twixt

join:2004-06-27
North Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Re: WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]?

said by antdude:

Hello.

I just got, installed the latest firmware, set up/configured, and a new Netgear Router R6300 for a family client. So far, it works on both a network cable and wireless to the Internet (a new cable modem).

On 192.168.1.1/WLG_wireless_dual_band.htm for its wireless setup, there are two sections for networks (2.4GHz b/g/n and 5GHz a/n/ac). They both have these security options:
None
WPA-PSK [TKIP]
WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

Is it safe to use "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]"? After reading the two wireless security FAQs linked in this forum, I am still confused. Router did warn me that using it would not give me full N/AC speeds which is OK at the moment since no current family's wireless devices have that yet.

I find it amusing that WEP is hidden in the first section (2.4 GHz) unless I click on WPA-PSK [TKIP] option, click on the speed dialog box's OK button. I thought WEP was completely removed, but "None" is never hidden. Weird design.

Thank you in advance.

-

Hi, antdude. Have a look at the following:

»forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php? ··· c=6002.0

Please note the date of publication.

Also see the information referenced in the posts in that thread.

Then tell me what you think of TKIP.

-

It's been disabled on my machine for years...

-

Hope this helps.

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by twixt:

said by antdude:

Hello.

I just got, installed the latest firmware, set up/configured, and a new Netgear Router R6300 for a family client. So far, it works on both a network cable and wireless to the Internet (a new cable modem).

On 192.168.1.1/WLG_wireless_dual_band.htm for its wireless setup, there are two sections for networks (2.4GHz b/g/n and 5GHz a/n/ac). They both have these security options:
None
WPA-PSK [TKIP]
WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

Is it safe to use "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]"? After reading the two wireless security FAQs linked in this forum, I am still confused. Router did warn me that using it would not give me full N/AC speeds which is OK at the moment since no current family's wireless devices have that yet.

I find it amusing that WEP is hidden in the first section (2.4 GHz) unless I click on WPA-PSK [TKIP] option, click on the speed dialog box's OK button. I thought WEP was completely removed, but "None" is never hidden. Weird design.

Thank you in advance.

-

Hi, antdude. Have a look at the following:

»forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php? ··· c=6002.0

Please note the date of publication.

Also see the information referenced in the posts in that thread.

Then tell me what you think of TKIP.

-

It's been disabled on my machine for years...

-

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Hmm, I wonder if the old wireless devices can handle WPA2-PSK [AES] like an old 15" MacBook Pro from 2008. An iPhone 4S should be OK. I definitely know a Dell Optiplex with its very old D-Link DWL-120+ USB wireless adapter can't (only does WEP) and W2K SP4. Ugh.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.