Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to elitefx

Re: [Extreme] Rogers Pricing Being Slayed by Start.ca

said by elitefx:

Nice results. Too bad they're not real.

Speedtest always gives inaccurate off the charts results.

Cogeco usually disregards speedboost and gives a more accurate result.

From my experience, you can go to 5 different sites and get 5 completely different results.

Gotta wonder if Speedtest gets paid off by Rogers................

Actually they are real... I wouldn't always assume everything is strictly speedboost.

I get a steady, strong 8.5-9 megabyte/s downloads off of astraweb servers. I queue up a 5 gig-15 gig file download and i'm staying easy within the threshold of my speed. Been that way since day one, at least off of astra with newsleecher

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit

i have to disagree about cogeco speedtest... it's BBR speedtest and i've personally never had success with it on any ISP for the higher tiers.

I just ran a quick test downloading ubuntu and ran the cogeco speedtest. Speedtest was half the speed i was just getting off of ubuntu servers for the desktop iso. I downloaded the entire ISO to get an average of 5.2mb/s I ran two cogeco speedtests and hit 18mbit. I just ran it again same result.

As i said i download off newsgroups daily and i quite literally max out this 75meg line.

Screnshot above was off of speedtest.teksavvy.com which are locally hosted files from teksavvy servers as i offer same speedtest to my customers on my site.

anonymizer

@rogers.com
reply to elitefx

Click for full size
Consistent speed using the new 150/10 plan with hitron modem. and they are actual speeds, I get 22mb/s downloading with utorrent (properly port forwarded). as long as you know how to set things up and your cable is stable, its worth it

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to kliles

said by kliles:

Almost all 'deals' offered by retentions involve re-upping with another longish term contract don't they? start.ca is month-to-month...

True, I'm on a 2 year contract to get the 70% discount. But it's highly unlikely that anybody will be able to touch that discounted price, so it's not likely that I'll want to switch within two years anyway.

And if a better internal deal comes along, then you can switch without penalty...I was 6 months into a 1 year contract for Extreme+ @ 30% off when the Ultimate @ 70% off came along, and they had no problems switching me over. I guess YMMV on this one, maybe other reps would have pushed for a cancellation penalty to end the first contract, I don't know.

kliles

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

said by Ree:

said by kliles:

Almost all 'deals' offered by retentions involve re-upping with another longish term contract don't they? start.ca is month-to-month...

True, I'm on a 2 year contract to get the 70% discount. But it's highly unlikely that anybody will be able to touch that discounted price, so it's not likely that I'll want to switch within two years anyway.

Of course, if the service remains stable and good there is no reason to switch. On the other hand, if you have billing problems or service quality problems you are stuck with it. I think I prefer the flexibility of month to month and I recognize there is a (small) price to pay for the flex.

smiffy03

@start.ca
reply to Ree

said by Ree:

said by kliles:

And if a better internal deal comes along, then you can switch without penalty...I was 6 months into a 1 year contract for Extreme+ @ 30% off when the Ultimate @ 70% off came along, and they had no problems switching me over. I guess YMMV on this one, maybe other reps would have pushed for a cancellation penalty to end the first contract, I don't know.

The best thing anyone can do is change providers when it comes to Bell / Rogers for any service specially if you want to change the landscape of the technology coming into Canada, you have to be a part of the collective and change the CRTC because Rogers and Bell have definately infiltrated them, START, WIND, Shaw Direct and freephoneline.ca which I use can save you a bundle without the added bollox that Roger's like to include.

Do yourself a favor, switch.

Smiffy