Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1

Any sweet deal on a pre-built with slots to upgrade?

Hey all. I was wondering if you were aware of any sweet deals on pre-built computers that had some slots to upgrad video cards?

Nothing too fancy and within the price range of about $700. Only really going to be running WoW, GW2, LoL.

Also, I'm possibly looking into upgrading a Vid card on another box somewhere in the $100-160 price range. A one slot card and hoping for DX11 compatability.

Just whatever off the top of your head if you can think of anything. I'm pretty new at looking for actual components of computer. I usually just go with pre-built and sometimes get burned (Gateway FX Vista Home 32-bit)

Thanks in advance.
--
Good evening!

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Found another thread for my vid card question...
»Thinking of upgrading my graphics card, need guidance....
--
Good evening!

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
I just did a budget build for a friend, nothing spectacular but it's running 1920 x 1080 gaming smooth.

HP Pavilion p7-1240, has the A10 from AMD - $539.00 on sale

Thermaltake 650W PS, was $50.00 at Tigerdirect
XFX 7770 was $130.00 at Tigerdirect
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to mettachain
If you can upgrade a video card, you can build a computer. Seriously. Stuff only goes in one way. $700 will net you a computer that can easily do what you're asking.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to mettachain
Almost all decent video cards are dual slot.

But check out this guy trying to sell this computer--see the last post in the thread about estimated worth and make him an offer--it should suit your needs rather well--with or without the GPU, and offers good upgrade paths.

»Is this a good idea for selling my computer?
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to mettachain
Thanks guys (gals if present)! So you say if I can upgrade a video card that I could build a computer eh? I might just try that then.

So I buy the hardware but then the biggest purchase is the OS correct? I only want to use W7 as the OS. Do HDD's usually come with an OS out of the box or do I really need to buy a $299 W7 to install?
--
Good evening!

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA
said by mettachain:

Thanks guys (gals if present)! So you say if I can upgrade a video card that I could build a computer eh? I might just try that then.

So I buy the hardware but then the biggest purchase is the OS correct? I only want to use W7 as the OS. Do HDD's usually come with an OS out of the box or do I really need to buy a $299 W7 to install?

What you would do is buy an OEM license which ties that Windows 7 install to that motherboard. It is only $99 rather than $299.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Nice!!! That was my biggest worry but slashing that by $200 is awesome. I know I can't quote you on that but I'm taking away that it's significantly cheaper to go the OEM license approach.
--
Good evening!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
$700 is a bit low, $800-900 gives you a little more wiggle room for a better GPU, since GW2 is brutal on low-and-mid-grade video cards.

Check out the used computer I linked, with the recommended aftermarket upgrades to it (the GTX 570 and SSD) it would absolutely scream.

But you can also buy new and build, it will just be a little bit more expensive.

Another good place to start reading is here: »Gaming build for teenager
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to mettachain
Search the shit out of newegg, and be prepared to buy shit whenever it goes on big sale. Check shell shockers every day, sign up for their email promotions, and sign up at this place: »www.fatwallet.com, you'll get access to special promo codes and stuff from tons of websites, including newegg. Plus they have forums where old Jews post sweet deals on all sorts of shit.

If you play the game right, you can build a sweet rig for 700-800 bucks. Especially if you can salvage any parts from your old rig.
--
McBrain#1558 - DSLR resident face melter.

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA
reply to mettachain
Click for full size
downloadNewegg.pdf 592,657 bytes
Here is what I came up with for ~$690 after Mail in Rebates and Promo codes.

The only thing it is missing is Windows. To keep it around the same price, you could drop the CPU down to an i3 (which is still good for GW2, WoW at 1080p) and drop the SSD (which I would recommend keeping for boot times).

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Nice! I hope that wasn't a lot of time to search and compile that list Gordo. I like that. I still have a relatively new 650W power supply that I can throw in a new box. I'll definitely see about the OEM license for W7 on the mobo and maybe throw in at least 4 fans
--
Good evening!

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to McBrain
I will really have to check all these sources out too. At work again and firewall is blocking most everything.
--
Good evening!

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to Krisnatharok
Yeah I'm realizing this now.

I'm running WoW and GW2 currently on a ATI Radeon HD5500. I busted WoW back down to DX9 and running at "Good" levels. Went from 30fps to 63fps average.

GW2 I haven't messed with any of the graphics settings and it seems like the card is holding it's own. It might lag a bit here and there but it's tolerable. Not sure how to show the fps on GW2 yet (if there is that option).
--
Good evening!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to mettachain
So you need everything except the PSU for about $700? How often do you take a trip to Kansas City? If you can pick up a CPU you there you can save $50--obviously the gas for the three hour trip will offset that if it's the only reason you're going there.

Assuming you are ordering everything online (taking a queue from Reddit and trying PC Parts Picker for the first time here):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.30 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card ($187.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $707.76
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-06 10:29 EDT-0400)
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to mettachain
Yeah you absolutely want a better GPU for GW2. The 5500 is not the optimal GPU for gaming.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.30 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card ($187.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $707.76
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-06 10:29 EDT-0400)

And for about $40 more you can nab a GTX 570 off Newegg.
--

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to Krisnatharok
Oh yeah, I def don't want to salvage the vid card for a new build. The wife said she just wants my current box since she only plays WoW occasionally and she likes how pretty the toons and pets look on my box.

I actually bought that 5500 from a friend for only $20 too back in the day....lol
--
Good evening!

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to Krisnatharok
I've been to KC once in 2 1/2 years for Worlds of Fun this summer. Core i3 instead of i5 or i7. I supposed my budget would be a little larger for the box and guts. I just wanted to buy a newer, bigger display at the same time but that really can wait.

So next question now would be...SSD and regular drives

The SSD wold only be used for the OS and one or two games and the regular drive for everything else?
--
Good evening!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
Use it for thing that require long load times like OS and games such as GW2 trying to keep a 40% of free space for better performance.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to mettachain
Your budget does not give you space for an SSD. A good 120 GB SSD is about another $100. Going beyond that and your money would be better spent on a better GPU.
--

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to mettachain
Hmm, I work in a Naval health clinic and I can see newegg and fatwallet. Microcenter, TigerDirect, CompUSA can all be seen from work for me. Just no game related sites but this one and howtopriest.com.

Like I posted in my build thread, I paid $615 for my rig out of pocket...including $55 for a mouse and thermal paste that could have been left off. So, hypothetically $560 on necessary parts (not including GPU, I traded my old rig for the new video card). The value of the entire build before discounts, shipping costs, or promo codes is over $1,000 ($1046 to be exact). So, careful planning, research, and selling/trading old parts definitely has benefits.
--
McBrain#1558 - DSLR resident face melter.

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
said by McBrain:

Hmm, I work in a Naval health clinic and I can see newegg and fatwallet.

Let's just say I work in a special place on Offutt. I can't access a lot of website. I'm surprised I can still get here
--
Good evening!