Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Is Fios Triple Play still a good choice

We're thinking of switching from DirecTV to Verizon Fios Triple Play. I got the impression in the Fios TV forum that the Fios TV may not be so good anymore.

I'd like to know if it's still a good deal and if the service is good. If so, is there's anything we should look for regarding the installation. The ads I've seen lately are for 15/5 MBT. We currently have Verizon dsl which I've been happy with.

Also, we have two phone lines in our house. Would it matter if we used the phone line which now has dsl or could we use the other phone line (which I would prefer).

Thanks for any advice.

Sincerely, Libra

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

I would move off DSL as VZ wants to discontinue DSL eventually. I had Directv and liked it for the most part, but I like Fios TV better because of the picture.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Thank you Jackarino. I appreciate your advice.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind. When they install the Fios, is the Firewall automatically turned on? I know with dsl it was off. I want to be sure the wireless end has WPA2, also.

Re the TV - would you know how many hours can be recorded on the DVR - I think I read they had newer dvrs that could hold more. (We currently can record 100 hours regular shows on DirecTV.) Also, I think I had read a while ago that the set-top boxes don't have a guide. I hope that changed because I think it would be difficult to finds shows without one.

Sincerely, Libra

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

said by Libra:

When they install the Fios, is the Firewall automatically turned on?

Yes.
said by Libra:

I want to be sure the wireless end has WPA2, also.

Yes.
said by Libra:

how many hours can be recorded on the DVR

DVR size is 500GB with the ability to add a 2TB external drive.

It is hard to express that capacity in hours, since that depends on whether you are recording SD or HD and the bit rate of the channel being recorded.

The following FAQ shows recording times for various DVRs. It does not consider external drives. If you add an external 2TB driver you can multiple the times in the FAQ for the 7232 by 5.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the recording capacities of the DVRs?
said by Libra:

I had read a while ago that the set-top boxes don't have a guide.

Only the DCT-700 Digital Adapter does not have a guide.
All STBs and DVRs have a guide.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Libra

said by Libra:

Also, we have two phone lines in our house. Would it matter if we used the phone line which now has dsl or could we use the other phone line (which I would prefer).

VZ will switch both of your phone lines onto the equipment that they will install (ONT).

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to Libra

If the two copper lines are in the SAME name they will most likely both be moved to the fiber. However IF they are in two different names one of the lines _may_ remain on copper for now . In this case you could move the NON dsl line to fiber and _maybe_ retain the other DSL with POTS line for now. YMMV as Verizon is trying to dump POTS and move all copper customers to fiber in FiOS markets. At some point there will be a mandate .

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
reply to Libra

Just be real careful before you make the leap to FiOS because new rate hikes and raised equipment charges have changed pricing by no small amount.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Libra

I would call to move from Verizon DSL to FIOS. They will keep what you have, including your Verizon email if you use it.

I currently have 35/35 for bandwidth and digital voice using the Ultimate HD tier. If you are satisfied with the DSL speeds, you will be more than satisfied with the basic FIOS speeds. There may be other incentives that you can take advantage of. All of the STBs (with the exception of the DC700) are HD now. The package you take will dictate the standard bandwidth.

If you keep the two phone lines, you can add a different ring tone for each. Just be sure of the package you take, as if you take the contract option, you are locked in for the contract period.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Libra

I appreciate everyone's information. I have more questions:

Can I request that they install only the 7232 DVR? If I want to attach the external hard drive, can it be a Western Digital? I now have a Western Digital that I use for backups. Could I get one of those and use the usb cord to connect it? (I don't want anything with any software on it).

As far as the phones go, they are both in the same name. I have someone disabled at home and I want/need a copper phone in case of an emergency. I don't want to have any battery backup for the phone - so if they don't agree to that I won't switch to the fios.

About the wireless. I was reading something here. Can I have them turn off the wireless and just put my Zxyel Access Point into the Fios router with a CAT5? It's already set up, so it would be great if I can just connect it. It has a IP number of 192.168.1.2. Would that work?

We'll have to see what packages they offer us. We will want one DVR and 3 set top boxes. Locally they are advertising a plan for $99 per month (no contract, I think) and free DVR and set top box for 6 months.

Thanks again everyone.

Sincerely, Libra

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by Libra:

Can I request that they install only the 7232 DVR?

Depending on the area you're in, you might get Cisco equipment. Cisco DVRs also have 500GB drives and support external 2TB drives. Only downside is the Cisco boxes get their software updates after the Motorola boxes. More information here:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the STB & DVR models?
said by Libra:

I now have a Western Digital that I use for backups. Could I get one of those and use the usb cord to connect it?

External drives must be eStata. USB drives are not supported. Also, you want to make sure the drive is an AV rated drive, not a "green" drive that spins down.
said by Libra:

Can I have them turn off the wireless and just put my Zxyel Access Point into the Fios router with a CAT5?

The FIOS tech probably won't connect the WAP for you. You're on your own to connect it, but it's easy to disable the Actiontec wireless and connect your own WAP.
said by Libra:

It has a IP number of 192.168.1.2. Would that work?

Yes, that will work.

You'll want to change the default DHCP range in the Actiontec (which starts at 192.168.1.2) so that the Actiontec doesn't assign 192.168.1.2 to some device.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Thank you. I'm in the New York City area.

If we do go through with this are there instructions on how to change the DHCP range in the Actiontek? I don't think I did anything regarding that in the Westell 2200 modem. (But I was aware of the numbers of the other computers.)

Is it better to use my own Access Point or is what comes with the Actiontek just as good?

I also have a printer networked via ethernet cable. I think I gave it the IP 192168.1.154 (I got help with that and I remember it was the last number in that range.) Is that okay. If not, would the techs know what to do about it?

Sincerely, Libra

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by Libra:

I'm in the New York City area.

Cisco STBs are not currently being deployed in NYC so you'll get Motorola units.
said by Libra:

are there instructions on how to change the DHCP range in the Actiontek?

Nothing posted in the FAQs. Just go to the LAN settings page. You'll see the DHCP range about 2/3 of the way down.
I'd suggest setting the starting address to 192.168.1.11. That gives you .2 through .10 for static devices. You can make it larger if you have more than 9 static devices.
said by Libra:

I also have a printer networked via ethernet cable. I think I gave it the IP 192168.1.154 (I got help with that and I remember it was the last number in that range.) Is that okay. If not, would the techs know what to do about it?

Last number in the range is actually .254. You want to avoid IP addresses in the .15x range. The router assigns that range to the STBs. If you set the starting DHCP address to .11 as suggested, I'd assign the printer a static IP address below .11.

Techs probably won't be familiar with configuring static IP addresses since static IP addresses are always assigned at the specific device.
--

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

If I change the starting address to 192.168.1.11, will the address of the Actiontek still be 192.168.1.1?

I checked my notes. The printer's address is 192.168.1.253. If I decide to use my Zyxel, I'll need help because I don't know how to change the addresses of my computers. I think they are 192.168.1.46 and 192.168.1.47 - I don't know the other, but I bet it's right with those numbers.

Is it just as safe to use the wireless of the Actiontek as it would be using the Zyxel?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely, Libra

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

The starting address should just change the scope of the DHCP server, not the actual IP address of the ActionTec router.

For safety of the wireless, as long as both are using WPA2 security with a good pass phrase, it is absolutely safe.

Libra
Premium
USA

Thank you Smith6612 for confirming the Actiontek wireless end is safe if using WPA2 security.

Sincerely, Libra

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

You're welcome!

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Libra

I have to say the first thing I loved about Verizon's approach to their router versus Time Warner's which I was with for 10 years is the fact we can actually secure our routers without interference from Verizon. I like the idea I can go in, change all the security settings, and not get a threatening email. It's most refreshing.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Libra

I would like to know if Verizon FIOS uses the phone line to connect to the Actiontek router or the DVR and/or set top box.

We have two phone lines and the Verizon dsl is on one phone line and our DirecTV is on the other phone line.

Since I'm hoping to keep one copper phone line, I'm wondering if the phone lines are used. (Both phone lines are not in the areas of the tvs and computers).

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

Fios doesn't use the phone line. They do hook the ONT to your existing phone jacks so you can connect phones. Fios uses MOCA

Libra
Premium
USA

Oh, thank you. So my phone lines won't matter.

Sincerely, Libra

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to Libra

It is unclear to me why you want to keep one copper line?

FIOS usually installs a "box" in your garage and runs lines to the Actiontec for broadband and also for Television. This same "box" also converts telephone signals which will also use the FIOS lines outside your house and converts to an analog line which will be run to your internal house copper telephone wiring/lines.
Therefore any analog telephone connections you would need for say a security system, or any other device which needs analog signals, can patch into your house analog telephone wiring.

So you would almost certainly have no need to keep an external analog copper connection to your house. This also saves a few bucks and your monthly bill.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

As I understand it, the digital line requires a battery backup - which indicates to me that you can lose your phone service and have to rely on the battery backup. I don't care for that. I want a phone line that is reliable and always there. How reliable do you find the digital phone? Also, I have a printer which can fax. The fax won't work with a digital line. I don't use it much, but it's nice to know it's available.

Even more important, if for some reason I don't like Fios and they remove my copper I won't be able to go back to dsl - although I have the feeling that if I wanted to do that Verizon might not like it and may not comply.

Regarding billing and everything else, I think it would be better to switch the dsl phone line to Fios BUT I'm thinking of using the other line just so the dsl line would be available since it goes directly to my computer. As you can see I'm a bit confused about all of this.

About the costs, the phone line that is connected to the dsl costs about $75 for both plus taxes and fees. I have a cell phone bill bundled with that phone which runs about $205 a month. I also have the wire maintenance for $7.99 per month.

My other phone line has a freedom essentials plan and for the phone alone (including $7.99 maintenance) the bill is about $67 - that's with a $10 discount.

Is it necessary to have wire maintenance on a digital line, or can digital be fixed without anyone coming to the house?

Sincerely, Libra

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

Verizon no longer offers phone service to new/upgrading customers that is always active through a storm w/o a BBU

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to Libra

said by Libra:

The fax won't work with a digital line.

Not true. Fax will work just fine over FIOS.
said by Libra:

Is it necessary to have wire maintenance on a digital line, or can digital be fixed without anyone coming to the house?

Wire maintenance plan has nothing to do with whether your line is digital or POTS. Wire maintenance plan covers your inside phone wiring, not the line from the CO.
--

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to Libra

said by Libra:

As I understand it, the digital line requires a battery backup - which indicates to me that you can lose your phone service and have to rely on the battery backup. I don't care for that. I want a phone line that is reliable and always there.

I have two elderly friends who have been switched to FiOS for their phone service because of too many complaints on poor copper connections. Their service and billing has not been changed, only the way it's delivered. They were concerned about battery backup and service time, so I studied the ONT/BBU.

First, since the fiber network is passive, any outage that is fiber-related will likely affect the copper as well, such as pole down, fiber/wire damaged. The fiber line is kevlar reinforced so it's safe to say copper and fiber are equal in terms of storm durability.

Second, an outage at the CO will similarly be equal between fiber and copper. No power = no signal. We'll assume the backup power in the CO to run the switching equipment does not favor one system over the other because it doesn't make any sense for VZ to do so. In other words, an engineer specifying power requirements will look at the entire CO, not just a subsystem. If the CO goes dark, both copper and fiber go offline.

So, it really boils down to what happens at the home. With a reasonably fresh battery, the BBU will provide almost 8 hours of uninterrupted telephone run time. There is still some battery life remaining which can be used by pressing the Battery Emergency Use button.
said by »FiOS BBU operation [long post] :
Testing a single, fully charged 7AH battery yielded 7.25 hours runtime before LowBattery status went high. Battery voltage at that point was 11.78V. Pressing the Battery Emergency Use button restarted the ONT which yielded an additional 2.75 hours runtime with battery level at 10.94V before the ONT shut down.
Please note that during the test the BBU had been modified to keep TV and data running. As originally configured, those circuits do shut down after 15 minutes of outage, keeping only phone service running, so it's reasonable to expect more than 8 hours of telephone runtime.

Also, there is an external jack which will enable an auxiliary battery to power the ONT. This is not well-documented, and probably not supported by VZ. Techs I've spoken to were not aware of this feature. One tech said he heard about it but had no further knowledge of how it worked. I was able to fabricate an adapter cable to show proof of operation. Although every BBU I've seen has this feature, there is no assurance all BBUs in VZ inventory operate the same way.

Finally, in 30 years of living in potential hurricane territory, I have only had four power outages lasting longer than 8 hours. Maybe I've been more fortunate than others, maybe not. I do know that after I lost a freezer after Hurricane Gloria in 1985, I have since had a generator to provide backup power, and can run an extension cord over to my ONT/BBU to maintain power during an extended outage. Since FiOS was installed in 2006, my phone service has been absolutely reliable.

On another note, we have a fax line we use daily without problem.

Hope this helps.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Thank you everyone. You've convinced me that the digital phone line is good (I imagine that the Fios internet is better that dsl, although I'm happy with our dsl). So if I let them switch to digital on both lines I can't go back to dsl.

It's interesting that you can use the fax over the digital line. My HP printer states that you must use an analog line, that a digital won't work.

Is there anything I need to know about the Actiontek router (like model, revision number) to be sure what I get is good.

If I can't go back to dsl, should I go with the two year contract plan (I saw that online), it seemed to have some benefits.

I pretty much got cross-eyed trying to look at the different TV packages. We currently have DirecTV with almost all premium channels for $144 a month. I noticed that the Extreme offers HBO as part of the triple bundle. We would want another premium and one Encore channel. I'll have to discuss that with a rep when we call to arrange the install.

One other question - in the basement where I imagine the ONT, etc. would go there are outlets but none available for this. There is an outlet across the room - would they be able to use that?

Sincerely, Libra

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by Libra:

My HP printer states that you must use an analog line, that a digital won't work.

What comes out of the ONT is analog (POTS).

What the HP manual is referring to are primarily office phone systems where the connection from the phone to the switch is a proprietary digital or VOIP connection.

said by Libra:

Is there anything I need to know about the Actiontek router (like model, revision number) to be sure what I get is good.

The installer should provide a rev I (the latest) on a new install. It's good to ask just to make sure.

said by Libra:

in the basement where I imagine the ONT, etc. would go there are outlets but none available for this. There is an outlet across the room - would they be able to use that?

Is a power strip an option?
Or a six outlet adapter like this?

To answer your question, yes, VZ can install the battery backup unit (BBU) on the other side of the room and run low voltage wire to the ONT as long as the distance is less than 50 feet.
--

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I didn't realize the signal from the ONT is analog!

I checked out the basement. There is a strip with 2 available outlets remaining where I think they would put the ONT.

I appreciate your help very much. I think we'll be calling to set this up soon.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I called Verizon today and got a 2 year contract. They're installing this Wednesday. I was told that after installation if I want the higher memory MR DVR I have to order it online for a one-time cost of $20. I would have preferred to just order the installation with that included. I hope the site will be specific to show that I can order the 7232.

In order to get 2 premium channels we're getting the Extreme HD plan which includes 50mbps/25mbps.

When I questioned the model of dvr and actiontek the salesman didn't know what I was talking about.

I hope it all goes well. I appreciate everyone's help.

Sincerely, Libra

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

Ask the installer what model DVR he's installing. If he says 7216, ask him if he has a 7232 on his truck. Chances he will have one and will give it to you if you ask.
--