uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to GTFan

Re: [TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand

No not live tv, of recorded programming stored on the TiVo already.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

1 edit
reply to Morac

said by Morac:

said by GTFan:

Xfinity VOD won't require a tuner from the Premiere, it's IPTV.

That's incorrect. Xfinity VOD on TiVO is not IPTV.

Xfinity VOD on the Premiere works the same way it does on Comcast's own boxes. The only difference is that TiVo boxes use the Internet for a return channel where as cable boxes use a DOCSIS modem QAM return channel.

The Premiere requests a program via an Internet gateway. The server assigns a QAM channel for the stream and tells the Premiere what channel to tune to.

At that point all video/audio goes through the QAM channel, while control and feedback is done via the Internet (TCP/IP).

Wow, thanks for the clarification. No wonder it's taking so long to roll out and IMO that's uh, a really dumb way of doing it when you already require HSI to get it working anyway. And you tie up a tuner that would keep you from using VOD if all of them are recording something. Just stream it from servers and roll it out to everyone just like you do with Xfinity on PCs or Xboxes, but that's Comcast for you.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by GTFan:

Wow, thanks for the clarification. No wonder it's taking so long to roll out and IMO that's uh, a really dumb way of doing it when you already require HSI to get it working anyway. And you tie up a tuner that would keep you from using VOD if all of them are recording something. Just stream it from servers and roll it out to everyone just like you do with Xfinity on PCs or Xboxes, but that's Comcast for you.

It might be a "dumb way" of doing it, but because the video is not going out over Internet, Comcast's doesn't need to compress the hell out of it like they do for XBox/PC version. I haven't tried the Xfinity VOD on XBox, but I've read the compression artifacts are very noticeable. I haven't seen any compression artifacts when using Xfinity VOD on my Premiere.

Also it can run using a "low" (1.5 mbps) bandwidth DSL connection. You don't need to use Comcast's HSI.

Plus from Comcast's perspective it's easier since they feed VOD to their own boxes using QAM anyway so everything that's available on their own boxes is available on TiVo. The only difference is the return channel, which should be very easy to set up with the proper hardware.

Granted I had an older crappy Motorola HD box, but Xfinity VOD on the Premiere much more responsive than it was on my old cable box. It actually responds instantly to button presses (pause, rew, ff) where as my old box took a few seconds to respond.
--
Get the DSLR Firefox Extension.
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

But the tradeoff is that they apparently have to enable it on every headend, so it's literally taking them years to get it rolled out. Pretty much like every new Comcast DVR, in other words. If they had done it like they did on the Xbox, every Tivo Premiere user with decent HSI would have it now.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by GTFan:

But the tradeoff is that they apparently have to enable it on every headend, so it's literally taking them years to get it rolled out. Pretty much like every new Comcast DVR, in other words.

Yes and no. I believe the Internet gateway is not headend related. For example my Premiere is connecting to a gateway somewhere out of state. What needs to be enabled is for the local headend hardware to be able to talk to said gateway. TiVo and Comcast use SeaChange's Cardio service to do VOD.

I don't know how hard that is to set up, but it can't be all that difficult since they managed to turn on the entire state of NJ (with some exceptions) over the course of a few weeks.
--
Get the DSLR Firefox Extension.
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I'm still in that "exception" of New Jersey lol

vk

join:2001-02-11
Murfreesboro, TN
reply to netcool

Gosh I wish this would hurry up and hit TN - we haven't had OD in years!

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Morac:

I don't know how hard that is to set up, but it can't be all that difficult since they managed to turn on the entire state of NJ (with some exceptions) over the course of a few weeks.

said by Mike Wolf:

I'm still in that "exception" of New Jersey lol

FYI - you just got a response to your post on the Comcast Help and Support Forum about these "exceptional" areas of NJ, from Ted Hodgins (aka "ComcastTeds"): »forums.comcast.com/t5/Video-On-D···5#M12933

"Scheduled to be available in the remainder of NJ in early May 2013. Thanks for your patience."

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Yeah I was just about to post the response lol »forums.comcast.com/t5/Video-On-D···5#M12933

Looks like early May 2013. Pretty cool. We'll see if it has anything to do with the supposed Cisco CableCARD firmware update or new features being brought with the S26 software update on the Cisco boxes.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Nope, as I've heard from others who already have the new firmware, it has nothing to do with the Xfinity On Demand service. Must be a configuration change at the headend then.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Billing department contacted me and informed me that the current Multi Stream Scientific Atlanta branded PKM800 cablecards running Cisco branded firmware from 2010 was outdated and that I needed to install Cisco branded PKM801 cablecards running Scientific Atlanta branded firmware from 2009 in order to "have cablecards that are compatible with Xfinity On Demand for TiVo" which won't even be available for Cisco/SA markets for NJ until May
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
Gigaset.net: Michael Wolf
Callcentric: 17772288600
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

they can't update the old cable cards?

and you should get more then just you have to wait for may. push for free channels or x$ off your bill. And it does not hurt to say that dish and directv have real nice DRV boxes.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to netcool

telcodad I just wish Comcast would get the ball rolling on a Tivo software box. They had one a while back in development but my insider friends said they canceled it. He said they didn't give it a chance and others inside Comcast wanted it killed. Arg! Comcast boxes look like they're circa MediaOne, "This is broadband... from 1999...", lol.

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

From what I've heard from my associates in New England, they were using older Motorola set top boxes running their hybrid Comcast/TiVo software, unfortunately the boxes didn't have nearly the resources to properly handle it and it ended up being extremely slow and sluggish. What Comcast should do is what RCN, Charter, Cox, Grande Communications , Suddenlink , Northland Communications, Comporium, GCI, and Midcontinent did with running actual Premiere boxes and renting them out, or even do some of these solutions.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by Mike Wolf:

From what I've heard from my associates in New England, they were using older Motorola set top boxes running their hybrid Comcast/TiVo software, unfortunately the boxes didn't have nearly the resources to properly handle it and it ended up being extremely slow and sluggish. What Comcast should do is what RCN, Charter, Cox, Grande Communications , Suddenlink , Northland Communications, Comporium, GCI, and Midcontinent did with running actual Premiere boxes and renting them out, or even do some of these solutions.

I agree 100% but I'm sure the newer Comcast boxes, probably the DCH or above (maybe DCX and above), should have no issues running the Tivo software. I'm sure they probably had an issue on the initial Tivo trial as they were installing them on the Motorola DCT6400 & DCT3400. iGuide was slow and sluggish on them, lol. Most of the DCT6400's almost had a tiny 120GB hard drive, 128MB of RAM (some later phase models had 256MB) and 16MB of flash memory. In comparison most DCX3400's have 512MB of RAM, 320/500GB+ hard drive and 64MB of flash memory. These specs are similar to that of the TiVo Premiere so I'm betting it wouldn't take much to port the Tivo software or create a specific version. However I would rather do your idea of having a special box from Tivo. Also the DCX3500 is an old box by today's standards and I'm sure the newer boxes are even better equipped. Comcast simply doesn't want to get with the times. My friend just got a refurbished DCT6400, lol. And I also have a neighbor who recently got a DCT2000 from 1998!

5th
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Although you are correct that the DCX3400 has similar specs to the Premiere, many Premiere users claim that the software is still sluggish due to the use of Adobe Flash while using the HD UI. Personally for me in the latest software updates for the Premiere I've noticed a big speed improvement over how it was in 2010. Personally for me I would think it would be a better idea to just rent out the MSO version of the Premiere that way it leaves out the guesswork of trying to figure out which brand and which models are best for the task, plus it makes it feel more authentic to use first party hardware rather then trying to hodgepodge the interface controls to match the limited Silver and Platinum remotes, don't forget the Premiere software uses A, B, C, and D buttons while Comcast's remotes only have A, B, and C and don't have the iconic Thumbs up and Thumbs down buttons that TiVo is synonymous with. The X series boxes and remotes may actually be a good fit due to it's higher end components and the remote having the A, B, C, and D buttons, RF ability, and battery life indicator (which I think is pretty damn cool and something the Premiere remotes can't do for now) Anyway I think Comcast is trying to be a game changer or lead the industry in innovation...that being a good thing or bad thing is to be determined.
--

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
reply to FifthE1ement

said by FifthE1ement:

I agree 100% but I'm sure the newer Comcast boxes, probably the DCH or above (maybe DCX and above), should have no issues running the Tivo software.

The XG1 from Pace (what Comcast just calls the "X1 DVR") is certified to run TiVo's software.

»www.engadget.com/2012/05/24/tivo···lans-to/

It's available to MSOs that want to run TiVo on "home gateway" sort of box. All 6-tuners are available when using the TiVo software (unlike the X1 guide). Since it is a much newer faster box, I bet it runs the cumbersome Flash based TiVo HD UI decently. I don't know if any MSOs have actually adopted it, but it's out there.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by SpHeRe31459:

The XG1 from Pace (what Comcast just calls the "X1 DVR") is certified to run TiVo's software.

Yes, there was also this article about that on the FierceCable site:

Rogers: TiVo-Pace integration will be completed in 2013
Solution will be more cost effective than Premiere, says CEO

By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - November 29, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/rogers···12-11-29

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to SpHeRe31459

This is really really exciting news, however I'm unsure if there is a fee for use of the TiVo service like the retail boxes have.

I didn't know that the TiVo software supports 6 tuners, good to know going forward.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

said by Mike Wolf:

I didn't know that the TiVo software supports 6 tuners, good to know going forward.

Yep there are some strong rumors that TiVo's own next generation hardware (coming later this year) will offer a 6-tuner model.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by SpHeRe31459:

Yes, there was also this article about that on the FierceCable site:

Rogers: TiVo-Pace integration will be completed in 2013
Solution will be more cost effective than Premiere, says CEO

By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - November 29, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/rogers···12-11-29

Anyone else love telcodad? He's a trip! He never actually gives his opinion, lol. He comes in and posts facts and then disappears until a chance to present more facts appears. I wish I had that much self control. I would probably be allowed on more forums if I did. Thanks for keeping us informed telcodad and keep up the good work!

Back on topic: Comcast has put too much time and money into the X1 for them to back out now and use the Tivo software. I really wish they would swallow their pride and do it but they are a stubborn company. They'll ride the X1 until it crashes and burns, which it will unless they develop it for another 5 years on top of the almost 5 they probably already have in. It's really sad to see that after half a decade the X1 is the best they have? But I think I read on FierceCable, or another site that Tivo was looking to exit the hardware business and simply sell the software, which it looks like they are with the Pace box. Imagine Comcast could simply stop work on the X1 and put the Tivo software, which probably runs a million times better than Comcast's software, on all the Pace X1 boxes tomorrow. But it WILL NEVER happen sadly!

5th
--

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

Oh yeah Comcast would never play licensing fees to something it doesn't already own/invest in. All current guide software Comcast either developed internally (X1) or now owns outright (i-Guide).

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to FifthE1ement

said by FifthE1ement:

Anyone else love telcodad? He's a trip! He never actually gives his opinion, lol. He comes in and posts facts and then disappears until a chance to present more facts appears. I wish I had that much self control. I would probably be allowed on more forums if I did. Thanks for keeping us informed telcodad and keep up the good work!

Well, thanks FifthE1ement See Profile, I think you're a trip too! Comcast deserves all the criticism they get.

While not nearly as often as others here, I do provide my own opinions and participate in discussions occasionally, but I'll try to make it a point to do that more often.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to SpHeRe31459

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by Mike Wolf:

Yep there are some strong rumors that TiVo's own next generation hardware (coming later this year) will offer a 6-tuner model.

As I've said before, this is going to primarily depend on if the cable provider has setup their equipment to allow the cablecard to stream to all six tuners.
--

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

1 edit

said by Mike Wolf:

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by Mike Wolf:

As I've said before, this is going to primarily depend on if the cable provider has setup their equipment to allow the cablecard to stream to all six tuners.

The M-Card standard requires that a CableCARD support decoding 6-streams.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

No, Cisco PKM 800, 801, 802, and 803 cablecards support 6 streams as well, but there is a new model the PKM908 that supports 8 streams. It wasn't a question of if the cablecards can support the 6 or 8 streams, but if the cable company's bandwidth and controlling equipment is configured to allow it.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

1 edit

Pretty sure they'd have to, it's part of the Cable Labs standards. Does the headend even know about the number of streams? For example TiVO Premiere owners get 4 streams right now without any special issues. Yet, Comcast's own equipment only 2 (or 3 now with X1) tuning. Eventually they'll have to support it since the X1 class of hardware supports 6-tuners.

The CableCARD is just for authentication, I rather doubt the headend cares what happens once it is properly authenticated.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Joe12345678

I actually have considered Dish/DirecTV because of how high my bill has been getting but the major problem is the terrible internet they supply, one being Verizon DSL which I absolutely will NOT go back to and the fact that I don't want to lose the use of my TiVo's. When I told Comcast about my consideration of jumping ship they literally wished me good luck and hung up. Either they know that FiOS isn't in my area and that they have a stronghold in my area, or they've gotten wise and now call our bluffs.
--

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to SpHeRe31459

said by SpHeRe31459:

Pretty sure they'd have to, it's part of the Cable Labs standards. Does the headend even know about the number of streams? For example TiVO Premiere owners get 4 streams right now without any special issues. Yet, Comcast's own equipment only 2 (or 3 now with X1) tuning. Eventually they'll have to support it since the X1 class of hardware supports 6-tuners.

The CableCARD is just for authentication, I rather doubt the headend cares what happens once it is properly authenticated.

It has nothing to do with the headend. The devices simply have quad tuners. The only time this could become an issue is if a person has too much signal loss. The more tuners the more issues that happen with the signal. So to push 8 tuners you would have to have an uber signal with no loss. Even now for some Comcast customers with dual tuner DVR's I've seen one tuner work great and the 2nd have drops in sound and picture. Once a line was changed or splitter removed the issue was corrected.

5th
--

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to Mike Wolf

I'm hearing more and more people having trouble getting promotions from Comcast. You'd figure they'd be bending over backwards to keep people from cutting the cord. I guess they don't care.