MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to GTFan

MVM

to GTFan

Re: Series 4 TiVos are still being supported

said by GTFan:

Tivo and Comcast mutually decided to halt the deployment of VOD after about half of the pop was done. ATL is in the non-VOD half.

Good news GTFan See Profile:

Comcast & TiVo Resume Xfinity On Demand Rollout
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - December 19, 2013
»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· rollout/

It's coming to Arkansas and Kentucky next, but hopefully Atlanta soon.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

FYI - A blog entry of interest today for TiVo supporters/users:

TiVo Co-Founders Prep ‘Qplay’
By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - December 30, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/blo ··· ay’
telcodad

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

On the MCN site this morning:

TiVo To Demo Network DVR Prototype At CES
Says Approach Can Help Operators Develop Catch-Up Services, Splice Targeted Ads Into Recorded Shows

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 7, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· s/147521

EDIT: This press release by TiVo today is probably one of the motivations for this:

TiVo Reveals Second Screen Viewing Behavior
TiVo Press Release, Marketwired - January 8, 2014
»www.marketwired.com/pres ··· 7125.htm
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Re: [TiVo] TiVo Roamio Series News

Some interesting TiVo news items on the Zatz Not Funny! blog site recently:

TiVo Android Streaming: “In The Coming Months”
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - January 14, 2014
»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· -months/

and:

TiVo Coming To Roku?!
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - January 15, 2014
»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· ng-roku/
telcodad

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

TiVo: We're Still In The Hardware Biz

An interesting article on the MCN site tonight:

TiVo: We're Still In The Hardware Biz
Says It's Not Abandoning Boxes Amid Report That Company Laid Off The Bulk Of Its Industrial Design Team

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 22, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· z/147829

EDIT: Also on the TVPredictions.com site:

Will TiVo Stop Making Set-Tops?
By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com - January 23, 2014
»www.tvpredictions.com/ti ··· 2314.htm
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Re: [TiVo] TiVo Roamio Series News

More news about TiVo’s upcoming cloud-based services:

TiVo To Buy DigitalSmiths For $135 Million
TiVo To Add Content Discovery And Recommendation Service To Its Cloud-Based Platform

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 29, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· n/147973
telcodad

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

Re: [TiVo] TiVo "Series 5" Info

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

FYI - This post on the TiVo Community forum today provides an update on which Cisco CableCARD firmware versions have Roamio tuner issues: »www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· t9884734

A post on the Comcast Support forum stating that Cisco CableCARD firmware version 1.5.3.1101 was rolled out by Comcast in the Palm Beach County, Florida area: »forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 1#M90437

(The referenced post on the TiVo Community forum: »www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· t9896589 )

FYI - From "ComcastTeds" in a post last Friday, CableCARDs in the Houston area are supposed to get updated to Version .1101 sometime this week:

quote:
For your area of Houston, an update for cablecards in TiVo devices to the .1101 version is currently scheduled for next week. Thanks for your patience.
telcodad

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

FYI - From "ComcastTeds" in a post last Friday, CableCARDs in the Houston area are supposed to get updated to Version .1101 sometime this week:

quote:
For your area of Houston, an update for cablecards in TiVo devices to the .1101 version is currently scheduled for next week. Thanks for your patience.

FYI - In the Memphis area, Radar103 See Profile got the 'PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101' firmware pushed to their SA/Cisco cable card:

From: »[TiVo] Cisco Firmware for 6 tuner Tivo Roamio Plus & Comcast
said by Radar103:

In Memphis Comcast market. I was having numerous issues, channels not available, channels not authorized, tuner 6 not working etc.
:
... I escalated through Comcast Cares [and I got them to push] the 'PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101' firmware to the SA/Cisco cable card. YEA! All channels now appear rock solid on all 6 tuners. You just have to get to the right people. ...

telcodad

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

FYI - In the Memphis area, Radar103 See Profile got the 'PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101' firmware pushed to their SA/Cisco cable card:

From: »[TiVo] Cisco Firmware for 6 tuner Tivo Roamio Plus & Comcast

said by Radar103:

In Memphis Comcast market. I was having numerous issues, channels not available, channels not authorized, tuner 6 not working etc.
:
... I escalated through Comcast Cares [and I got them to push] the 'PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101' firmware to the SA/Cisco cable card. YEA! All channels now appear rock solid on all 6 tuners. You just have to get to the right people. ...

Looks like South Florida (and maybe the rest of Memphis), should be getting updated to .3001 by the end of next month:

quote:
... For Florida, your area [Fort Meyers] is currently scheduled for a software and firmware update (to version .3001) in the next 45 days. Thanks for your patience.
:
... We have our remaining areas of Florida and Memphis that are being scheduled to get this guide update.

Your area of Palm Beach County is currently scheduled for next month. Thanks for your patience.

telcodad

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

TiVo to be deployed on Evolution-made HD-DTAs

While this is being developed for Vyve Broadband (formerly BCI Broadband), it's interesting general TiVo news:

Vyve Teams With TiVo
Deal Centers On First Pairing Of TiVo Service With Evolution-Made HD-DTA Boxes

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - February 25, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· o/148513
telcodad

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

Comcast to expand Xfinity On Demand for TiVo to all markets

said by telcodad:

said by GTFan:

Tivo and Comcast mutually decided to halt the deployment of VOD after about half of the pop was done. ATL is in the non-VOD half.

Good news GTFan See Profile:

Comcast & TiVo Resume Xfinity On Demand Rollout
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - December 19, 2013
»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· rollout/

It's coming to Arkansas and Kentucky next, but hopefully Atlanta soon.

More good news GTFan See Profile! In TiVo's press release yesterday on their 4Q2013 results (»investor.tivo.com/phoeni ··· =1903930), they reported that Comcast plans to expand Xfinity On Demand for TiVos to all their markets:
quote:
[Tom Rogers, President and CEO of TiVo, said] "we are also pleased that Comcast has committed to expanding our successful integration of Xfinity On Demand to their entire footprint. This integration on the Roamio and Premiere platforms has been an important one for us, as the robust Xfinity library, along-side traditional TV channels and web content delivers a one-stop shop for home entertainment. Market-by-market rollouts are occurring now, with full scale deployment in all U.S. markets -- including Chicago, Atlanta and Houston -- expected to be complete by June 30, 2014."
There's some more Comcast/TiVo news in this MCN article late yesterday:

TiVo Profits On New MSO Subscriber Record
Sales Rise In Fourth Quarter, But Miss Analysts' Estimates

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - February 26, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· d/148553
sbiller1
join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

1 recommendation

sbiller1 to netcool

to netcool

Re: [TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand

Now showing available in at least two Chicago zip codes...

»www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· 10046806
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

And supposedly Georgia, but which doesn't include Atlanta zips right now.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Re: Series 4 TiVos are still being supported

Looks like the TiVo Spring update will be deployed soon:

TiVo Spring Update Nearly Ready To Roll
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - March 27, 2014
»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· dy-roll/

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

According to people I've talked to at TiVo the 20.40 update is coming to the Premieres too. Hope we finally get the new UI on them and an updated UI for the emergency alert banner so it'll stop looking like it's from a Series 3. »cdn.avsforum.com/f/fc/fc ··· 350.jpeg
GTFan
Austell, GA

GTFan

LOL, I'd be happy if Comcast would just upgrade those old 486 PCs so we wouldn't get the white block letters on black screen takeover every time there's a worthless EAS. ANY overlay banner from a semi-modern system would be better than that crap.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

I think Comcast is moving towards the blue screen and red border. »cdn.avsforum.com/c/c0/c0 ··· 351.jpeg This picture was taken by me in 2012 during Hurricane Irene while I was stationed at an OEM command center with a DTA I brought from home hooked up because the tv is in a conference room that isn't used for any other purpose and my supervisors didn't know Comcast turned off Clear QAM and one was required for the tv to work and they wanted to watch the news to track the storm.

I wonder if DTA's and legacy set top boxes don't have the ability to produce a scroll banner are used that a forced tune has to be implemented. My TiVo's, Moxi, and the Cisco RNG200N boxes all do scroll a banner, but strangely, during the national test in 2011 they all forced tuned. Interesting article »www.lightreading.com/com ··· d/678391

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

The TiVo Spring update has now been released:

Minor TiVo Spring Update Deployed
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - April 4, 2014
»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· eployed/

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Still waiting on the damn Roamio UI to be pushed out to the Premieres, or at least fix the truncation issue.
GTFan
Austell, GA

1 recommendation

GTFan

Atlanta was just added for Xfinity VOD on Tivo, got it on my Elite this morning. Works great!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Congrats!

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC to netcool

Premium Member

to netcool

Re: [TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand

I had deactivated my Premiere for a X1, didn't like it and reactivated Tivo a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, I have VOD now, Premiere in Panama City Beach FL.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Honestly I can't imagine choosing the X1 over a TiVo, especially a Premiere or Roamio, with VOD being an option now.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

I didn't have VOD when I chose to try the X1. And I did like it OK, but there were just enough issues to make it not worth the aggravation. I miss the extra tuners, though. I hope to upgrade to a Roamio after we move, but got a ton of more important purchases to make first, so I'll see how things work out.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

Good luck with the eventual Roamio purchase. 6 tuners is quite good, just pray Comcast pushes the new cablecard firmware out to fix the tuner problem on them. There's been a lot of buzz on the TiVo community forum site since August regarding the issue of 2 tuners not working with certain cablecard firmware versions. »www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· t=507973

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin

Has anyone had any luck getting a Motorola CableCard with part number 514517-017-00 from Comcast for their Roamio? I've just started a discourse with 'local leadership' about this, but my last e-mail hasn't gotten a response in about a week.

My 514517-002-00 card produces a ton of RS uncorrectables on encrypted channels like HBO, enough to cause obvious blocking, tearing, etc. The local service center doesn't seem to keep anything even close to 514517-017-00.
GTFan
Austell, GA

1 recommendation

GTFan

Not following why you need a specific Moto M-card, all cards with FW level at 6.25 or better should work fine on the Roamio. I have an old (2008) card with this FW and all tuners work fine for all channels, premiums included.

»support.tivo.com/app/ans ··· _id/2566

See the 'not all my tuners are working' issue in troubleshooting section, note they say 2.65 or better but I think they were a little dyslexic.

Tobin
Burlingame, CA

Tobin

I have the latest firmware on the card and all tuners enabled. That's not the issue. It seems that Roamio's have a very strong built-in amp and combined with older cards, encrypted channels pump out a significant number of errors. TiVo's VP of Design, Margaret Schmidt, has specifically said as much in a thread full of Verizon FIOS customers experiencing the same problem.

I have the exact same issue as them, though I am on Comcast.

Here are stats from unencrypted and encrypted channels.

Channel 803 (FXX-HD)
Signal Strength 99%
SNR 39dB
RS Uncorrected 0
RS Corrected 0
Time Since Tune Start 11032 seconds

Channel 801 (HBOW-HD)
Signal Strength 98%
SNR 38dB
RS Uncorrected 11625
RS Corrected 60900
Time Since Tune Start 13796 seconds
GTFan
Austell, GA

1 recommendation

GTFan

That's weird, because in other TCF posts I saw that they had put in a fix to workaround the issue with older cards. As I said mine is ancient but I don't know what rev it is, and it works fine. I've looked at my HBO channel recently and the strength/SNR is very close to yours but I don't have those errors on my Roamio Plus. My drop is an RG6 straight off of an 8-way powered amp with perfect signal levels (just checked recently by a tech when I had a CableCARD pairing issue).

Have you had a tech check your signal levels on the premiums, or have you thought about getting an attenuator? They're pretty cheap.

Tobin
Burlingame, CA

Tobin to netcool

to netcool
I have an amp with forward and return gain adjustment, so my signal levels are close to ideal.