MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to hrickpa

MVM

to hrickpa

Re: Neighbors satelite dish is overhanging on my roof

said by hrickpa:

My neighbor had Dish Network installed. The installer attached the dish to a cast iron pipe the LNB is over hanging over my Roof
I called dish network They would not move it. i also asked my neighbors the refuse to move It. what can i do to make them move the dish the white roof is my property the red is the Neighbors roof.

Obviously the dish is not the issue, it is just an example of a larger neighbor dispute. It is not causing a problem for your OTA. (though I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the installer somehow damaged your antenna line during the install) And even if you go through the process of complaining enough to get it moved, they will likely just move it the few inches back to clear your part of the roof, still in the line of site from your antenna. (again, not that it is actually causing an issue)

To answer your question, what you can "do about it" is learn to get along with your neighbors, and stop trying to pick a fight over stupid stuff. There are no winners in a war with the neighbors, eventually both sides suffer. Legal or otherwise.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to hrickpa

to hrickpa
In your first post and other posts, you bring up many other underlying issues not included in the OP.

More photos of the OTA Antenna, roof and other concerns will be useful to those following this thread and trying to help. How are we to provide you with concrete answers without the evidence?

So for my $.02, photos, photos, photos and more are needed.

Otherwise this seems to be a petty issue/s.

A little story, that some have addressed in their posts:
I used to have acreage and one of my neighbors encroached on part of it by a great deal - not inches but tens of feet. I was there 15 years before he bought his property. Instead of getting a coronary with a non-cooperative neighbor [got along with all the others in my area very well], sent a cordial letter, certified and registered, exerting and protecting my rights. I did so to prevent the neighbor from exerting an eminent domain [think that is the legal jargon] claim later and then claim my property as his. I followed with the same letter every two years.

Two years later, he had a number of problems and needed my help, very badly. I had the machinery and skills to fix his problems and did so without charge, even though it took me over 7 hours. he never offered and I never asked. Figured that he would get "it" someday. Then his well pump went out, I allowed him to hook up to my water system for a week, even though it strained my irrigation setup. I had verbal/handshake agreements with other neighbors for similar things. When initially presented with such an arrangement, he brushed me off and was quite rude. I figured Karma would bite him in the butt some day and it did, he eventually needed my stuff. And he eventually realized that living out in the country, one needed to have great relationships with those around you.

hth

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to hrickpa

Premium Member

to hrickpa
If his Directv dish is "Loose and Wobbly" then your neighbor is not able to receive the Directv satellite signal. The alignment of the dish is critical and movement like that would render it useless.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to hrickpa

to hrickpa
One of the reasons why Bell ExpressVu does not allow installers to go on a roof. They can install from a ladder on the side of the building, but can't attach a dish to a standpipe or roof beyond their reach and a cable run on a roof is a definate "no no".

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I've noticed that Directv now is installing the dish on a roof. I don't know when they started doing it because mine and my other neighbors are in the yard. My next door neighbors recent installation is on the roof with IMO the most ugly roof mount imaginable.
Expand your moderator at work
lcnoble
join:2006-11-11
Nancy, KY

lcnoble to hrickpa

to hrickpa

Re: Neighbors satelite dish is overhanging on my roof

Grounding, codes, and pipe security? I doubt the pipe is steel, probably just clay or iron. Pipe strength? I would not like electricity or lightening rods around flammable sewer gas! I wonder what would happen to the pipe if wind took off with the dish? As for loss of the OTA, the installers may have cut the OTA antenna cable or used the OTA cable for the LNB cable. Maybe someone realigned the OTA antenna! The original post has valid concerns.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to hrickpa

MVM

to hrickpa
said by hrickpa:

The problem is it is in line with my antenna for my over the air DTV and blocking my signal. when it was put in i can no longer to recieve the channels that are over the air.

Bull ! No way it would block your signal.
said by hrickpa:

there is already a war over my Wi-Fi
they want access to my internet

Simple solution is to tell them "I don't have wireless internet. It must be another neighbor's WiFi."
unami99
join:2008-04-10
Norristown, PA

unami99 to hrickpa

to hrickpa
said by hrickpa:

They are upset that you are not giving them free internet access that you pay for? That is pretty crazy. Who do they think they are?
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to Hall

to Hall
said by Hall:

said by hrickpa:

The problem is it is in line with my antenna for my over the air DTV and blocking my signal. when it was put in i can no longer to recieve the channels that are over the air.

Bull ! No way it would block your signal.

maybe his OTA is too weak to begin with and he's just passing on the blame to that dish...

maybe using a better antenna will do the trick for him...
said by hrickpa:

how can neighbor's have a war over wi-fi...really...was it like you seeing their devices and confronting them about it??

it's either you don't know how to secure your wi-fi or you just leave it open hoping nobody in their right minds will use it. que horror!

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc to hrickpa

Premium Member

to hrickpa
Treat it like an over-hanging tree branch.

treeman
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
Mcgaheysville, VA

treeman to hrickpa

Premium Member

to hrickpa
Call Dish network not the company that installed it if they are a RSP. You need to call Dish and tell them how this dish is installed. The way it is installed fails QAS standards, they will most likely remove the dish as they are not allowed to penatrate a tile, or metal roof

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by treeman:

Call Dish network not the company that installed it if they are a RSP. You need to call Dish and tell them how this dish is installed. The way it is installed fails QAS standards, they will most likely remove the dish as they are not allowed to penatrate a tile, or metal roof

Why? The OP has nothing to do with where it's physically mounted on someone Else's roof. Besides I think it was stated it was mounted to a sewer vent which already penetrates the roof.
hrickpa
join:2001-06-07
Reading, PA

hrickpa

I had called Dish they would not do anything the installation was not in their system.

After the dish network dish was put there
I have been having the following problems
1. having issues with Wi-Fi connetions in the room below the dish
2. having problem with cell service on the 1st floor below the dish
I did not have these issues before it was put there.
The pipe it is attached to is clay and the coax cable runs across the ridge to the roof and goes though the window frame on the 3rd floor. My Roofer will not finish the roof until my neighbors move the Dish and the coax cable. the only problem is they refuse to move the cable and dish. my city is no help.

A friend of mine has a simmular problem her neighbor has a 20ft horizontal antenna on his roof that is over my friends roof. my friends Roof needs to be repaired but every roofer she calls, they refuse to work on because of the large antenna. she has been trying to have the antenna taken down.
The city where i live in will not do anything.

"Always check your cable and satelite bill to make shure that you are not paying for boxes that you don't have "

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken

MVM

said by hrickpa:

My Roofer will not finish the roof until my neighbors move the Dish and the coax cable.

I'm not sure why your roofer can't just work around it. However the proper thing for you to do would be to send your neighbor a letter certified mail informing them that their dish extends over on your property and is in the way of your roofer redoing your roof. It should say they have 30 days to move the dish so it is not extending over the property line or you will move it for them. That doesn't mean that after 30 days you can just go rip it off and throw it on the ground breaking it though. I would like to point out your roofer extended your roofing across that same property line and onto their roof, so if you really push the dish issue they might push back.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

4 edits

Draiman to Hall

to Hall
said by Hall:

said by hrickpa:

Simple solution is to tell them "I don't have wireless internet. It must be another neighbor's WiFi."

Just turn off the SSID on the wifi device. It won't show up on a wifi search but it will work just the same. You just have to know the SID to connect to it going forward.

On a side note: You could turn your PC off and give them the key. Once they get onto your network you grab their mac address and ban it. They can never get on your network again with that network device. I normally go the other way. I ban all device except the mac address of the devices in my house. They could spoof a mac to get on still but my $&# if they go to that trouble you've got bigger issues.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to hrickpa

to hrickpa
said by hrickpa:

I had called Dish they would not do anything the installation was not in their system.

I did not have these issues before it was put there.
The pipe it is attached to is clay and the coax cable runs across the ridge to the roof and goes though the window frame on the 3rd floor. My Roofer will not finish the roof until my neighbors move the Dish and the coax cable. the only problem is they refuse to move the cable and dish. my city is no help.

A friend of mine has a simmular problem her neighbor has a 20ft horizontal antenna on his roof that is over my friends roof. my friends Roof needs to be repaired but every roofer she calls, they refuse to work on because of the large antenna. she has been trying to have the antenna taken down.

"Always check your cable and satelite bill to make shure that you are not paying for boxes that you don't have "

let's see....you have...

1. pesky neighbors
2. neighbors trying to steal / hack wifi
3. leaking house [wall and roof]
4. uncooperative city
5. cell issues
6. did I mention stupid, if not dangerous neighbors..

»Re: Cause more Wi-Fi theft
said by hrickpa:

I had several people knock on my door asking for the WPA key for my Wi-Fi connection. I live in a row home one side of me is an empty house the other side is my neighbors. in 2004 I shut off the Wi-Fi my neighbors had a fit over me shutting the Wi-Fi off. I move the only wireless desktop and hard wired it until upgraded my router that supported WPA/wpa2
as of right now where I live the 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi is crowded
I am using 802.11a 5Ghz Wi-Fi WPA-AES enterprise using a free radius program and using MAC filtering. three access points one on each floor

The city where I live they want to use GPS to locate the Wi-fi connections so they can tax secured Wi-Fi

7. i forgot, stalkers too...

»wireless security
said by hrickpa:

I am having problems with someone trying to get my WPA2 key

some one had posted an ad on the internet that they were offering a $500 reward to the person to hack my WPA2 key.
The ad's were removed. I have been seeing people in a car across the street from where I live. when go outside they pull away This has been happening for a few days
on Friday April 24th some one rang my door bell, the person at my door wanted to give them my WPA2 key
i am using WPA2-PSK (AES).
the problem i have that the police here will not do anything.

in the city i live the highest crime is band-with theft and utility theft
Reading PA.

I would move if I were you....like one poster said before, it looks like you have BIG issues with neighbors

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru to hrickpa

Premium Member

to hrickpa
Note to self: Avoid Reading, PA like the plague.

Just move. I live in the ghetto and I don't have those kinds of problems.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to hrickpa

Premium Member

to hrickpa
Turn off your SSID...
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by John Galt6:

Turn off your SSID...

he had an SSID before that said.... no free loaders

his neighbors according to him told him that it was insulting to them...lol...

my SSID is No free loaders - »Re: wireless security

»Re: wireless security
said by hrickpa:

My SSID is changed and is hidden.
and used the grc site to create a new WPA key
I still have people trying
hopefully they will give up soon or I will use 802.11a

what's stopping his stalker / freeloader / hacker neighbors from knocking again on his door and asking for both ssid and password since they know this guy has internet because he plays online games...??

bolt
End of the line DSL sucks.
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Charlestown, IN

bolt

Premium Member

said by medbuyer:

what's stopping his stalker / freeloader / hacker neighbors from knocking again on his door and asking for both ssid and password since they know this guy has internet because he plays online games...??

The correct reply here is "Screw you! You'll mess up my latency."
lcnoble
join:2006-11-11
Nancy, KY

lcnoble to hrickpa

to hrickpa
OK, now we have to bring in the big guns. Call the insurance companies!
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned) to hrickpa

to hrickpa
said by hrickpa:

what can i do to make them move the dish the white roof is my property the red is the Neighbors roof.

Just be glad I am not your neighbor.

Wayne
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to michieru

to michieru
said by michieru:

Note to self: Avoid Reading, PA like the plague.

Just move. I live in the ghetto and I don't have those kinds of problems.

Reading is a dump. You couldn't pay me to live there. Only reason I even venture there is for hockey..

Op: Mount something to the chimney that hangs directly in front of the dish. Write on the back of it " No signal for you!" signed DishNazi.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to hrickpa

MVM

to hrickpa
said by hrickpa:

I'm sorry, but I think you're making sh*t up now !
said by hrickpa:

My Roofer will not finish the roof until my neighbors move the Dish and the coax cable. the only problem is they refuse to move the cable and dish. my city is no help.

Get a new roofer or inform this one that if it's on your property, or overhangs your property, that he/she has your permission to "remove" it or even move it of his/her way. Put it in the contract !

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to 49528867

Premium Member

to 49528867
I think I just got brain cancer looking at that picture.
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to hrickpa

Premium Member

to hrickpa
said by hrickpa:

that must be an amateur radio antenna, the city would get a BIG fine, and maybe some other action from the FCC, if they forced it to be taken down, as the FCC has claimed jurisdiction over amateur radio operations and antennas, and allow very limited control by states or cities etc. over that, mostly safety, and limited cosmetic considerations.. satellite TV is similar in protection.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

I think I just got brain cancer looking at that picture.

I went blind reading the posts about it.
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned) to iknow

to iknow
said by iknow:

as the FCC has claimed jurisdiction over amateur radio operations and antennas, and allow very limited control by states or cities etc. over that, mostly safety, and limited cosmetic considerations.. satellite TV is similar in protection.

That is quite incorrect, the FCC has laid down restrictions in relation to Over The Air antennas and Direct Broadcast Systems such as Dish, Direct or FTA, but hams such as myself do not fall under those restrictions.

"Q: I want to install an antenna for broadcast radio or amateur radio. Does the rule apply to me?

A: No. The rule does not apply to antennas used for AM/FM radio, amateur ("ham") radio (see 47 C.F.R. ยง97.15), Citizen's Band ("CB") radio or Digital Audio Radio Services ("DARS")."

»www.fcc.gov/guides/over- ··· ces-rule

Wayne

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
MVM,
join:2001-01-27
22152-1106
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

grobinette to hrickpa

MVM,

to hrickpa
I think that you should have the good answers you need hrickpa See Profile. It does sound like you have multiple issues with your neighbor but this forum is about home repair problems and solutions.