hrickpa

join:2001-06-07
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Neighbors satelite dish is overhanging on my roof

Click for full size
dish overhang
My neighbor had Dish Network installed. The installer attached the dish to a cast iron pipe the LNB is over hanging over my Roof
I called dish network They would not move it. i also asked my neighbors the refuse to move It. what can i do to make them move the dish the white roof is my property the red is the Neighbors roof.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

What type of ownership agreement is there on this property? Obviously, it is an older building with a shared wall. Personally I've never owned "half a roof".

BrewBoy5

join:2002-04-28
reply to hrickpa

I would be thankful that the shade provided by the LNB protects that .64 square foot of roof from the suns damaging rays.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
reply to hrickpa

Consult a legal professional to review your title, ensure that property encroachment/trespass has occurred.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

Personally I've never owned "half a roof".

They're quite common where he is.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to hrickpa

I have to ask why this would bother you so? This is likely to start a pissing war. Unless you have a good reason, leave it alone. It doesn't look like it's harming anything.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3
reply to hrickpa

said by hrickpa:

what can i do to make them move the dish the white roof is my property the red is the Neighbors roof.

You only have three options, get your neighbor to have the dish moved, tear it down and face the problems that will cause or just take a chill pill and let it slide.

Considering how little of your “roof” it masks I would go for option three, but if you want to be b buster, I would recommend you hire an attorney before trying steps one or two…

Wayne
--
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change ready…

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Juggernaut

I suspect the pissing war is fully in thermonuclear phase. My first home purchase was a semi detached, and after a few years I was done, sold, and swearing off another semi again.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to hrickpa

I personally would not bother doing anything about it. Its not attached to your roof, so no damage has been done. All thats going to happen is that you and your neighbors will hate each others guts. If you still choose to pursue having the dish moved, might as well call the cable, phone, and power companies also, I see their lines hanging over your property in the background of the picture.

Expand your moderator at work

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
reply to hrickpa

Re: Neighbors satelite dish is overhanging on my roof

How are those RG6 lines secured from the LNB's to the multiplexer/STB? It looks like they follow the ridge, how are they secured?

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to hrickpa

Just "bump" it a few degrees! But, honestly, it really isn't hurting anything, is it! It looks like it's totally anchored on the other roof. I'm not sure, but I think your bitch is more with Dish Network than with your neighbor. They're the ones who positioned the antenna. Or... you could install a small screen in front of it... call it a solar collector... a few 1x2s and some aluminum foil ought to do very nicely.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
reply to hrickpa

Just stand in front of it on your roof, when they're trying to watch "the big game". That ought to get their attention.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to Pacrat

Call it a 'rain deflector'.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Or a "wind shield"! Just make sure it's totally on your property... by a pretty good margin.

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON

Or get a DirectTV dish, a tripod mount and place it properly in his LOS.

Shadow01
Premium
join:2003-10-24
Wasteland

1 recommendation

reply to hrickpa

place a vertical metal "art" element directly in front of the dish on "your" roof and tell the neighbor to pond sand.
--
»the53.tumblr.com/

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to hrickpa

I'm surprised no one has asked why this apparently bothers you so much.

That said, I know if a neighbor's tree overhangs onto one's property, you're legally allowed to cut the branches. If I were your neighbor, I'd tell you that you don't own the "air" above your home...

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

I did. Look up. Waaay up!

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to hrickpa

Those that live in glass houses ....

Your geto roll-roofing job is rolled onto the neighbors metal roofing and has in the picture over 20 nails into the neighbors roof, that's a far more serious issue than a dish that that simply casts a shadow on your roof. The neighbor can come after you for some big bucks ...

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to hrickpa

This seems rather petty, since it is not blocking or otherwise causing harm to your property or getting in the way. You must already have a neighbor war going on with this guy, and this is just the next volley?

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to hrickpa

Petty only begins to cover this - totally off the scale petty

People like the op make me thankful I have a life and am blessed with an assortment of wonderful friends and neighbors

None of us are near perfect yet we find a way to just along

I suspect the solution can be found in quiet contemplation and counting ones blessings.....

hrickpa

Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit
reply to hrickpa

this is a Rowehome all of the white roof that belongs to my property. The the coax cable is tacked along the ridge of the roof on their side with plastic cable clips.
my neighbors also has Direct tv.
The problem is it is in line with my antenna for my over the air DTV and blocking my signal. when it was put in i can no longer to recieve the channels that are over the air. There are 4 over the air tv stations that has older tv shows on that I watch that cannot get on cable. there is already a war over my Wi-Fi
they want access to my internet

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to guppy_fish

said by guppy_fish:

Those that live in glass houses ....

Your geto roll-roofing job is rolled onto the neighbors metal roofing and has in the picture over 20 nails into the neighbors roof, that's a far more serious issue than a dish that that simply casts a shadow on your roof. The neighbor can come after you for some big bucks ...

Yes, the rolled roof should have been tucked under the metal and then capped.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to hrickpa

take a picture of the dish blocking your OTA antennae
--
Getting it Done.

hrickpa

Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to hrickpa

their roof ridge has alot of rust holes along the ridge they would not fix it. i had a lot of leaks at the shared wall. they put shingles in spots that are verry bad on their side
they had put a porch on the front of their property
that extends 4 inches on my properties

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

If all true, time to lawyer up it seems.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to hrickpa

said by hrickpa:

their roof ridge has alot of rust holes along the ridge they would not fix it. i had a lot of leaks at the shared wall. they put shingles in spots that are verry bad on their side
they had put a porch on the front of their property
that extends 4 inches on my properties

Sooner or later that ridge is going to leak again because it was not done properly. It should have been done like I mentioned above. As for your neighbors not doing necessary repairs they can be held liable. If you can't get along I would sell even if I had to take a loss and then never buy into a duplex again.

--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

said by dolphins:

As for your neighbors not doing necessary repairs

That's libel to claim as such!
Anyway I'm not sure there is such a thing as a half-ridge, meaning the ridge (In this case, it's just not there) needs to be paid by both owners.

said by dolphins:

they can be held libel.

and it's spelled "liable".

As for the wifi, cmon dude, just get WPA2 AES security and you're done.

And the HD OTA antenna, I'm surprised a small dish blocks channels of your antenna. And it's not even because it's floating above your roof! It's just an alignment thing. That dish could be well over your neighbor's side and still block your signal if placed properly.

Is it one of those cheap little power boosted plastic antennas? Get a real aerial, you'll get more channels than you thought existed.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

No, that's slander. Slander is spoken, libel is written defamation.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.