how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bigred44

join:2008-02-10
Charlotte, NC

BELLSOUTH email address ATT

I have an old email address xxxxx@bellsouth.net that I have been using with ATT. I understand my mail sits on a yahoo server. If I discontinue service with ATT do they delete my BELLSOUTH account? If so, is there any way around it?

Thanks

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
I cancelled my AT&T DSL service back in May. When I called to do that I asked how long my @bellsouth email addresses would last. They said as long as you wanted to use them, they are yours. They still work.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
reply to bigred44
I've been using my 'pacbell.net' email addresses for a year and a half since dumping AT&T. Log in at 'mail.yahoo.com' for web access.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

bigred44

Charlotte, NC
reply to bigred44
Good to know! Thanks

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to graysonf
This is great to know. My parents are paying $20/mo. to AT&T for "dialup service". They tried cancelling but it said if they do, they lose their @bellsouth.net email. They have Comcast as the ISP.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
It may have been true in the past when Bellsouth hosted their own mail, but they have outsourced it some time ago.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Rob
said by Rob:

This is great to know. My parents are paying $20/mo. to AT&T for "dialup service". They tried cancelling but it said if they do, they lose their @bellsouth.net email. They have Comcast as the ISP.

In 2002, SBC outsourced email to Yahoo!

In 2005, SBC bought AT&T; then rebranded themselves as, "AT&T".

In 2006, AT&T bought Bellsouth.

~2007-2008, AT&T began migrating legacy Bellsouth customers to Yahoo! mail; as well any legacy SBC customers who had refused to voluntarily migrate subsequent to the 2002 outsourcing.

~2010, AT&T offered free webmail, through Yahoo!, in the 'att.net' domain to any Internet user, regardless of their ISP. At that time, they allowed any AT&T (including legacy Bellsouth and legacy SBC) customers in good standing (account paid up to the end of service) to keep their AT&T/legacy Bellsouth/legacy SBC email; which reverts to a free Yahoo! mail service.

In a web browser.

I just log in at 'mail.yahoo.com' for webmail. Or use:

Incoming: 'imap.mail.yahoo.com:993'/SSL.
Outgoing: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465'/SSL.

In an email client.

--
Norman

bigred44

Charlotte, NC
~2010, AT&T offered free webmail, through Yahoo!, in the 'att.net' domain to any Internet user, regardless of their ISP. At that time, they allowed any AT&T (including legacy Bellsouth and legacy SBC) customers in good standing (account paid up to the end of service) to keep their AT&T/legacy Bellsouth/legacy SBC email; which reverts to a free Yahoo! mail service.

Are you saying that if your legacy ATT/Bellsouth is not in good standing that they delete your account. Please clarify.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by bigred44:

Are you saying that if your legacy ATT/Bellsouth is not in good standing that they delete your account. Please clarify.

Basically, your bill has to be paid in full when you quit. If they close the account with money due, for non-payment, and likely late payment, then your account would not be "in good standing".
--
Norman

chong67

join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA
reply to bigred44
Before I disconnect from ATT DSL, I get all 10 emails and all the aliases too.

Yes, they last all your life time by yahoo.

Only only that, it is pop3 accessible! I believe no ads on yahoo webmail. How nice is that?

burris
Premium
join:2000-08-22
Miami, FL
reply to NormanS
I'm on POP3 mail@bellsouth.net.

I have a few email addresses with Yahoo that I've had since inception and when I enter mail.yahoo.com, I get my actual Yahoo mail.

I still get and send all my Bellsouth mail at bellsouth.net, in my case using Thunderbird as a client and when Bellsouth/ATT is functioning, all is well.

Are you saying that I should be seeing my Bellsouth mail on Yahoo as well?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by burris:

I'm on POP3 mail@bellsouth.net.

I have a few email addresses with Yahoo that I've had since inception and when I enter mail.yahoo.com, I get my actual Yahoo mail.

I still get and send all my Bellsouth mail at bellsouth.net, in my case using Thunderbird as a client and when Bellsouth/ATT is functioning, all is well.

Are you saying that I should be seeing my Bellsouth mail on Yahoo as well?

Yes. Even when I was with SBC, then AT&T, I could reach my account through 'mail.yahoo.com'. I have to use my full, '{%User_Name%}@pacbell.net' for the login (or one of the account 'Profile' identities).
--
Norman

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
Here's what's interesting..

I originally tried all the iterations of the email addressing.

This thread got me to see what I have and to recall what I tried.

Sending is smtp.att.yahoo.com and when the servers aren't busy, works fine.

The inbound originally never worked for me with pop.att.yahoo.com no matter how I signed in or set it up.
What did always work and still does is mail.bellsouth.net port 110-no connection security. I discovered what did change in the process was that my password that was being requested over and over is now the one I use with my Yahoo home page, even though I am still pointed to the Bellsouth mail server that most likely actually goes to the Yahoo mail servers.

I just went through the exercise of trying the inbound again with the Yahoo settings..nothing.

Since what I have works when it does and I can reach it from everywhere when we travel, I suppose I can just leave it alone.
I don't take it personally, but am always the curious sort, and that's why I'm constantly rebuilding my PCs and programs after I mess them up.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to graysonf
At one time when you disconnected Dialup or DSL they nuked your email address in something like .0000000000001 seconds. If you tried to switch back they usually would not let you have your old address.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

DaWifeSaidNo

join:2012-09-07
Hartselle, AL
reply to bigred44
Yahoo now handles the e-mail for AT&T and all of its sub domains (such as bellsouth.net). If you cancel your service and do not owe any money to AT&T, then you keep your email addresses as Yahoo services them.

However, If AT&T disconnects you for some reason (such as non-payment), they will then contact Yahoo and have the email accounts closed.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to burris
said by burris:

The inbound originally never worked for me with pop.att.yahoo.com no matter how I signed in or set it up.
What did always work and still does is mail.bellsouth.net port 110-no connection security. I discovered what did change in the process was that my password that was being requested over and over is now the one I use with my Yahoo home page, even though I am still pointed to the Bellsouth mail server that most likely actually goes to the Yahoo mail servers.

I just went through the exercise of trying the inbound again with the Yahoo settings..nothing.

Must be a Bellsouth thing? When I migrated to 'SBC Yahoo! DSL Service' in 2002, the inbound SBC sever ('postoffice.pacbell.net') stopped holding my email. I could log in, but nothing would be there. I assumed because it was transferred to 'pop.pacbell.yahoo.com'.

I just now tried 'smtp.att.yahoo.com'. It worked, sort of; but the write to the "Sent" folder failed. Switching back to 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' restored that functionality.

I am not playing with the POP3 servers because the IMAP servers work for me. Using the 'pacbell.net' domain; legacy SBC.
--
Norman

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by NormanS:

said by burris:

Must be a Bellsouth thing? When I migrated to 'SBC Yahoo! DSL Service' in 2002, the inbound SBC sever ('postoffice.pacbell.net') stopped holding my email. I could log in, but nothing would be there. I assumed because it was transferred to 'pop.pacbell.yahoo.com'.

I just now tried 'smtp.att.yahoo.com'. It worked, sort of; but the write to the "Sent" folder failed. Switching back to 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' restored that functionality.

I am not playing with the POP3 servers because the IMAP servers work for me. Using the 'pacbell.net' domain; legacy SBC.

Not really a "BellSouth" thing, or a former customer thing. I have no problems reaching all of my former @bellsouth.net and @att.net email accounts no matter how I access them.

I can access all of them from »mail.yahoo.com, or via POP3 using mail.bellsouth.net, fpostoffice.isp.att.net, inbound.att.net, or pop.att.yahoo.com. I can also use the authenticated smtp servers fmailhost.isp.att.net, outbound.att.net, and smtp.att.yahoo.com (although the latter two do have Yahoo's "from" email address restrictions). I also can get to all of them from the built-in email client in my AT&T cell phone (which seems to use IMAP for the AT&T/Yahoo! accounts since I can see the trash, junk, etc folders).

I really can't understand why many people have historically had problems accessing the various AT&T email domains because I have never had problems using any of the above hostnames to access AT&T email from any network to which I was connected (unless the local network admin was specifically blocking something).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by NetFixer:

I really can't understand why many people have historically had problems accessing the various AT&T email domains because I have never had problems using any of the above hostnames to access AT&T email from any network to which I was connected (unless the local network admin was specifically blocking something).

Well, as I experienced it, the incoming SBC servers listed in my original setup docs (postoffice.[nvbell|pacbell|swbell].net) stopped holding email after December 18, 2002, when I migrated service. Login worked (may still work), but there was never any email there.

For SMTP, for the longest time, 'mail.pacbell.net' was limited by ACL (couldn't send from a non-SBC IP address). Not long before SBC bought AT&T they changed that. Caused some weirdness with dial connections because Pacific Bell had contracted with Level 3 for dial-op POPs. If a PacBell sub connected by dial-up through a Level 3 POP, the 4.x.x.x IP address on the connection was not in the ACL, so send would fail. Just when they got around to fixing that, they bought AT&T and moved the dial-up POPs from 4.x.x.x to 12.x.x.x.

I never played with the *.att.net servers because I always could use 'smtpauth.sbcglobal.net'.
--
Norman

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
This is really nuts.

The only email address that works for me is mail.bellsouth.net...port 110 along with the password from my Yahoo account. It seems the original password for all these years from the Bellsouth world went away.

At my stage of life I don't really care. As I said, when the servers are working, I'm happy.
My email doesn't seem to care and neither do I.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by burris:

This is really nuts.

The only email address that works for me is mail.bellsouth.net...port 110 along with the password from my Yahoo account. It seems the original password for all these years from the Bellsouth world went away.

Password synchronization between multiple servers (especially when multiple domains and companies are involved) can be a PITA for everyone involved.

For example, I currently use Comcast Business Class HSI as my ISP, but I also have some legacy email addresses left over from when I had Comcast residential class HSI several years ago. I can still access those email accounts just as I can access my BellSouth and AT&T email accounts even though I am no longer a customer. And Comcast Business Class services and Xfinity residential services are treated by Comcast as if they were totally separate companies. Several months back I tried to change the passwords on a couple of those old residential email accounts, and now I have two different passwords for each of those accounts; the new passwords only work for Xfinity webmail and their portal site, and the original passwords have to be used for the POP3 and SMTP email servers.

I have had similar password sync problems happen with password sync between AT&T and Yahoo!, but they always managed to get in sync after a few days.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

dcbag
Premium
join:2009-07-02
Portland, TN
reply to bigred44
I too have been using old email addresses @bellsouth.net, however just this week I lost 1, tried to get it back, but could not, then the next days lost the other 2.

You had better do something else & save all your info now before you loose them. It will take me weeks to get over this & correct all the problems this has caused.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by dcbag:

I too have been using old email addresses @bellsouth.net, however just this week I lost 1, tried to get it back, but could not, then the next days lost the other 2.

When did you cancel service, and under what circumstances? I canceled service in April, 2011. I received a postal notice from AT&T shortly after, and my 'pacbell.net' accounts are still in effect.
--
Norman

dcbag
Premium
join:2009-07-02
Portland, TN
I am a current ATT dsl customer, I was told the bellsouth.net addresses are just out there with no support if something happens to loose them.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by dcbag:

I am a current ATT dsl customer, I was told the bellsouth.net addresses are just out there with no support if something happens to loose them.

The email accounts are now managed by Yahoo!. This began when SBC contracted to outsource email to Yahoo! in 2002.

When you tried to get them back, did you try to contact Yahoo! support?
--
Norman

myrden

join:2009-12-14
Lawrenceville, GA
reply to bigred44
I dropped AT&T almost 2 years ago and my bellsouth e-mail addresses still work fine. (I just couldn't take their blazing IFITL speed of ~2.0 Mbps anymore) I just go to www.yahoo.com and log in from there.

I just use my e-mail as webmail, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that if you wanted to use the POP stuff for downloading e-mail, you had to subscribe to Yahoo's POP service which was like $20/year or something. Don't quote me on that though as I have not done that.

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
I've used the free Yahoo POP mail since the very beginning.
I don't know what else I would need for the premium.
Their spam program works really well for me..

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to myrden
said by myrden:

I just use my e-mail as webmail, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that if you wanted to use the POP stuff for downloading e-mail, you had to subscribe to Yahoo's POP service which was like $20/year or something. Don't quote me on that though as I have not done that.

Perhaps eventually that happens (and/or it is supposed to happen), but I dropped both of my AT&T DSL accounts in March, 2011 and I still have POP3/SMTP access to all of my former att.net and bellsouth.net accounts.

I suspect that while the AT&T TOS does imply that email accounts for former customers will be converted to the webmail only Yahoo! accounts, Yahoo! has a contract with AT&T to administer all of AT&T customer email accounts, and the administrative cost for Yahoo! to keep up with which accounts are current AT&T accounts and which belong to former customers is more than any amount they might gain by actively enforcing that TOS provision. I think that the only time a former AT&T customer's email account would be converted to a basic webmail only Yahoo! account would be if the customer had a problem with the account and contacted Yahoo! support (and at that time Yahoo! might discover that the customer was no longer an active AT&T customer).

As an aside, the last time I checked the status of my former AT&T DSL accounts, I still showed up as a dial-up customer even though I am not being billed for the dial-up service. I think that being listed as a dial-up customer would still qualify as being an active AT&T customer (and that may be why my old AT&T/BellSouth email accounts still have POP3/SMTP access). Since I don't have a POTS line, I can't easily verify if my old AT&T DSL credentials work with AT&T dial-up, but some day I just might test out an AT&T dial-up connection from my notebook when I am somewhere that has a POTS connection. I have not bothered to do so yet because I can get a faster "dial-up" connection from a tethered cell phone so I really have not had a reason to try a POTS dial-up connection.

Of course the YMMV disclaimer is always active.
--

johnanon

@bellsouth.com
reply to bigred44
NetFixer, you're probably grandfathered in with free dial account as a 'fix' for some account maintanance you'd had in the past. If you've closed all your accounts and have no billing set up with ATT I'm not sure what would happen if you actually logged on with a PPPoE session.

They probably had to keep that UID active while you moved, or changed services, or needed to transfer that id from one account to another. That function is not available anymore and customers are responsible for moving their own id's between accounts.

Not related, but there if you have a 'free static ip' with a bellsouth.net residential account, if you change the account you may lose that 'free static ip'.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by johnanon :

NetFixer, you're probably grandfathered in with free dial account as a 'fix' for some account maintanance you'd had in the past. If you've closed all your accounts and have no billing set up with ATT I'm not sure what would happen if you actually logged on with a PPPoE session.

They probably had to keep that UID active while you moved, or changed services, or needed to transfer that id from one account to another. That function is not available anymore and customers are responsible for moving their own id's between accounts.

Not related, but there if you have a 'free static ip' with a bellsouth.net residential account, if you change the account you may lose that 'free static ip'.

Out of curiosity, I just checked the account status of both my former @bellsouth.net and @att.net accounts, and while I don't currently see any reference to them being dial-up accounts, they are both still listed as "Active". Presumably, the "Active" status is just a reference to email activity being detected, since I have not had an AT&T DSL account since March, 2011.

I took care of checking for PPPoE (and PPPoA) logins in March, 2011 after I closed the two DSL accounts: »Re: Comcast switchover first update!

And FWIW, I am not too worried about keeping the static IP addresses that were associated with either of the two closed accounts.
--

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
ATT is off the wall..

After years of working with mail.bellsouth.net for my POP account, yesterday they began with the wrong id and password routine again.

I have tried everything including calling them, to no avail.

The pop,att.yahoo.com goes nowhere. Mail.bellsouth.net now goes nowhere...all with the correct settings and trying with both the DSL password as well as the Yahoo password.

Only when I access "mail.yahoo.com" do I get the Yahoo mail page with thousands of old emails from my current Bellsouth account that I did leave on the server.
I still have my original free Yahoo mail account and this works fine

Is there a way for me to use my Thunderbird email client to work the old way(sub folders,etc.) with the ATT/Yahoo mail service. Although it worked for years with the free Yahoo email, if I subscribe to the plus, can my Thunderbird continue and function as before?

Thanks