join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

FifthE1ement to telcodad

to telcodad

Re: [TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand

said by telcodad:

said by SpHeRe31459:

The XG1 from Pace (what Comcast just calls the "X1 DVR") is certified to run TiVo's software.

»www.engadget.com/2012/05 ··· lans-to/

Yes, there was also this article about that on the FierceCable site:

Rogers: TiVo-Pace integration will be completed in 2013
Solution will be more cost effective than Premiere, says CEO

By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - November 29, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 12-11-29

Anyone else love telcodad? He's a trip! He never actually gives his opinion, lol. He comes in and posts facts and then disappears until a chance to present more facts appears. I wish I had that much self control. I would probably be allowed on more forums if I did. Thanks for keeping us informed telcodad and keep up the good work!

Back on topic: Comcast has put too much time and money into the X1 for them to back out now and use the Tivo software. I really wish they would swallow their pride and do it but they are a stubborn company. They'll ride the X1 until it crashes and burns, which it will unless they develop it for another 5 years on top of the almost 5 they probably already have in. It's really sad to see that after half a decade the X1 is the best they have? But I think I read on FierceCable, or another site that Tivo was looking to exit the hardware business and simply sell the software, which it looks like they are with the Pace box. Imagine Comcast could simply stop work on the X1 and put the Tivo software, which probably runs a million times better than Comcast's software, on all the Pace X1 boxes tomorrow. But it WILL NEVER happen sadly!

5th
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Oh yeah Comcast would never play licensing fees to something it doesn't already own/invest in. All current guide software Comcast either developed internally (X1) or now owns outright (i-Guide).

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to FifthE1ement

MVM

to FifthE1ement
said by FifthE1ement:

Anyone else love telcodad? He's a trip! He never actually gives his opinion, lol. He comes in and posts facts and then disappears until a chance to present more facts appears. I wish I had that much self control. I would probably be allowed on more forums if I did. Thanks for keeping us informed telcodad and keep up the good work!

Well, thanks FifthE1ement See Profile, I think you're a trip too! Comcast deserves all the criticism they get.

While not nearly as often as others here, I do provide my own opinions and participate in discussions occasionally, but I'll try to make it a point to do that more often.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by Mike Wolf:

I didn't know that the TiVo software supports 6 tuners, good to know going forward.

Yep there are some strong rumors that TiVo's own next generation hardware (coming later this year) will offer a 6-tuner model.

As I've said before, this is going to primarily depend on if the cable provider has setup their equipment to allow the cablecard to stream to all six tuners.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by Mike Wolf:

I didn't know that the TiVo software supports 6 tuners, good to know going forward.

Yep there are some strong rumors that TiVo's own next generation hardware (coming later this year) will offer a 6-tuner model.

As I've said before, this is going to primarily depend on if the cable provider has setup their equipment to allow the cablecard to stream to all six tuners.

The M-Card standard requires that a CableCARD support decoding 6-streams.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

No, Cisco PKM 800, 801, 802, and 803 cablecards support 6 streams as well, but there is a new model the PKM908 that supports 8 streams. It wasn't a question of if the cablecards can support the 6 or 8 streams, but if the cable company's bandwidth and controlling equipment is configured to allow it.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Pretty sure they'd have to, it's part of the Cable Labs standards. Does the headend even know about the number of streams? For example TiVO Premiere owners get 4 streams right now without any special issues. Yet, Comcast's own equipment only 2 (or 3 now with X1) tuning. Eventually they'll have to support it since the X1 class of hardware supports 6-tuners.

The CableCARD is just for authentication, I rather doubt the headend cares what happens once it is properly authenticated.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
I actually have considered Dish/DirecTV because of how high my bill has been getting but the major problem is the terrible internet they supply, one being Verizon DSL which I absolutely will NOT go back to and the fact that I don't want to lose the use of my TiVo's. When I told Comcast about my consideration of jumping ship they literally wished me good luck and hung up. Either they know that FiOS isn't in my area and that they have a stronghold in my area, or they've gotten wise and now call our bluffs.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

FifthE1ement to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

Pretty sure they'd have to, it's part of the Cable Labs standards. Does the headend even know about the number of streams? For example TiVO Premiere owners get 4 streams right now without any special issues. Yet, Comcast's own equipment only 2 (or 3 now with X1) tuning. Eventually they'll have to support it since the X1 class of hardware supports 6-tuners.

The CableCARD is just for authentication, I rather doubt the headend cares what happens once it is properly authenticated.

It has nothing to do with the headend. The devices simply have quad tuners. The only time this could become an issue is if a person has too much signal loss. The more tuners the more issues that happen with the signal. So to push 8 tuners you would have to have an uber signal with no loss. Even now for some Comcast customers with dual tuner DVR's I've seen one tuner work great and the 2nd have drops in sound and picture. Once a line was changed or splitter removed the issue was corrected.

5th

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
I'm hearing more and more people having trouble getting promotions from Comcast. You'd figure they'd be bending over backwards to keep people from cutting the cord. I guess they don't care.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

said by mikedz4:

I'm hearing more and more people having trouble getting promotions from Comcast. You'd figure they'd be bending over backwards to keep people from cutting the cord. I guess they don't care.

As I said in my other RANT post they don't care. They are so large that it means nothing to them. They figure they have nothing to fear. You really can't use their service to cut the cord as the caps will stop you. The only give lip service to internet viewing such as HBO Go, Netflix, ETC... I have heard them tell customers if you don't like it then go to U-Verse or Dish. And that is why they are ranked one of the worst companies in America.

5th
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to FifthE1ement

Premium Member

to FifthE1ement
said by FifthE1ement:

said by SpHeRe31459:

It has nothing to do with the headend. The devices simply have quad tuners. The only time this could become an issue is if a person has too much signal loss. The more tuners the more issues that happen with the signal. So to push 8 tuners you would have to have an uber signal with no loss. Even now for some Comcast customers with dual tuner DVR's I've seen one tuner work great and the 2nd have drops in sound and picture. Once a line was changed or splitter removed the issue was corrected.

5th

Right that was exactly my point. It has nothing to do with the headend. The only issues would be at the premises if the customer's cabling is having issues pushing that much bandwidth through simultaneously to feed all the tuners. Let's face it 6+ channels at once is a lot of bandwidth, not too dissimilar to a really high-speed bonded DOCSIS 3.0 connection.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

I see that New Jersey* is listed for partial support but still don't see any updates as to when the entire state will be supported.

From what I've heard, it's hopefully going to be in May of 2013 unless it changes.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

New generation of TiVo by holiday 2013 if FCC can get with it.
TiVo petitioned the FCC back in Feb to get waivers to make new all-digital models and they still haven't heard back, so they filled a status request this month.
quote:
As the Commission is aware, the lengthy design and production cycle faced by consumer electronics manufacturers like TiVo makes it extremely important that the Commission act expeditiously to resolve the kinds of technical issues raised in the Petition. In this case, if TiVo is to begin production of its proposed all-digital DVRs in time to begin delivering them for the 2013 holiday season, the Commission must act to grant the Petition soon.
»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· ew-dvrs/
quote:
Yet, with the agency’s leadership in flux (and that nonsensical Charter ruling), it’s conceivable that TiVo may not receive a timely or desired response. In any event, two recent TiVo user surveys suggest the company is evaluating a 300-hr, 4-tuner, digital cable and OTA Premiere successor.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

My biggest concern is that TiVo is going to roll out a multi tuner model with the over the air function. My other concern is that TiVo is going to drop all software update projects for the series 4. I mean look at the fact that TiVo can't even get their butts in gear and rollout updates for the Series 3 and Series 3 HD for MPEG4 support.

I do hope that gigabit Ethernet will be included in the new version and that they will still have a two tuner model to keep costs down. I also hope that it will be backwards compatible with the series 4 for streaming and transferring in both directions since it's more then likely going to be purchased and implemented in a Series 4 environment and I need everything to mesh well and have the same HDUI interface for ease of use and familiarity.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

1 recommendation

Morac

said by Mike Wolf:

My biggest concern is that TiVo is going to roll out a multi tuner model with the over the air function. My other concern is that TiVo is going to drop all software update projects for the series 4. I mean look at the fact that TiVo can't even get their butts in gear and rollout updates for the Series 3 and Series 3 HD for MPEG4 support or new copy protection support for HBO on Verizon FiOS. »www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· t=491051 »www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· dly-731/

Series 3 boxes are at end-of-life stage. Basically they are similar to Windows XP and Vista with Microsoft. Series 3 boxes will keep getting guide updates, but no new software updates.

On a side note, there's nothing to update on the Series 3 boxes for Verizon copy protecting HBO. The Series 3 is "working correctly" by not allowing transferring and behaves the same way the Premiere does. If you are referring to the fact that Series 3 boxes can't stream, see my first paragraph (plus they don't have the networking and CPU to do so).

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

Mike Wolf

Um, Windows XP came out in 2001 and support isn't being discontinued until 2014, Windows Vista came out in 2007 and support isn't ending until 2017, and Windows 7 came out in 2009 and support isn't ending until 2020. That's 13 years of support for XP, 10 years of support for Vista, and 11 years of support for 7.
TiVo S3 came out in 2006 and was discontinued in 2008. TiVo HD came out in 2007 and was discontinued in 2008. »www.tivopedia.com/model- ··· vohd.php
»www.tivopedia.com/model- ··· ies3.php
I also came across this post explaining TiVo's stance on their older generation DVR. »Re: List of CableCARD equipment MPEG-4 support status

What I'm referring to is that customers with Series 3 TiVo's aren't being able to view MPEG4. The copy protection issue is something different.

Morac
Cat god
Riverside, NJ

Morac

XP and Vista are on out of mainstream support, which means they don't get any feature updates, just security updates. Hence my analogy. Just like XP isn't getting Internet Explorer 9 or 10, the Series 3 boxes aren't getting new features, including MPEG4 support.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

I'm not exactly sure what the point of all this is. I, like everyone else, just don't want their Series 4 to become useless the day after the Series 5 comes out, and that it will mesh well in an existing TiVo environment. That's it. Now I don't wanna continue this discussion because it's off topic to the OP.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

FYI - While the free version of the TiVo Desktop for PC will soon be discontinued (»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· ntinued/), TiVo announced today its free "TiVo App for iPad":

TiVo Launches Customized Personal Dashboard for iPad
"What to Watch Now" Combines Recommendations and Personal Preferences to Create a Custom Dashboard That Presents Viewers Exactly the Content They Want Most Anytime They Turn on Their TV

TiVo Press Release - May 16, 2013
»pr.tivo.com/press-releas ··· -1018169

Also see: »www.tivo.com/mytivo/prod ··· dex.html

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Was aware of the discontinuation of the free version TiVo desktop software. I'm unaware how that and the iPad app has anything to do with Xfinity On Demand for TiVo Premiere. What bothers me is that TiVo can't even offer the TiVo Stream to customers with Android devices yet they add more features to iOS devices.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

Was aware of the discontinuation of the free version TiVo desktop software. I'm unaware how that and the iPad app has anything to do with Xfinity On Demand for TiVo Premiere.

Yes, my FYI post was a little OT, but this is the current Comcast service on TiVo thread right now.

BTW - as it says at the end of the MCN article about this (»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· d/143342 ):
quote:
TiVo, of course, isn’t along in developing recommendation engines. Comcast is working on a new version of its cloud-based guide, internally called X2, that will add recommendation features. The MSO is expected to show off the new guide at next month’s Cable Show in Washington, D.C.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

ah ok. thanks
Still ticked off at the incompetence of TiVo or their Android developers for not having Android support for the Stream by now but that's a rant for another day.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

1 recommendation

GTFan

More useless stuff for the iPad app, no VOD rollout for the ATL. I sure hope Tivo is getting their money's worth out of Comcast because Comcast sure isn't all that interested in getting VOD working on a lot of Tivos.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to netcool

to netcool
Anyone hear anything as to news or updates?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

Anyone hear anything as to news or updates?

As far as XOD on TiVo goes, no new areas have been added lately on the list at: »www3.tivo.com/products/t ··· dex.html

Otherwise:

TiVo gains 277,000 cable subscribers
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - May 21, 2013
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 13-05-21

TiVo adds MLB.tv in the US today, nears IPTV launch in Sweden
By Richard Lawler, Engadget - May 21, 2013
»www.engadget.com/2013/05 ··· -sweden/

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

mmm hearing mixed reviews on the new mlb app, plus that 2.3.1 update is bringing more problems then it fixes. I'm now on my third Premiere 4 because of it.

Morac
Cat god
Riverside, NJ

1 recommendation

Morac

said by Mike Wolf:

mmm hearing mixed reviews on the new mlb app, plus that 2.3.1 update is bringing more problems then it fixes. I'm now on my third Premiere 4 because of it.

People with problems tend to "complain louder" than people without problems. There's a handful of people complaining about problems, but most people seem content with 2.3.1.

It fixes a number of nasty bugs such as recordings taking up a lot more space than they should and a "stuff getting deleted way too early" problem. Not to mention the issue with the live TV buffer getting dumped when a recording starts.

The biggest complaint I saw was people complaining that show details are now 4 lines instead of 5 so details can get cut off. I haven't heard any reports of 2.3.1 bricking Premieres.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to netcool

to netcool
Xfinity on demand for TiVo is available for my area which is a Scientific Atlanta/Cisco market. Horray!

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

Xfinity on demand for TiVo is available for my area which is a Scientific Atlanta/Cisco market ...

Yes, I see when I put my zip code in on that page it now says:

Congratulations! XFINITY On Demand is available on TiVo Premiere DVRs in your area.