurate result.

From my experience, you can go to 5 different sites and get 5 completely different results.

Gotta wonder if Speedtest gets paid off by Rogers................

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by elitefx:

Nice results. Too bad they're not real.

Speedtest always gives inaccurate off the charts results.

Cogeco usually disregards speedboost and gives a more accurate result.

From my experience, you can go to 5 different sites and get 5 completely different results.

Gotta wonder if Speedtest gets paid off by Rogers................

Actually they are real... I wouldn't always assume everything is strictly speedboost.

I get a steady, strong 8.5-9 megabyte/s downloads off of astraweb servers. I queue up a 5 gig-15 gig file download and i'm staying easy within the threshold of my speed. Been that way since day one, at least off of astra with newsleecher

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit

i have to disagree about cogeco speedtest... it's BBR speedtest and i've personally never had success with it on any ISP for the higher tiers.

I just ran a quick test downloading ubuntu and ran the cogeco speedtest. Speedtest was half the speed i was just getting off of ubuntu servers for the desktop iso. I downloaded the entire ISO to get an average of 5.2mb/s I ran two cogeco speedtests and hit 18mbit. I just ran it again same result.

As i said i download off newsgroups daily and i quite literally max out this 75meg line.

Screnshot above was off of speedtest.teksavvy.com which are locally hosted files from teksavvy servers as i offer same speedtest to my customers on my site.

anonymizer

@rogers.com
reply to elitefx

Click for full size
Consistent speed using the new 150/10 plan with hitron modem. and they are actual speeds, I get 22mb/s downloading with utorrent (properly port forwarded). as long as you know how to set things up and your cable is stable, its worth it

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to kliles

said by kliles:

Almost all 'deals' offered by retentions involve re-upping with another longish term contract don't they? start.ca is month-to-month...

True, I'm on a 2 year contract to get the 70% discount. But it's highly unlikely that anybody will be able to touch that discounted price, so it's not likely that I'll want to switch within two years anyway.

And if a better internal deal comes along, then you can switch without penalty...I was 6 months into a 1 year contract for Extreme+ @ 30% off when the Ultimate @ 70% off came along, and they had no problems switching me over. I guess YMMV on this one, maybe other reps would have pushed for a cancellation penalty to end the first contract, I don't know.

kliles

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

said by Ree:

said by kliles:

True, I'm on a 2 year contract to get the 70% discount. But it's highly unlikely that anybody will be able to touch that discounted price, so it's not likely that I'll want to switch within two years anyway.

Of course, if the service remains stable and good there is no reason to switch. On the other hand, if you have billing problems or service quality problems you are stuck with it. I think I prefer the flexibility of month to month and I recognize there is a (small) price to pay for the flex.

smiffy03

@start.ca
reply to Ree

said by Ree:

said by kliles:

And if a better internal deal comes along, then you can switch without penalty...I was 6 months into a 1 year contract for Extreme+ @ 30% off when the Ultimate @ 70% off came along, and they had no problems switching me over. I guess YMMV on this one, maybe other reps would have pushed for a cancellation penalty to end the first contract, I don't know.

The best thing anyone can do is change providers when it comes to Bell / Rogers for any service specially if you want to change the landscape of the technology coming into Canada, you have to be a part of the collective and change the CRTC because Rogers and Bell have definately infiltrated them, START, WIND, Shaw Direct and freephoneline.ca which I use can save you a bundle without the added bollox that Roger's like to include.

Do yourself a favor, switch.

Smiffy