spc
Search similar:

uniqs
maikii
join:2012-08-08
Pacific Palisades, CA

maikii

Strange Problem

I have had problems with Verizon DSL since I moved in April--slow speeds, no connection, etc.

However, the problem at the moment is very unusual.. Everything looks like a good connection, but there is no connection!

The modem (Westell 327) has the DSL and Internet lights on steady, as if there is an Internet connection. On the computer, if I go to the router web page (192.168.1.1), it shows connected to the internet, what is more it shows full speed. Everything looks great on that page, no errors. The wireless connection looks great too. (Well, that is always great, but internet is not.)

However, I cannot access any web page, I cannot access my e-mail, if I open a commmand line and type ping www.yahoo.com (or google), no connection is made.

The thought occurs--perhaps a DNS problem. So I switch from the default auto DNS to Google DNS 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4. I disable and re-enable my wireless adapter, and try again. Still no connection. Might it be my computer. I connect to the network via wi-fi with my Ipod Touch, and same thing, no connection.

How am I writing this? Connected through a neighbor's wi-fi (also Verizon DSL).

What could be happening--if the modem lights look fine, the router page looks fine, but one cannot connect to anything? What might be going on.

Responses will be appreciated. Thank you.
josw
join:2000-12-26
Spotsylvania, VA

josw

check "walled Garden"
maikii
Pacific Palisades, CA

maikii

losw-

Why would the walled garden be on? You may have seen a post of mine that I received a new modem, the Actiontec GT784WN-VZ, however I have not yet connected it, and not yet disconnected my old modem, the Westell 327w.

Does VZ Tech deactivate the old modem somehow some days after they send a new one, even if one does not change the modem? (I received the new modem last Friday, August 31. As of last night, Tuesday September 4, I could still connect with it. After a few days do they automatically deactivate it, even if one has not changed modem-routers?
maikii

maikii

It worked! Thank you, JASW!

I looked at the FAQ on disabling the walled garden, and for my Westell 327w modem typed in 192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm. I then got a warning about a restricted page, and saw a button that said "Enable". I clicked it, went to the router page that again showed everything fine, but alas, still could not connect to anything on the Internet.

I turned off and disconnected the modem for fifteen minutes or so. After starting it back up, same thing-router page looked fine, but no Internet.

I decided to try 192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm once more. This time---same warning about restricted page, but instead of saying "Enable" the button said "Disable". That made me hesitate, because I thought it meant disable the Internet. I figured though, that afterwards I could enable again, so I clicked it. Now I thought I would re-enable, went to that restricted page again, and yes, the button now said Enable, which I was about to click. But then it occurred to me to try connecting to a web page now, before clicking it. I did, and could connect.

I guess therefore, that means Enable the walled garden, and Disable it. At the beginning it thought it was disabled, therefore offered me the Enable button. But it had been enabled somewhere else. I had to click that, in order to see the Disable button, and then I could turn off the WG.

Now I am still curious though. Why was my WG turned on? (See my previous post.)

Will I change to the new modem? Only when I start having serious trouble again. No use changing something that's working. (don't know how long.....)

By the way, regarding disabling the WG. In another thread of mine, a guy insisted that only older modems like my 327w could disable the WG (in fact, at first he said only the 6100), but not the newer ones, like my new one. Is that so?

anonAAA
@verizon.net

anonAAA

Anon

What's happening is that your modem is being reset to factory settings after you turn off and disconnect the modem. If you want to keep the walled garden off when you turn off the modem, don't disconnect it from its power supply (and don't press the reset button if you're doing so).

If you experience problems with the modem and you do decide to reset it to see if it will alleviate the problems, you will have to go through the procedure of turning off the walled garden again.

jrb1joey
@verizon.net

jrb1joey to maikii

Anon

to maikii
I have a Westell. Same problem in Baltimore, Md.
Verizon tech support is now automated. Once you tell the automated
support you are connected, it says you are not having a problem and hangs up. I talked to a couple of other people in town and they have said they have been having the same problem this week.
Hey Verizon being connected but not have web pages load does not make me happy. Especially since so many companies want you to go to ebill. You can not pay ebill SPRINT if Verizon internet does not work.
josw
join:2000-12-26
Spotsylvania, VA

josw to maikii

to maikii
Great I thought thats what it was, but I was headed out of town (just got back) and didnt have time to explain but I thought their was enough topics on it you would get it done.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to jrb1joey

Premium Member

to jrb1joey
said by jrb1joey :

Especially since so many companies want you to go to ebill. You can not pay ebill SPRINT if Verizon internet does not work.

This is why a backup way to get online is a good idea. Even a smart phone with a hotspot even with a capped plan for emergency. If an at home backup is not possible locate a MCD'S or library with public WI-FI that you can bring a laptop to.
maikii
Pacific Palisades, CA

maikii

anonAAA-- I had not turned off nor disconnected the modem, at the time this happened.

However, there have been other days that I have done so, and that did not bring on the walled garden.

I am still guessing that it has to do with the fact that they sent me a new modem (still not installed, as my connection has been good lately.

If the wg comes on every time you turn off and turn on the modem, there may be something wrong with your modem. Tell VZ tech supt about it, and request a new modem. (Do not mention deactivating the wg though.)

jrbjoey-- I have no idea what you mean by "Verizon tech support is automated". I have spoken to a human being (somewhere in the world) every time I have called, not a robot. I don't know how that could be considered "automated"? VZ has most likely the worst tech support of any company on this earth, but I don't know about it being "automated".

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to maikii

Premium Member

to maikii
Are you by any chance running Mamutu? For the past couple of weeks I was getting the "unable to connect to server" screen even though all my network connections were showing as good. Thought it was my router. Went on vacation and used a different router - and it happened again. Thought it was my network card. Disabled it and used a USB wifi plug - still happened. Tried different browsers, eliminated add-ons. Still had the problem intermittently. Worked through my security programs and found that by shutting down Mamutu, the problem has cleared up.

There has been no version change in Mamutu recently to account for a problem - I've been running it for years with the exact same security programs without a problem, and it shouldn't block my access to servers anyway, but something was causing a conflict that stopping that particular program was removed from my mix.
maikii
Pacific Palisades, CA

maikii

I have no idea what Mamutu is. So, no.
said by DownTheShore:

Are you by any chance running Mamutu? For the past couple of weeks I was getting the "unable to connect to server" screen even though all my network connections were showing as good. Thought it was my router. Went on vacation and used a different router - and it happened again. Thought it was my network card. Disabled it and used a USB wifi plug - still happened. Tried different browsers, eliminated add-ons. Still had the problem intermittently. Worked through my security programs and found that by shutting down Mamutu, the problem has cleared up.

There has been no version change in Mamutu recently to account for a problem - I've been running it for years with the exact same security programs without a problem, and it shouldn't block my access to servers anyway, but something was causing a conflict that stopping that particular program was removed from my mix.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

It's a malware behavioral blocker, similar in function to Threat Fire.

»www.emsisoft.com/en/soft ··· /mamutu/

Since Mamutu has been turned off, I haven't had the problem. I've switched to MBAM Pro instead (I already had a license for it), with its website blocking feature turned off (since that just duplicates other protection I already have).