FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

[Tech] Gallery software suggestions

Hi folks,

I am working on my family tree and I have a ton of old photos to scan. I would like to store these in a gallery with Facebook like people tagging so my nieces, nephews, and at some point my kids and grand kids can view it and know who is who.

I am going to use this on a home server. I am not adverse to using an online service but don't see the need to pay the monthly fees for something that wouldn't see much usage. Also concerned about backing the info up.

Appreciate any tips you have on the subject. If this isn't the right forum - please feel free to move.

Cheers!

bfreas
Premium Member
join:2001-06-16
Franklin, KY

1 recommendation

bfreas

Premium Member

Re: [Soft] Gallery software suggestions

Gallery 3 has a module that lets you tag items or people in a photo. It runs on PHP/MySQL so if you're running a WIndows server you'd have to install XAMPP (or something equivalent).

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

1 recommendation

ctgreybeard

Premium Member

My complaint about Gallery 3 is that they lost the "individual registrations" that Gallery 2 had. I run an interest-centric web site and members had been able to register and post their own pictures. With Gallery 3 they have no way to register now.

I also found the menus confusing to most people. But that issue may not apply here if the OP will be doing all the posting himself.

I, too, will be interested in hearing what other suggestions there might be.