uniqs

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

[NFL] McNabb gives up football for broadcast booth

Donavan McNabb finally gives up trying to be a mediocre backup QB and will analyze for NFL Network.

»www.philly.com/philly/ne ··· ork.html

If it's more blessed to give than receive, Donovan McNabb is now blessed.

He's joined the NFL Network as an analyst, enabling him to dish out the kind of criticism he endured for years, mostly while amasssing all sorts of records as the Philadelphia Eagles starting quarterback.

The six-time Pro Bowler and former Chunky Soup pitchman will join Sterling Sharpe and Brian Baldinger on Playbook, which has its NFC editions at 8 p.m. Fridays followed by its AFC roundup at 9 p.m., according to NFL Network writer Marc Sessler.

McNabb's rep Mark Lepselter told TMZ that he'll also be part of "other platforms on the network," and that, while he'll "devote 100 percent of his attention" to broadcasting

When he retires, it's possible he'll do so as an Eagle, following in the footsteps of teammates Brian Dawkins and Brian Westbrook, who have also gone into broadcasting.

Dawkins joined ESPN as an analyst, the sports network announced today. (See »bit.ly/PHEYyZ.)

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or

Premium Member

He's not even a mediocre backup now. He's completely incapable of playing. It's not an insult--he's been in the league for 15 years. He's just done.

Insight6
join:2012-08-25

Insight6

Warren Moon says McNabb is the most underrated QB to play the game and belongs in the Hall of Fame. Honest! You can't make this stuff up.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

He was a decent qb for years. HOF worthy? Probably not..

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
If he doesn't do a comedy bit with Rush Limbaugh on his first broadcast he's missing his greatest career opportunity ever.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

LOL!

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
I figured he'd stay in the NFL a season or two more as a teaching backup or assistant coach, but I think he might make a good analyst.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
I thought he was a decent QB, and I had my times where I liked him and hated him as an Eagles fan.

That said, he better learn all the rules by heart before his first gig

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to MuDvAyNe

to MuDvAyNe
said by MuDvAyNe:

He was a decent qb for years. HOF worthy? Probably not..

McNabb is along the same lines as Dan Marino. Less total yards but a similar QB rating and a better TD/INT ratio. They both deserve to be in the HoF. Right now it looks like Romo is going to join this club as well.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

2 edits

jabarnut to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
I just hope they'll still allow him to have some Campbells Chunky Chicken Soup during the commercial breaks. He deserves at least that.
Oh, and yeah, he was a pretty good QB, and put up with a lot of crap in his career, and did it gracefully for the most part. Hall of fame? Not so sure about that. But I'm not totally against it either.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
His stats say he belongs in the HOF. But he spent his career protecting his stats. So no he doesnt belong in the HOF. One record he will always hold even tho its not a official record. Thats the amount of times his passes hit his receivers feet.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by rody_44:

His stats say he belongs in the HOF.

That's all that matters for the HoF.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

said by rody_44:

It shouldn't. When the game was on the line, there was a good half dozen contemporary QBs I would have rather seen in the game than McNabb. He always played it safe and that caused the Eagles to lose when a more risk taking QB would have driven the team to a winning TD.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by FFH5:

said by Draiman:

said by rody_44:

It shouldn't. When the game was on the line, there was a good half dozen contemporary QBs I would have rather seen in the game than McNabb. He always played it safe and that caused the Eagles to lose when a more risk taking QB wold have driven the team to a winning TD.

Dozens of QB's fall into that including HoF ones. Even Tom Brady falls into that recently. SB on the line and he lost....twice to the Giant's. They have to remove that 'subjective' stuff when considering the HoF. There's no real way to quantify that it's just a 'feeling' or opinion.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

McNabb is along the same lines as Dan Marino. Less total yards but a similar QB rating and a better TD/INT ratio.

Marino set single season and career records for passing during his career. McNabb never got close to that sort of thing.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
A little more info on his career, compliments of Wikipedia.
Not sayin' he belongs in the HOF or not...just adding a little more info....
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do ··· n_McNabb

Insight6
join:2012-08-25

1 edit

Insight6 to FFH5

to FFH5
For QB evaluation raw statistics don’t tell the whole story. Often the key story of the stats lies deeper.

For instance:

How did the QB’s peers and all of the players of his time rate him—both teammates and opponents? Did his player have complete confidence in him at all times and the defenders fear him?

All interceptions are not the same. When you throw it and the type can be dramatically different and impactful: Was it thrown or forced into double coverage or making an overt bad read as opposed to say a great defensive play by the defender, or the receiver fell down and so on? Worse did the QB throw the interception in the first part or middle of the game or did he throw it at the end of the game with the outcome on the line?

In the context of the interception scenario above, an extension of that thought was how clutch was the QB? How often did he make the key throw or better yet engineer the final length of the field game winning drive? For instance if your team was up by a touchdown or less against the Joe Montana Forty Niners there was a 95 percent chance you were screwed. There was no way you were going to stop him or that he would stop himself.

How well did the QB play in the playoffs? Was he consistently clutch?

One could go on and on with other examples in the context of issues or concepts that the above raises but I’m sure that all get the point.

Andy Reid professional evaluation of the McNabb was so little in his last year with the Eagles that he traded him for a second round draft choice to a team within the Eagles division! McNabb’s new coach, Mike Shanahan after watching McNabb play and evaluating his conduct in other ways benched him permanently. He replaced him with a QB universally considered average at best. McNabb was then traded to and was a major flop at Minnesota.

Sometimes you have to look past traditional pure statistical numbers.

Whether he gets in or not is up to the sportswriters. IMO he doesn’t belong. As for the argument that some might make that others with less statistical numbers made it, two things:

1. See the above

2. Comparisons of McNabb's traditional stats to others traditional statistics that were admitted or rejected regarding going into the HOF are irrelevant to McNabb’s chances. McNabb is to be accepted or rejected for the HOF base solely upon his perceived total skills and total performances as well as other intangibles.