uniqs
share rss forum feed

dcbag
Premium
join:2009-07-02
Portland, TN
reply to bigred44

Re: BELLSOUTH email address ATT

I too have been using old email addresses @bellsouth.net, however just this week I lost 1, tried to get it back, but could not, then the next days lost the other 2.

You had better do something else & save all your info now before you loose them. It will take me weeks to get over this & correct all the problems this has caused.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by dcbag:

I too have been using old email addresses @bellsouth.net, however just this week I lost 1, tried to get it back, but could not, then the next days lost the other 2.

When did you cancel service, and under what circumstances? I canceled service in April, 2011. I received a postal notice from AT&T shortly after, and my 'pacbell.net' accounts are still in effect.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

dcbag
Premium
join:2009-07-02
Portland, TN

I am a current ATT dsl customer, I was told the bellsouth.net addresses are just out there with no support if something happens to loose them.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by dcbag:

I am a current ATT dsl customer, I was told the bellsouth.net addresses are just out there with no support if something happens to loose them.

The email accounts are now managed by Yahoo!. This began when SBC contracted to outsource email to Yahoo! in 2002.

When you tried to get them back, did you try to contact Yahoo! support?
--
Norman

myrden

join:2009-12-14
Lawrenceville, GA
reply to bigred44

I dropped AT&T almost 2 years ago and my bellsouth e-mail addresses still work fine. (I just couldn't take their blazing IFITL speed of ~2.0 Mbps anymore) I just go to www.yahoo.com and log in from there.

I just use my e-mail as webmail, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that if you wanted to use the POP stuff for downloading e-mail, you had to subscribe to Yahoo's POP service which was like $20/year or something. Don't quote me on that though as I have not done that.

burris
Premium
join:2000-08-22
Miami, FL

I've used the free Yahoo POP mail since the very beginning.
I don't know what else I would need for the premium.
Their spam program works really well for me..

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to myrden

said by myrden:

I just use my e-mail as webmail, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that if you wanted to use the POP stuff for downloading e-mail, you had to subscribe to Yahoo's POP service which was like $20/year or something. Don't quote me on that though as I have not done that.

Perhaps eventually that happens (and/or it is supposed to happen), but I dropped both of my AT&T DSL accounts in March, 2011 and I still have POP3/SMTP access to all of my former att.net and bellsouth.net accounts.

I suspect that while the AT&T TOS does imply that email accounts for former customers will be converted to the webmail only Yahoo! accounts, Yahoo! has a contract with AT&T to administer all of AT&T customer email accounts, and the administrative cost for Yahoo! to keep up with which accounts are current AT&T accounts and which belong to former customers is more than any amount they might gain by actively enforcing that TOS provision. I think that the only time a former AT&T customer's email account would be converted to a basic webmail only Yahoo! account would be if the customer had a problem with the account and contacted Yahoo! support (and at that time Yahoo! might discover that the customer was no longer an active AT&T customer).

As an aside, the last time I checked the status of my former AT&T DSL accounts, I still showed up as a dial-up customer even though I am not being billed for the dial-up service. I think that being listed as a dial-up customer would still qualify as being an active AT&T customer (and that may be why my old AT&T/BellSouth email accounts still have POP3/SMTP access). Since I don't have a POTS line, I can't easily verify if my old AT&T DSL credentials work with AT&T dial-up, but some day I just might test out an AT&T dial-up connection from my notebook when I am somewhere that has a POTS connection. I have not bothered to do so yet because I can get a faster "dial-up" connection from a tethered cell phone so I really have not had a reason to try a POTS dial-up connection.

Of course the YMMV disclaimer is always active.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

johnanon

@bellsouth.com
reply to bigred44

NetFixer, you're probably grandfathered in with free dial account as a 'fix' for some account maintanance you'd had in the past. If you've closed all your accounts and have no billing set up with ATT I'm not sure what would happen if you actually logged on with a PPPoE session.

They probably had to keep that UID active while you moved, or changed services, or needed to transfer that id from one account to another. That function is not available anymore and customers are responsible for moving their own id's between accounts.

Not related, but there if you have a 'free static ip' with a bellsouth.net residential account, if you change the account you may lose that 'free static ip'.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by johnanon :

NetFixer, you're probably grandfathered in with free dial account as a 'fix' for some account maintanance you'd had in the past. If you've closed all your accounts and have no billing set up with ATT I'm not sure what would happen if you actually logged on with a PPPoE session.

They probably had to keep that UID active while you moved, or changed services, or needed to transfer that id from one account to another. That function is not available anymore and customers are responsible for moving their own id's between accounts.

Not related, but there if you have a 'free static ip' with a bellsouth.net residential account, if you change the account you may lose that 'free static ip'.

Out of curiosity, I just checked the account status of both my former @bellsouth.net and @att.net accounts, and while I don't currently see any reference to them being dial-up accounts, they are both still listed as "Active". Presumably, the "Active" status is just a reference to email activity being detected, since I have not had an AT&T DSL account since March, 2011.

I took care of checking for PPPoE (and PPPoA) logins in March, 2011 after I closed the two DSL accounts: »Re: Comcast switchover first update!

And FWIW, I am not too worried about keeping the static IP addresses that were associated with either of the two closed accounts.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·VOIPO

ATT is off the wall..

After years of working with mail.bellsouth.net for my POP account, yesterday they began with the wrong id and password routine again.

I have tried everything including calling them, to no avail.

The pop,att.yahoo.com goes nowhere. Mail.bellsouth.net now goes nowhere...all with the correct settings and trying with both the DSL password as well as the Yahoo password.

Only when I access "mail.yahoo.com" do I get the Yahoo mail page with thousands of old emails from my current Bellsouth account that I did leave on the server.
I still have my original free Yahoo mail account and this works fine

Is there a way for me to use my Thunderbird email client to work the old way(sub folders,etc.) with the ATT/Yahoo mail service. Although it worked for years with the free Yahoo email, if I subscribe to the plus, can my Thunderbird continue and function as before?

Thanks

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by burris:

ATT is off the wall..

After years of working with mail.bellsouth.net for my POP account, yesterday they began with the wrong id and password routine again.

I have tried everything including calling them, to no avail.

The pop,att.yahoo.com goes nowhere. Mail.bellsouth.net now goes nowhere...all with the correct settings and trying with both the DSL password as well as the Yahoo password.

Only when I access "mail.yahoo.com" do I get the Yahoo mail page with thousands of old emails from my current Bellsouth account that I did leave on the server.
I still have my original free Yahoo mail account and this works fine

Is there a way for me to use my Thunderbird email client to work the old way(sub folders,etc.) with the ATT/Yahoo mail service. Although it worked for years with the free Yahoo email, if I subscribe to the plus, can my Thunderbird continue and function as before?

Thanks

I don't know what to tell you, since I have no problems accessing any of my @att.net or @bellsouth.net email accounts using mail.bellsouth.net, inbound.att.net, pop.att.yahoo.com, and pop.mail.yahoo.com.

You may want to test for POP3 access to those servers using telnet and your @bellsouth.net credentials just to see what kind of replies you get.

Here is are edited (I edited the username/password) sessions I just did to use as an example of how it looks when it works properly:

webhost:/ # telnet mail.bellsouth.net 110
Trying 204.127.217.17...
Connected to mail.bellsouth.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK (frfwpxc03) Maillennium POP3/PROXY server #329
user myname@bellsouth.net
+OK
pass mypassword
+OK maildrop ready, 0 messages (0 octets) (0)
quit
+OK server signing off.
Connection closed by foreign host.

webhost:/ # telnet inbound.att.net 110
Trying 98.138.197.212...
Connected to inbound.att.net.
+OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop128.sbc.mail.ne1.yahoo.com
+OK password required.
pass mypassword
quit
+OK server signing off.

webhost:/ # telnet pop.att.yahoo.com 110
Trying 98.138.197.207...
Connected to pop.att.yahoo.com.
+OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop103.sbc.mail.ne1.yahoo.com
+OK password required.
pass mypassword
quit
+OK server signing off.

webhost:/ # telnet pop.mail.yahoo.com 110
Trying 98.139.235.70...
Connected to pop.mail.yahoo.com.
+OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop114.plus.mail.bf1.yahoo.com
+OK password required.
pass mypassword
quit
+OK server signing off.

If telnet works, then Thunderbird should also work. OTOH, if telnet fails, then Thunderbird won't have a chance. Also, if telnet fails, try logging into your old BellSouth email account at »www.att.com/olam/dashboardAction.olamexecute using your primary @bellsouth.net email credentials to see if AT&T recognizes you as a current or former customer.

You probably already know this, but don't forget to include the "@bellsouth.net" with your login name for telnet tests, email client use, or account access. Back in the old BellSouth days, that wasn't necessary, but since AT&T supports multiple domains, and Yahoo! supports even more domains, you have to specifically identify your domain or the authentication servers won't know who you are.

As for accessing all of your old archived email (assuming that it is stored in folders other than the inbox), you will probably need to use IMAP instead of POP3 in your Thunderbird client. If pop.mail.yahoo.com works, then possibly imap.mail.yahoo.com will work for IMAP access for you.

--

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·VOIPO

Thanks for your help.

The ATT page shows my account active, etc. as well as billing info..using the password I use for my Yahoo web site.

My wife has an alias account off mine and the pop.att.yahoo.com entry works fine and she has mail service.
With mine, as the primary account, they insist I have a wrong PW or id.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by burris:

Thanks for your help.

The ATT page shows my account active, etc. as well as billing info..using the password I use for my Yahoo web site.

My wife has an alias account off mine and the pop.att.yahoo.com entry works fine and she has mail service.
With mine, as the primary account, they insist I have a wrong PW or id.

Is you wife's email address actually an alias, or is it a separate sub account? An alias is just an alternate name for another email address, so if it is an alias, you would both be sharing the same email inbox.

Did you try the telnet tests? Did they all fail when using your account credentials, but you could use those same credentials to access your AT&T account?

If you can access the AT&T account site, you should be able to change the password for both the primary account and any subaccounts; just changing the password yourself (instead of relying on an ATT/Yahoo CSR to change it) might get the AT&T and Yahoo! authentication servers back in sync. I have had problems in the past with AT&T and Yahoo! authentication getting out of sync, but going back into the AT&T account settings site and changing the password has always gotten them back into sync for me (although it has sometimes taken several hours after the password change for all of the ATT/Yahoo! services to resync).
--

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·VOIPO

NetFixer....

First, you are correct. My wife's account was a sub account....sorry.

Although what I am going to expound on may have been said before, I must have missed it somehow...
As I have always said.."Don't get old too fast."
Since my hair is already grey, I plodded on.

On one of many obscure ATT pages, I read the following....

If you created a free att.net email address after June 11th, 2011 you will not be able to use an email client to access your email. Retrieve your email at »www.att.net.

(Mine was from way back...)

==========

You'll need to know the current AT&T email server settings, shown in the table below, for setting up an email client for AT&T email. You are only able to use an email client if you created a free att.net account before June 11th, 2011.

=========

AT&T's POP/SMTP settings have changed to inbound.att.net and outbound.att.net, but if you are using the old server settings (pop.att.yahoo.com and smtp.att.yahoo.com), they will continue to work. You do not have to change them at this time.

==========

As I read on, I remembered a comment about having to change the SMTP to the ATT.Yahoo to match when using the new Yahoo re-directed mail client...A bulb flashed and I figured that maybe this was comparitively true when still using the legacy Bellsouth email server.
Bingo....incoming POP3 back to mail.bellsouth.net port 110 no auth...
Outbound SMTP to mail.bellsouth.net port 465 SSL

Hopefully this ends the current saga. Would have been nice if the person I spoke with this morning would have been somewhat trained to recognize this relationship of server info, but as we know...ATT is too busy to take care of business. He did however, want to transfer me to the pay support as he told me they were better trained. Yep!

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by burris:

I remembered a comment about having to change the SMTP to the ATT.Yahoo to match when using the new Yahoo re-directed mail client...A bulb flashed and I figured that maybe this was comparitively true when still using the legacy Bellsouth email server.
Bingo....incoming POP3 back to mail.bellsouth.net port 110 no auth...
Outbound SMTP to mail.bellsouth.net port 465 SSL

Hopefully this ends the current saga. Would have been nice if the person I spoke with this morning would have been somewhat trained to recognize this relationship of server info, but as we know...ATT is too busy to take care of business. He did however, want to transfer me to the pay support as he told me they were better trained. Yep!

Interesting. I assume that you meant "no SSL" instead of "no auth" for the POP3 account? I don't think that ATT/Yahoo! will allow you to setup a POP3 account without a password.

Hmm, using mail.bellsouth.net for SMTP with SSL on port 465 is new (at least to me). It used to only worked on the traditional port 25 with no authentication (but it did require that you connect to it from a recognized AT&T/BellSouth network connection).

As soon as I get around to fixing the damage the plumbers recently did to the AT&T WiFi hotspot relay in my storage room/workshop, I will have to experiment with that. I just tried from my Comcast connection, but could not get connected...but that may be because they are still using an ACL to limit access to only AT&T/BellSouth connections.
--

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·VOIPO

NetFixer..I meant no SSL, of course. God, I hope you're not the one to give me the final test after class.

I think there must be a relation between using the two different mail services they constructed after the merge.

Before, I had mail.bellsouth.net inbound along with smtp.yahoo.com outbound and it continued to work.

When It stopped on the inbound, after my head exploded, I thought about the relation and as soon as I switched the smtp, it came right up.
Maybe they were futzing with it as they sometimes seem to do, but at this point I only want it to work.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by burris:

I think there must be a relation between using the two different mail services they constructed after the merge.

Before, I had mail.bellsouth.net inbound along with smtp.yahoo.com outbound and it continued to work.

When It stopped on the inbound, after my head exploded, I thought about the relation and as soon as I switched the smtp, it came right up.
Maybe they were futzing with it as they sometimes seem to do, but at this point I only want it to work.

I have had problems using the Yahoo! SMTP servers too, but it was related to the "from" and "reply to" headers in the email, not to the hostname that I used to retrieve the email. The Yahoo! SMTP servers require that the outgoing email's "from" and "reply to" match the credentials that are used to authenticate with the SMTP server. That pretty much rules out using a Yahoo! SMTP server as a common outgoing server for multiple accounts (as is commonly done with email clients such as Thunderbird, and as a "smarthost" for a local email server).

If you should run into problems with using mail.bellsouth.net (with or without authentication and SSL) as your SMTP server because of their not always accurate ACL filtering, you might try using fmailhost.isp.att.net, SSL, port 465 instead. I have never had a problem using that SMTP server using either @bellsouth.net or @att.net credentials for authentication. It also does not have the hokey "from" and "reply to" restrictions like the Yahoo! SMTP servers, or the ACL restrictions used by the mail.bellsouth.net SMTP server. I have two email servers setup to use fmailhost.isp.att.net as a smarthost with multilple users sending email with a variety of "from" and "reply to" headers, and depending on network conditions, they do not always send outbound email over an AT&T connection.

But hopefully, what you are now using will continue to work for you.
--

bigred44

join:2008-02-10
Charlotte, NC
reply to bigred44

Just had the greatest conversation with ATT.
Cancelled my service today! Saving big money every month.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
reply to bigred44

Well, hell. I was using Yahoo mail just last week (and for the past few months) with my bellsouth.net login and password. Today, it will no longer accept my password.

I tried the "Having trouble logging on?" prompts and was just about to do it when it said it would be changing my DSL connection password, too. I don't want to try that and then find that I'm locked out of my connection, too. What am I supposed to do, now?

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

kendive

join:2000-09-27
Milton, FL
reply to graysonf

They told me the same thing... I use mostly gmail anyway. Yahoo mail has gone down hill

godsmacked92

join:2012-11-06
reply to bigred44

Another thing that's happening with the ATT or bellsouth email adds when you cancel service is that at some point in the future you'll get a notification that it will be converted to be a yahoo.com domain. Some don't experience this but some does. I don't know how they go about this though.
For lost emails, yahoo used to be able to retrieve them and so are the contacts, but as time went by they got tired of retrieving them since most of the cases that they got was that the emails got popped from the server going to an email client, some are hacked email accounts.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by godsmacked92:

Another thing that's happening with the ATT or bellsouth email adds when you cancel service is that at some point in the future you'll get a notification that it will be converted to be a yahoo.com domain.

Not at all. I have at least one 'pacbell.net' email address which could not be converted to the 'yahoo.com' domain because there already exists a user with the same username.

In any case, Yahoo! will let a Comcast (or any other ISP) user sign up email in the 'att.net' domain; I've helped a Comcast user do that. Here is the link:

»www.att.net/s/s.dll?spage=host/g···tm&ch=mb

For as long as AT&T partners with Yahoo! to provide email, any extant AT&T domain should continue to work. Barring some unintended glitch.
--
Norman

dandeman
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-05
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to bigred44

After getting totally fed up with yahoo email login failures, one of the best things I ever did to permit trouble free use of my bellsouth.net email identities and by pass the irritating problems with yahoo email servers is the following.

I signed up for a number of gmail accounts that more or less map to all my bellsouth.net email account names and alias'es, and then, on the yahoo email web site for my bellsouth accounts, set up permanent forwarding of that email to my new gmail accounts.. I no longer use yahoo pop servers at all..

gmail is reliable, fast, error free and much better spam filtering.

It also functions well with my cellphone in that:

1)it can be set up to use "push" protocols, that is gmail will send email immediately to my cellphone, rather than waiting for the email server to be polled by the cellphone (e.g. using pop protocols).

2)I can do email on the cellphone or at the home computer, yet have copies of all email generated on the cellphone end up in the email archive on the home computer system, without a lot of hassle.

I still have a fair amount of inbound email to my *@bellsouth.net accounts, but use gmail for all new outbound email..