fnord76
Elder God
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL

fnord76

Premium Member

SSD Questions

So I believe my HDD is starting to have trouble so I was thinking about upgrading to a SSD. I currently have a 160GB HDD and have barely enough room for my stuff. I was thinking about the SSD to improve performance, but had heard that the SSDs have trouble with overheating with drives bigger that 100GB. I had heard of people using the SSD just for the OS and using another HDD for the rest. What are your guys thoughts about SSDs?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Never heard that rumor. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with SSDs over 100 GB.

They do, however, perform faster the more free space is on them, so don't buy a 120GB drive if you have 110 GB of files. Try to keep 20-40% free for fastest performance.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to fnord76

Premium Member

to fnord76
I have never heard about overheating and I am a giant advocate of SSDs. I would buy a 240-256GB SSD for around $150 and be done with it.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to fnord76

to fnord76
Love 'em. Follow the instructions (never use defrag; install as boot device) and they work wonders. Two things I have learned, though. Buy the largest SSD you can afford (NAND prices are dropping well below the $1/GB range) and buy the best quality you can afford. I've had a bad experience with OCZ and nothing but good experiences with Intel (current machine has two Intel SSD's).

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Yeah, experiences with quality and DOA can be hit or miss. By many narratives, I should have experienced a failure--I have been using a Vertex 2 (one of the older OCZs) in my desktop for 19 months, and an ADATA in my laptop for the past 8 months, zero problems with either of them.

I would not be against a Vertex 4 for a new SSD, although I might stay away from the Agilities, because in at least the 3 series they used pretty much any hardware they could get their hands on.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain to fnord76

to fnord76
It's not unheard of to find new tech SSDs in the $.65/GB range.

I saw a 240GB SanDisk ExtremeSSD the other day for $155...you can't beat a deal like that.

Kris is right, if you've got 110GB of files, don't get a 120GB drive. Unless you want to get it just to boot your OS from (Win7 x64 is ~25GB).

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Lowest I have seen was a 240GB SanDisk SSD for $119.99.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

You can't beat that with a stick.

$.50/gb is insane. And, if it was the ExtremeSSD model, it's gotten rave reviews from everyone. I would have rather gotten one of those at that price than my Samsung 830 128GB for $109.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL

fnord76

Premium Member

Sweet, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can catch a deal at Christmas time.