uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Juggernaut

to Juggernaut

Re: Neighbors satelite dish is overhanging on my roof

said by Juggernaut:

No, that's slander. Slander is spoken, libel is written defamation.

So I'm correct.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
Libel is a village and municipality in Rychnov nad Knžnou District in the Hradec Králové Region of the Czech Republic.

I'm smart. Google tells me.
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
said by Hall:

I'm surprised no one has asked why this apparently bothers you so much.

That said, I know if a neighbor's tree overhangs onto one's property, you're legally allowed to cut the branches. If I were your neighbor, I'd tell you that you don't own the "air" above your home...

yep, whatever extends onto your property, in this case, at least the LNB. it's probably better in this case to just mount his OTA antenna a few feet higher, so this dish don't interfere.
hrickpa
join:2001-06-07
Reading, PA

hrickpa

the Roof is not finished yet I had to have it replaced quickly before I had a bad storm.

I have my Wi-Fi secured with WPA2/aes.

It is verry hard to communicate with my Neighbors they don't speak english verry well

the thing with the Wi-Fi that has been going on since 2003
they rather not pay for internet, they want it for free.

telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

As for the wifi, cmon dude, just get WPA2 AES security and you're done.

being the passive aggressive that i am, when i saw people squatting on my wifi years ago i put up an ipcop (i now use untangle) fire wall, and i routed all traffic that wasnt on my mac address to the vaticans website oddly all the squatters disapeared

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by Juggernaut:

No, that's slander. Slander is spoken, libel is written defamation.

So I'm correct.

Only if you're from Quebec.
hrickpa
Reading, PA

hrickpa

I have my wifi setup that you also need a username/password
to get accesss with out that there is no access to the internet
also using the 5Ghz band the 2.4 Ghz is verry crowed here

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by dolphins:

As for your neighbors not doing necessary repairs

That's libel to claim as such!
Anyway I'm not sure there is such a thing as a half-ridge, meaning the ridge (In this case, it's just not there) needs to be paid by both owners.

The last one to get the roof work done would have to pay for the capping of the ridge. As it is now, it is not done correctly.

and it's spelled "liable".

Yeah, I guess it's been quite some time since I've had to spew legal jargon.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
BTW, point in case.
said by alkizmo:

So I'm correct.

said by alkizmo:

said by dolphins:

As for your neighbors not doing necessary repairs

That's libel to claim as such!

Not if it's before a court of law.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Juggernaut:

Not if it's before a court of law.

Mall's food court. You can ask for a change of menu. There are so many menus.

BTW if slander is spoken and libel is written (Your words, not mine), then answer me this: Are you reading this question, or hearing it? DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck to hrickpa

Premium Member

to hrickpa
Reminds me of a time years ago when I installed a yagi on the side of a customers building to get service for Internet.

The yagi was almost six feet long and it overhung an ally which Apperantly was "owned" by the neighbors. They bitched and threatened to sue the customer of ours so I had to go out and move it. Never mind it took me mos of the day to anchor it with tapcons at the top of a 28 foot extension ladder.

Jerk.

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

Bruschi to hrickpa

Premium Member

to hrickpa
Take out the sawzall and cut that lnb off. I would. Then let dish deal with it.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

You can ask for a change of menu. There are so many menus.

BTW if slander is spoken and libel is written (Your words, not mine), then answer me this: Are you reading this question, or hearing it? DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN

I think you mean, 'venue'.

FYI, you didn't libel in this post. You asked a question.

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

Bruschi to Hahausuck

Premium Member

to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

Reminds me of a time years ago when I installed a yagi on the side of a customers building to get service for Internet.

The yagi was almost six feet long and it overhung an ally which Apperantly was "owned" by the neighbors. They bitched and threatened to sue the customer of ours so I had to go out and move it. Never mind it took me mos of the day to anchor it with tapcons at the top of a 28 foot extension ladder.

Jerk.

So you trespass on somebody's property and hes the jerk. Thats one of the problems today is everybody feels entitled to whatever they want.
hrickpa
Reading, PA

hrickpa

the worst part about it, a subcontrator for dish installed it right after my roof was replaced. their other dish they have on the 3rd floor the base of that one looks like a tarball landed on the base of the direct tv dish

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins to Hahausuck

Premium Member

to Hahausuck
My brother had a run-in with some Dish Network idiots about a year ago. My brother cancelled the service and the idiot that came out to remove the dish dropped his ladder on my brother's car. He left without saying a word but a neighbor was a witness. It took months to get reimbursed. What's really messed up is he had to go to court 50 miles away because that's where the company is based. I always thought that where the accident takes place has jurisdiction but I guess I was wrong.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Juggernaut

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

FYI, you didn't libel in this post. You asked a question.

You sir, are some kind of law person.
On this "issue", my "cause of action" is to "rest" on my pillow "case" now.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I 'rest' my case.

You plead 'indefensibility' of your statements. And, I'm no lawyer.
hrickpa
Reading, PA

hrickpa

the dish network dish is attached to a sewer vent pipe that is brittle. that i am also worried that in a bad wind storm the pipe would break and fall and dammage my roof.
their other dish that is on their 3rd floor roof did get knocked down in a bad windstorm the year before
my neighbors have both Dish Network and Direct TV

the dish network dish is loose. it is wobbly

Nick_L
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Pittsburgh, PA

Nick_L to hrickpa

Premium Member

to hrickpa
There is no way that a dish of that diameter is blocking your OTA broadcast reception (unless the reception is EXTREMELY weak to begin with). OTA is NOT a line of sight type of broadcast. I'm surprised the antenna experts here haven't chimed in yet.

If it really is a problem, your best course of action is to continue your assault on Dish Network. While petty, your complaint is likely legally sound. Demand to speak to a supervisor (politely but firmly). Suggest to them that you will retain a lawyer if they do not remedy the situation to your satisfaction. That should get them moving.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to hrickpa

MVM

to hrickpa
said by hrickpa:

My neighbor had Dish Network installed. The installer attached the dish to a cast iron pipe the LNB is over hanging over my Roof
I called dish network They would not move it. i also asked my neighbors the refuse to move It. what can i do to make them move the dish the white roof is my property the red is the Neighbors roof.

Obviously the dish is not the issue, it is just an example of a larger neighbor dispute. It is not causing a problem for your OTA. (though I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the installer somehow damaged your antenna line during the install) And even if you go through the process of complaining enough to get it moved, they will likely just move it the few inches back to clear your part of the roof, still in the line of site from your antenna. (again, not that it is actually causing an issue)

To answer your question, what you can "do about it" is learn to get along with your neighbors, and stop trying to pick a fight over stupid stuff. There are no winners in a war with the neighbors, eventually both sides suffer. Legal or otherwise.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to hrickpa

to hrickpa
In your first post and other posts, you bring up many other underlying issues not included in the OP.

More photos of the OTA Antenna, roof and other concerns will be useful to those following this thread and trying to help. How are we to provide you with concrete answers without the evidence?

So for my $.02, photos, photos, photos and more are needed.

Otherwise this seems to be a petty issue/s.

A little story, that some have addressed in their posts:
I used to have acreage and one of my neighbors encroached on part of it by a great deal - not inches but tens of feet. I was there 15 years before he bought his property. Instead of getting a coronary with a non-cooperative neighbor [got along with all the others in my area very well], sent a cordial letter, certified and registered, exerting and protecting my rights. I did so to prevent the neighbor from exerting an eminent domain [think that is the legal jargon] claim later and then claim my property as his. I followed with the same letter every two years.

Two years later, he had a number of problems and needed my help, very badly. I had the machinery and skills to fix his problems and did so without charge, even though it took me over 7 hours. he never offered and I never asked. Figured that he would get "it" someday. Then his well pump went out, I allowed him to hook up to my water system for a week, even though it strained my irrigation setup. I had verbal/handshake agreements with other neighbors for similar things. When initially presented with such an arrangement, he brushed me off and was quite rude. I figured Karma would bite him in the butt some day and it did, he eventually needed my stuff. And he eventually realized that living out in the country, one needed to have great relationships with those around you.

hth

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to hrickpa

Premium Member

to hrickpa
If his Directv dish is "Loose and Wobbly" then your neighbor is not able to receive the Directv satellite signal. The alignment of the dish is critical and movement like that would render it useless.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to hrickpa

to hrickpa
One of the reasons why Bell ExpressVu does not allow installers to go on a roof. They can install from a ladder on the side of the building, but can't attach a dish to a standpipe or roof beyond their reach and a cable run on a roof is a definate "no no".

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I've noticed that Directv now is installing the dish on a roof. I don't know when they started doing it because mine and my other neighbors are in the yard. My next door neighbors recent installation is on the roof with IMO the most ugly roof mount imaginable.
Expand your moderator at work
lcnoble
join:2006-11-11
Nancy, KY

lcnoble to hrickpa

to hrickpa

Re: Neighbors satelite dish is overhanging on my roof

Grounding, codes, and pipe security? I doubt the pipe is steel, probably just clay or iron. Pipe strength? I would not like electricity or lightening rods around flammable sewer gas! I wonder what would happen to the pipe if wind took off with the dish? As for loss of the OTA, the installers may have cut the OTA antenna cable or used the OTA cable for the LNB cable. Maybe someone realigned the OTA antenna! The original post has valid concerns.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to hrickpa

MVM

to hrickpa
said by hrickpa:

The problem is it is in line with my antenna for my over the air DTV and blocking my signal. when it was put in i can no longer to recieve the channels that are over the air.

Bull ! No way it would block your signal.
said by hrickpa:

there is already a war over my Wi-Fi
they want access to my internet

Simple solution is to tell them "I don't have wireless internet. It must be another neighbor's WiFi."
unami99
join:2008-04-10
Norristown, PA

unami99 to hrickpa

to hrickpa
said by hrickpa:

They are upset that you are not giving them free internet access that you pay for? That is pretty crazy. Who do they think they are?
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to Hall

to Hall
said by Hall:

said by hrickpa:

The problem is it is in line with my antenna for my over the air DTV and blocking my signal. when it was put in i can no longer to recieve the channels that are over the air.

Bull ! No way it would block your signal.

maybe his OTA is too weak to begin with and he's just passing on the blame to that dish...

maybe using a better antenna will do the trick for him...
said by hrickpa:

how can neighbor's have a war over wi-fi...really...was it like you seeing their devices and confronting them about it??

it's either you don't know how to secure your wi-fi or you just leave it open hoping nobody in their right minds will use it. que horror!