share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

[F@H] Firefox doesn't like folding?

I'm not certain of this, because I wasn't watching for it, but it seems that since my firefox browser has updated to version 15, I have to literally pause F@H or FF is extremely choppy/halting. Scrolling is stuttered bad and opening new pages takes many seconds. Once I put F@H on pause, browsing is fine. This is with version 7. I also tried it with only GPU or with GPU + SMP, same problem.

FF15 also experienced another problem, the bookmarks toolbar lost all its links and I had to do a uninstall and fresh install to manage a way to remedy that.

It dawns on me that IE has been buggy for a while too, so I have to check it to see if that is affected as well.

I also tried dropping CPU use to 70 percent.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing

FWIW, I'm using FF 15.0 and F@H ver 7 and haven't experienced any of these problems ...

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Are you using a GPU, or SMP or just mono processor?

I notice that IE is affected too, maybe.

My GPU is a GTS 450.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing

just smp ...

Jammy
ja'Krinda
Premium
join:2000-11-03
Pittsburg, CA
kudos:1
reply to signmeuptoo

I am using Firefox 15.0 Windows 7 64 bit and have no problems using my F@H 7.1.52

Jammy

Relkin

join:2006-03-05
nightmare
reply to signmeuptoo

Try turning hardware acceleration in Firefox off(and in ie too).

For Firefox its- Tools - options - advanced tab - general tab

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

I am running an online virus check just to be safe, but I turned off hardware acceleration in FF. I'll see if I can figure out how to do it in IE too.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

Ok, so far so good, I had to shut the browsers down and restart them. Trying it...

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
join:2005-04-11
Aurora, CO
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to signmeuptoo

I too use a GTS 450 GPU and had the same problem. I no longer run a client on the GPU. That worked out for me, anyway. That is, if I understand you correctly.
--
I can't go in to work today. The voices said to stay home and clean the guns.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Well, it's been a few days and it seems that turning off hardware acceleration in both browsers has yielded the predicted results, browsing is better now.

Den
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Cape Coral, FL
reply to signmeuptoo

Here's a test for you.
- Enable hardware acceleration in Firefox.
- Restart Firefox.
- Type "about:memory" in the address bar.
- Scroll that the bottom of that page using the sidebar and look for "private, resident and vsize"

Now rapidly scroll that page up and down with the mouse wheel a few times. Check the memory usage by clicking the update button on that page and then scroll some more and check again

I bet you can make Firefox eat up 2gb of ram in under a minute.

It's a nice bug they seem be ignoring that I noticed after getting my display drivers up to date.

See if that's what's happening to you.

Don't forget to turn the acceleration back off

Den

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
Aurora, CO
reply to signmeuptoo

Since your GTS 450 GPU has only 1gb of RAM this could present a problem, perhaps.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Interesting. What is the highest amount of video RAM a card might have?

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
Aurora, CO
Reviews:
·Vonage

Here are a few examples:

1.5GB
»www.microcenter.com/product/3524···deo_Card

2GB
»www.microcenter.com/product/3979···deo_Card

3GB
»www.microcenter.com/product/3841···deo_Card

4GB
»www.microcenter.com/product/3934···deo_Card

I couldn't find anything with greater than 4gb, but as you can see... you'll have to pay for it, dearly.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

2 edits

Folding doesn't seem to use at lot of video RAM, but am I wrong about that? Since I'm hardly someone that goes out buying gaming cards commonly, is the consitant benefit in all games for higher vid RAM or is it hit or miss, with certain games being vid RAM hogs?

EDIT:

Found this: »www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gra···-10.html

So resolution, game textures, and anti aliasing dictate. My resolution is 1920x1080 (I inherited a 23" monitor over a year ago). 1 GB of RAM, according to that webpage, is adequate, but now, considering the changes in browsers and the fact that I fold, I am starting to think that 2 GB would be closer to best for the heavier use.

Quick EDIT #2:

I am using GPU-Z to dynamically see how much Vid RAM is being utilized. With browser hardware acceleration turned off for both FF and IE, I am using not quite 500 MB. I'll have to turn browser hardware acceleration on some time to see how much it jumps, but I'm not going to do it right now.

BTW, Windows Aero also uses video RAM to some extent according to some statements I've seen, and I have grown to like Aero, simply because I am accustomed to it now. I understand, however, that Aero is gone for Win8?

--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
Aurora, CO
Reviews:
·Vonage

My GTS 450 works well enough for me. I don't have the need right now for more than 1GB, but I had to remove the F@H client when the v7 client came out. I have since upgraded my Mobo to a 6gb data transfer system from a 3gb transfer. Mainly because I want to install one of those SSD's, eventually. I haven't tried reinstalling the v7 client on the GPU and I don't think that I will. I run an AMD Phenom II x6 1045T and that cranks out the WU's fairly fast. Everyone's system is a little different and you seem to have a good handle on this. Good luck.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

My processor is an AMD Deneb 955 @ 3.86 GHz (I had it up to 4, but wanted to ease up on it a little) It is a pretty good CPU, but nothing like what Intel offers, upon which my eyesight is gazing.

What I like about the GTS 450 is its efficiency electrically, it gets good work done but uses less power than higher end cards and I pay my electric bills, so the savings is appreciated. Actually, I need a new SMPS with a better efficiency rating too.
--

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
Aurora, CO
Reviews:
·Vonage

I never liked Intel. Designing around Intel back in the 70's and 80's was an experience that I prefer to forget. So, I too prefer AMD just out of sheer orneriness. I have noticed that Intel users complain about excessive heat issues when running at 100% which only us folders do 24/7. A penny saved in aluminum when you sell millions adds up. AMD runs just below maximum temp tolerances at 100%, but I overclock at 15% so I run a heat pipe which keeps me about 43°C. That keeps me happy. My system loads at about 260 watts normally. I do like to play WoW, unusual for someone my age, but I have always like games that present puzzels and the GTS 450 seems adequate to the task even with 3D.

The AMD Deneb 995 Quad Core is a great CPU. Perhaps you might consider an AMD x6 which also accepts the AM3 socket? I would suggest an SMPS with 600W or better. I like to keep my power supply running cool as well.

1GB is the minimum suggested for F@H, but it interferes with other GPU processes like browsers. Perhaps you might consider a new GPU with more RAM, but it seems to me that a new CPU might be cheaper. What do you think?
--

Relkin

join:2006-03-05
nightmare
reply to Den

I clicked reply to Den but this is a reply to all posts below his.

said by Den:

Here's a test for you.
- Enable hardware acceleration in Firefox.
- Restart Firefox.
- Type "about:memory" in the address bar.
- Scroll that the bottom of that page using the sidebar and look for "private, resident and vsize"

Now rapidly scroll that page up and down with the mouse wheel a few times. Check the memory usage by clicking the update button on that page and then scroll some more and check again

I bet you can make Firefox eat up 2gb of ram in under a minute.

It's a nice bug they seem be ignoring that I noticed after getting my display drivers up to date.

See if that's what's happening to you.

Don't forget to turn the acceleration back off

Den

Tried it, didn't do a damn thing to my mem usage. Firefox 15 on an intel core 2 duo@4ghz and a gtx 560ti 1gig ram.

I'm fairly sure the lag has more to do with the gpu being 100% busy with folding and the drivers and/or hardware were just not designed for multitasking like cpu stuff.

And for reference I have a project 8010 running on the 560 right now, mem usage on the gpu was ~60MB at idle, went to ~400MB with folding for about 340MB used by FAH. As always different projects will have different resource usage.

Buying a new video card will get you more points but it will not fix the lag problem. My main rig has a gtx580 with 3 gigs of ram. It lags as bad or worse than the 560ti. If you don't mind playing with drivers some of them are better than others as far as the lag goes.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

@ Scil:

My budget won't support any upgrades soon, but maybe eventually. I doubt just going to six cores is worth the added cost right now. If I'm gonna do that, I'll get an i series Intel, I admittedly don't have anything against Intel (I almost went to work for AMD, but I could have ended up at Intel just as easily, erm, or, as difficultily, erm, uh, heh). I like that Intel still has its own fabs, AMD spun off its fabs, something that angered me in the past. AMD's fabs are now Global Foundries who don't just do AMD work, so now AMD must compete for time on the equipment there, and the engineering work is not as good as if the design team worked hand in glove with the fab teams, I think it was a stupid move to spin off the fabs.

@ Relkin:

I am fine now that I turned off browser hardware acceleration. Haven't yet done what Den says, I'm too happy with how things work presently. But I am disappointed a little as well, but you take the good with the bad.
--