how-to block ads
|reply to rradina |
Re: This Is News?
said by rradina:What possible motive would I have for saying such a thing if it wasn't true? said by jseymour:
I feel smart phone data plans are too expensive for what you get. So I don't buy it.
If you don't trust smart phones, it's difficult to believe your statement about avoiding smart phone data plans because they are too expensive.
What I actually wrote in that thread was:
quote:I actually have many reasons for not yet owning a smartphone:
This story is one of the reasons I've not been particularly anxious to own a "smart" device.
• The cost of the plans and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the devices
• The increased security risk in having my private/personal data on a network-connected device such as a smartphone
• The increased security risk of having my private/personal data mirrored to or backed up on cloud servers, rather than a server or desktop under my control
• The relatively lousy consumer satisfaction numbers for smartphones vs. "dumb" ones
• The poor-to-non-existant PIM functionality of most of today's "smart" phones
• Being unwilling to spend another $5-$10/mo. for insurance, the almost paralyzing fear that it'd be lost, stolen or destroyed
The plan cost is the biggie, tho. I could probably talk myself into living with the rest of it. I guess I'm just odd that way, but, to me, $1000+/year for a smartphone with a data plan is a lot of money.
said by rradina:The price of water around here is exorbitant, but I'm not complaining because I'm on my own well
That's like complaining about ... the price of water but you don't trust the public water supply and you drilled your own well.
Again, *sigh*, forest for the trees.
Until you own one and derive benefit or detriment, your comments must be considered of the Monday morning QB variety.