Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
reply to DarkLogix

Re: [Cataclysm] Was the nerf too much?

said by DarkLogix:

Ya Rag is more fun than DS

IMO DS doesn't deserve to be a final tier raid.

Memories are much better than realities. You reminisce about weekly FL. It seems Firelands was prett short then we were stuck with Dragon Soul for like 10-11 months. Way too long for one Tier raid to hang around. Plus, that's what is still current. It sucks but FL wasn't any better than DS. Your memories for FL just became inflated while you're stilll grueling in LFR and reg DS.
--
Good evening!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
said by mettachain:

said by DarkLogix:

Ya Rag is more fun than DS

IMO DS doesn't deserve to be a final tier raid.

Memories are much better than realities. You reminisce about weekly FL. It seems Firelands was prett short then we were stuck with Dragon Soul for like 10-11 months. Way too long for one Tier raid to hang around. Plus, that's what is still current. It sucks but FL wasn't any better than DS. Your memories for FL just became inflated while you're stilll grueling in LFR and reg DS.

Actually I was on wow break when FL was current.

Only downed Reg-Rag a couple months ago or so, But when I did I had also already downed Reg-madness, and Rag was just more rewarding than madness.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Once again. It was because it was new to you.

DS has been stale since April.
--
Good evening!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Madness was weaksauce when I first did it.

Just no sense of accomplishment.

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA
reply to mettachain
I disagree!

FL had a much more visually appealing instance, the boss fights were in general more fun.

Let's compare (in rough boss order; FL sort of mucks with this due to the first 5 being doable in any order, but I'll go in the traditional normal mode order):
Morchok: has two completely disparate mechanics. The black blood phase exists solely to let healers regen mana and wasn't a fight mechanic at all. Tuned very easy since day 1. Heroic wasn't any more interesting, just a bit harder.

Shannox: dog kiting is at least fun for one person. Individual awareness to avoid traps and magma ruptures. Heroic changes the dynamic fairly significantly, as it becomes about dog control instead of burn.

Next set:
Yor'sahj: cute gimmick, but solvable beforehand. Addon or raid leader with a list calls out the ooze to kill. Ooze phases are primarily DPS and healing checks. In heroic, the addition of purple makes the healing more interesting, but otherwise its "can you survive and kill adds fast enough?"

Beth'tilac: mostly a kill adds fight, with the soft enrage finisher. Controlling the spiderlings adds a small gimmick to the usual "kill the adds fast enough" motif. DPS has to be balanced; there is entertainment in figuring that out and finding if you can send more people up. Heroic mode added intercepting the charging spiders, which I liked. Last phase is kind of dull, admittedly, since its a raw DPS and healing check.

Moving on:
Rhyo: a gimmick fight, and a frustrating one. The fight design is not ideal, I'll admit, but at least its not merely "kill the adds". In this group, DS wins out.
Zon'ozz: ball bouncing is a pretty boring gimmick because "stand here and try not to die" wasn't fun, though figuring out how many you could go without dying was worth pushing the boundaries. Killing the eyes in heroic wasn't interesting because "whee I have to interrupt and burst down an add!" isn't super compelling gameplay. It was mostly designed to tax your healers.

K, I got bored, but here's my examples. See other posts for my Rag v Madness opinions.

My aesthetics are better than your aesthetics!

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
You really went all out to prove nothing didn't you?
--
Good evening!

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA
I like pontificating on the merits and pitfalls of Blizzard's encounter designs. I fondly remember Firelands and I think DS was a slog. And I wanted to explore why I felt that way in what I was hoping to be a constructive debate, or at least by rambling off my opinions.

But apparently that just gets condescending answers.

Thanks Kirk.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
What's that? [I Can't Hear You Over The Sound Of How Awesome I Am]
--
Good evening!

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Nick D
I can agree with you from a tanking perspective. Tanking in FL is more fun/interesting/challenging than tanking in DS. However, as a healer, I appreciate the complexities blizzard put into DS more (although I must say that the Baleroc fight was a very cool idea from a healing perspective).

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Baeleroc was fun and stressfull PRE-nerf. After that first nerf it was easy-mode though. I really loved being a resto shaman on the Baeleroc fight though. That's when having that Mastery really shined.
--
Good evening!

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
On my resto druid, it never felt "easy-mode"... the priest is a different story.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to mettachain
said by mettachain:

What's that? [I Can't Hear You Over The Sound Of How Not Awesome I Am]

Sorry [I Can't Hear You Over The Sound Of How Awesome You Are Not]

mettachain
Goblineer