uniqs
share rss forum feed

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3
reply to telcodad

Re: [TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand

Xfinity On Demand for TiVo is coming to the Minneapolis–Saint Paul, MN area this week:

Comcast to add On Demand for TiVo users in Twin Cities
By Julio Ojeda-Zapata, Pioneer Press - June 4, 2013
»www.twincities.com/technology/ci···n-cities

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

ah ok. thanks
Still ticked off at the incompetence of TiVo or their Android developers for not having Android support for the Stream by now but that's a rant for another day.

I guess it may be a while longer for Android:

Still No TiVo Stream For Android
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - June 10, 2013
»www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-06/sti···android/

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ

(bleep)

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

FYI - The latest TiVo accessory:

TiVo Mini IR Extender & Wall Mount Now Available
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - June 14, 2013
»www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-06/tiv···ailable/

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1

Latest news on 5th gen TiVo hardware:
»www.theverge.com/2013/6/17/44394···x-tuners

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by SpHeRe31459:

Latest news on 5th gen TiVo hardware:
»www.theverge.com/2013/6/17/44394···x-tuners

From the information provided in the Product Description section of the test report on the FCC OET Exhibits page »apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/V···TGN-RC30 for the new TiVo remote, it looks like that remote uses ZigBee RF4CE too, like the Comcast XR2/XR5 remote.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

We're forgetting one of the most important things about this remote. Will it work with past TiVo's like they have in the past, or is this so "revolutionary" that it just ends up being a big "screw you" to everyone without the Series 5?

That article just seems like speculation. I mean hell all that new money that was mentioned probably won't even be put to use for finishing the development of the software for the Premieres. I mean hell the 20.3.1 software rollout has turned into nothing more then a complete and utter failure and screwup. »www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh···t=504477
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

said by Mike Wolf:

We're forgetting one of the most important things about this remote. Will it work with past TiVo's like they have in the past, or is this so "revolutionary" that it just ends up being a big "screw you" to everyone without the Series 5?

Well since it supports IR as well as RF4CE I would think you could use for previous models. But of course only as an IR remote.

TiVo would need to supply a proper RF4CE USB receiver and software support for older models for out-of-line-of-sight support. Knowing TiVo's current state of supporting things (or lack thereof) I kind of doubt they'll do it.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

It's still unknown as to why they got rid of the Bluetooth supported TiVo slide remote, not even TiVo seems to know why. I do wish they'd hurry up and release this remote, or at least show us what the heck it looks like.
--

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

I mean hell the 20.3.1 software rollout has turned into nothing more then a complete and utter failure and screwup. »www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh···t=504477

This is a gross exaggeration - it has issues just like any Tivo SW update but my Elite runs fine with it, and the stuff I've seen is easy to workaround. Did they break as much as they fixed? Sure, but it's not an 'utter failure and screwup', it's just the usual Tivo crap.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to Mike Wolf

New TiVo Series 5 Remote (bottom view)
said by Mike Wolf:

It's still unknown as to why they got rid of the Bluetooth supported TiVo slide remote, not even TiVo seems to know why. I do wish they'd hurry up and release this remote, or at least show us what the heck it looks like.

Here are some comments on the Zatz Not Funny! site:

quote:
June 18, 2013 at 1:24 am

... Hey Dave, any idea how big that new remote is? More like the slide or as big as the others? I still kinda dig the size of the slide myself. RF would be awesome though. ...

June 18, 2013 at 6:07 am

From the one crappy pic of remote that passed through the FCC, it appears somewhat shorter than the traditional peanut and the ridges are in the center, versus the bottom. I no longer have a Slide (which was a bad move on my part), so I can’t compare the rears. There are two models a S5-S MSO and a S5-S Retail. The retail has one less button – VOD, maybe? I’m hoping that “-S” means Slide… as an audible location alert does nothing for me.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to GTFan

I have to disagree with your statement since I haven't seen anything that was actually fixed, just broken and there really is no workaround for these issues such as the Netflix app crashing, missing temp. info, truncated program data, and so forth. Glad you haven't noticed any issues yet with your Elite but the number of people who have far outweigh those who haven't (or won't admit it). Simple as that. Anyway let's not get off topic here.

Xfinity app works great
--

GTFan

You have no idea how many people are having issues or not, you can't go by the number of people that post on TCF - a lot of people not having issues don't post. If the update was as truly broken as you think it is, there would be a zillion angry threads there and another update would've been released very quickly to fix any showstoppers.

The fact of the matter is that there are none, just annoyances. No different than any other update Tivo has released, and I'm sure I've been using them a lot longer than you.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

You can't claim that there would be a billion threads on the same thing, because the TCF mods wouldn't allow it and would just combine threads for more streamlined organization. Secondly since the new software hasn't yet been pushed to the general public as a general release, every single customer hasn't gotten it yet thus wouldn't have anything to call in and complain about. We just want this all fixed before it's released to the general population so that everyone doesn't have to suffer. Furthermore one cannot say that the update isn't broken because many haven't reported on it, because many could have reported it to TiVo itself and wouldn't say anything for fear of admitting guilt or bad press. Anyway let's not get off topic and just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
--

GTFan

If the update was as broken as you say my Tivo and yours would not be usable or at the minimum would be much worse than it was before. That is not the case.

I agree here, please stick to the topic at hand in future. On that note, I still don't have VOD in the ATL almost 2 years after it was first rolled out. Very sad but typical of Comcast.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Well lets see,
1. program description is truncated from 5 or 6 lines down to 3, this wasn't the case before the update.
2. Netflix crashes and becomes unresponsive, leading to a bailout with the TiVo button, this wasn't the case before the update.
3. Entire experience is slower, this wasn't the case before the update.
4. Temperature information in the System Info screen is missing the degree symbol and the status in Parenthesis, which was not the case before the update.
5, 6, 7, etc All the rest of the issues listed on the TCF thread that weren't issues before the update.
Many consider the fact that the update caused more problems then fixed which by definition is considered worse then it was before the update.

Anyway regarding the on demand stuff. Are you in a Cisco or Motorola market, I know Comcast has been working hard to roll out the On Demand service in the Cisco markets. I was one of the lucky markets and got it in May and honestly it really is as amazing as everyone says. Also compatible with ordering programming and Streampix premium service.
--

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

Secondly since the new software hasn't yet been pushed to the general public as a general release, every single customer hasn't gotten it yet thus wouldn't have anything to call in and complain about.

I'm pretty certain the software was pushed out to everyone. Yes, the new software isn't listed on TiVo's software version info page, but people have said they received the software recently and never signed up for the priority list so they probably just forgot to update the page.

For what it's worth I have the latest update and other than the truncated program description I haven't had any problems with it on my Premiere.

As for Comcast VOD, it's now available in Motorola and Cisco markets, but only in areas upgraded headends. Comcast takes a while to roll out features so there's really no way of knowing when it will roll out.

I can say though that it hasn't been 2 years. It was first released in April 2012, so it's been a little over a year (14 months).
--
Get the DSLR Firefox Extension.
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

That's a perfectly possible situation that may have happened. It's completely possible that they forgot to update the website. I do wish that there would have at least been some sort of notification popped up in the messages area like they did for the Fall 2012 update or list what changes were made.
--

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

TiVo normally only puts up a pop-up if new features are added. This was purely a bug-fix release so there weren't any new features. Granted MLB was added, but I don't think that's considered a new feature.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Will there be one when the bugs they created are fixed?

GTFan

reply to Morac

said by Morac:

said by Mike Wolf:

Secondly since the new software hasn't yet been pushed to the general public as a general release, every single customer hasn't gotten it yet thus wouldn't have anything to call in and complain about.

I'm pretty certain the software was pushed out to everyone. Yes, the new software isn't listed on TiVo's software version info page, but people have said they received the software recently and never signed up for the priority list so they probably just forgot to update the page.

For what it's worth I have the latest update and other than the truncated program description I haven't had any problems with it on my Premiere.

Bingo, that's the only point I was trying to make - Mike seems to think (just from reading the TCF thread) that the 20.3.1 update is broken. It's not, but on the flip side they probably introduced (or didn't fix) more bugs than they fixed. All I'm saying is that this is pretty well par for the course for Tivo updates, sadly, so there's no reason to claim this update was any more broken than most of the others.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

No I don't think that "just from reading the TCF that the update is broken" I have several TiVo's experiencing the problems listed on that thread, even did exchanges of those boxes so TiVo could investigate further and when the update was pushed onto those boxes the same issues occurred. I'm just pointing out that as of the October 2012 update I didn't experience ANY problems with my TiVo's at all with the exception of a minor audio dropout in the HDUI when switching from full screen to TiVo Central and from full screen to the TiVo Live Guide and the lack of redesign of the EAS banner »www.shawnz.com/TCF/S3EmergencyBanner.jpg to match the new HDUI channel info bar »www.tivo.com/assets/images/scree···x298.jpg
--

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

[TiVo] TiVo "Series 5" Info

Dave Zatz has a blog entry on his Zatz Not Funny! blog site today, on the upcoming TiVo "Series 5" models, that he considers to be "a living document of TiVo’s next generation DVR lineup that we’ll continue to update through the TiVo Series 5 launch.":

TiVo Series 5
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - June 28, 2013
»www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-06/tivo-series-5/

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

A lot seems to be speculation, I mean I've yet to see anything official from TiVo.
--

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

A news item about a TiVo patent application for a "transportable digital video recorder" on the FierceCable site today:

TiVo unveils blueprint for 'transportable DVR'
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - July 12, 2013
»www.fiercecable.com/story/tivo-u···13-07-12

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to telcodad

Re: [TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand

As reported on the Zatz Not Funny! blog site today (»www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-07/com···t-pause/), it looks like the rollout of XOD for TiVo has stopped for the balance of this year:

quote:
We work with TiVo to jointly determine which markets are scheduled to get the TiVo with XFINITY On Demand as the best return on our joint investment.

There is some work (people, equipment and dollars) required by both Comcast and TiVo in order to make this work so priority markets and locations have been identified and worked for 2013.

Unfortunately, we currently don't have plans for any additional markets this year while both Comcast and TiVo evaluate the performance and results of the current markets where this added feature has been made available.

We have this feature deployed in many areas this year including CA, CT, NH, VT, MA, NJ, PA, FL, MN, DC and VA.

The 21 Comcast markets that currently have access are can be seen here: »www3.tivo.com/products/tivo-walk···dex.html

EDIT: An article on the MCN site today about this also:

TiVo, Comcast Enter Holding Pattern
By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - July 22, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/blogs/baumi···-pattern

GTFan

Simply ridiculous, and I hope they consider using the Xbox 360 approach over IP in future to avoid all this Comcast foot-dragging. Doing it over QAM like the Comcast STBs do may have a nicer pic with less compression, but Comcast took forever to update the headends and now they're going to bail apparently.

bmantz65

join:2001-07-23
united state
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

Well lets see,
1. program description is truncated from 5 or 6 lines down to 3, this wasn't the case before the update.
2. Netflix crashes and becomes unresponsive, leading to a bailout with the TiVo button, this wasn't the case before the update.
3. Entire experience is slower, this wasn't the case before the update.
4. Temperature information in the System Info screen is missing the degree symbol and the status in Parenthesis, which was not the case before the update.
5, 6, 7, etc All the rest of the issues listed on the TCF thread that weren't issues before the update.
Many consider the fact that the update caused more problems then fixed which by definition is considered worse then it was before the update.

Anyway regarding the on demand stuff. Are you in a Cisco or Motorola market, I know Comcast has been working hard to roll out the On Demand service in the Cisco markets. I was one of the lucky markets and got it in May and honestly it really is as amazing as everyone says. Also compatible with ordering programming and Streampix premium service.

I'm a little late with this, but I have been having the exact same issues as you with my Premiere.

That being said, I have had the Xfinity OnDemand app for awhile and it has worked pretty good. Fast and good picture quality. The CableCard pairing wasn't painful either.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I agree. Ironically the Xfinity app seems to be the best part of the TiVo at this point.
--

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

Re: [TiVo] TiVo "Series 5" Info

said by telcodad:

Dave Zatz has a blog entry on his Zatz Not Funny! blog site today, on the upcoming TiVo "Series 5" models, that he considers to be "a living document of TiVo’s next generation DVR lineup that we’ll continue to update through the TiVo Series 5 launch.":

TiVo Series 5
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - June 28, 2013
»www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-06/tivo-series-5/

TiVo received their waiver from the FCC's analog tuner requirement today. That should help get the new Series 5 models launched now:

FCC Grants TiVo Waiver from Analog Tuner Mandate
DVR Maker Will Have to Inform Consumers of Limitations at Point of Purchase

By John Eggerton, Multichannel News - August 12, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···e/144917