uniqs
share rss forum feed

IIgs
Premium
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Bell/TSI "accidentally" disconnected my DSL!

You know those nightmare scenarios you hear about where your Internet service is inadvertently cut off due to human error/studipity, well, lucky me, I'm living that nightmare right now!

Where to begin...

-Monday, So I return home after the labour day weekend and discover my Internet is out. Look under my desk and for the first time in 10 years, my DSL modem has NO sync. After an extensive check of my physical set up and trying two or three different back up modems, nothing. nada. As a final test I plug in an old Harmonie line land phone WITHOUT a filter and other than a dial-tone, crystal-clear silence....none of the familiar hissing noise when DSL is present on a wet loop.

Contact TSI, and after an extensive wait on hold, check with billing and my account is in good standing; okay. Next transfer to technical support and they're confused. We go through the usual trouble-shooting steps, no change. Upon my request, the tech pulls up my line stats which show a perfect signal: flawless attenuation, snr, line occupancy, etc. A perfect signal that was abruptly and mysteriously disconnected at 4pm that same day. So we open a ticket, with a promise this will be fixed without 24-48 hours.

-Tuesday, I get home and find a vague message from TSI on my answering machine, saying my ticket was closed and I need to call back in! Call back in, wait on hold a good hour or so, and the agent is confused. Tells me Bell tried to call me but I wasn't home, so they DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AND CLOSED MY TICKET. What the hell? Why didn't TSI instruct them to go check my connection at the CO?

In any case, the agent claims I need to do a live conference call with a Bell's test center, but needs to get permission first from a supervisor.
Put on hold for a good 30-40 minutes, at which point they come back saying they cannot get through to a supervisor, so they'll make the call without permission. Argh. Wait yet again while they get someone from Bell. That tech says he does not understand why nothing was done, but all he can do is set up a dispatch for tomorrow late evening--between 5pm and 9pm. Great, now I have to wait at home and hope someone shows up. I keep requesting just have someone at the CO check my line card...nope, nothing doing.

-Wednesday. Bell tech calls me to ask what the issue is, I explain my DSL service has been cut, and I've ruled out all physical disturbers, tested with other modems, etc, can he please just check at the CO. Nope, he has no training or access to the CO, he is just coming to my apartment to check my inside signal. Great, whatever, I'm game.

Tech plugs some diagnostic equipment up to my line and runs some tests. Guess what....no signal whatsoever. Voice portion of the phone line works, but no DSL. Checks for line shorts or noise on line, nothing....everything fine. Gee, imagine that.

Calls his guy at the test center on his cell, has to wait 20 minutes on hold. They too confirm everything is fine, just there is no signal, has to transfer him to a different department. Still on his cell phone, and I kid you not, has to wait 1 hour and 10 minutes on HOLD (this is calling internal departments at Bell!). Had to make a lot of small talk with the guy. So after all this, drum roll.....they discover for some "unknown" reason, Bell pulled out my line card in error! GEE, just like I surmised back on Monday! What a surprise.

I'm like so you can instruct them at the CO to reconnect me? Nope, they have to place an install order, and that can take up to 48 hours! Seriously?!

So we're coming up on 4 days now, and I still have no sync. Understand this is NOT EQUIPMENT FAILURE, NOR IS IT A MISTAKEN ORDER OR SERVICE CHANGE. Bell has just decided to pull my bloody line card out, no reason or explanation and TSI is sitting by like its hands are tied.

Will this be fixed tomorrow, or even by the end of this week? Doubtful, I expect this is going to drag on for an indefinitely time period.

Meantime I'm getting rather annoyed at TSI. They play helpless and seem to have lost interest in getting this resolved for me. I have to keep calling and each time, wait on hold a good hour or more (on hold as I type this, so far 47 minutes now!).

Honestly, this is something that should have taken ONE SINGLE CALL TO TEKSAVVY and they, and THEY ALONE, should be taking care of getting my service restored. Not put me through all this crap. I certainly have washed my hands of Bell, but lately, I'm beginning to lose my faith in Teksavvy. My situation is being handled almost as badly as with Bell (yes, I realize they have to coordinate with Bell, but I should not be the one chasing after them!).

Well...let's see what happens tomorrow. You know, after hiking my DSL price close to $10/month and now this, I don't know if I want to stay with Teksavvy any longer. Or sadly, recommend them to friends or family.

DrZEUS

join:2004-01-13
Mississauga, ON

I sympathize with your troubles....sadly this is a very common occurrence. Happened to me about a year ago...I was lucky to have my card "plugged back in" within a day.

Unfortunately, Teksavvy has to follow protocol with Bell when opening tickets with them and as much as you hate to hear it, their hands are really tied. This is another case of Bell dropping the ball and has no problem doing so because there are no repercussions mandated by the CRTC.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to IIgs

Déjà vu!

highwire2007

join:2008-05-17
Nepean, ON
reply to IIgs

Bell has pulled my line card twice in the past year. I said this before, not only are they incompetent, they're malicious.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26
reply to IIgs

That's a really shitty story IIgs, really Sorry for your troubles. I've passed this thread on internally, we'll do everything we can to get this back online ASAP.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
reply to highwire2007

I am with bhell and I've had mine pulled 3x in the last month

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC

1 edit
reply to IIgs

All I can say is at this point, in my mind, Bell has gone from a unethical company with horrible business practices, to nothing less than an evil entity. I'm speechless.

So, what are the chances I'll be plugged back in with the same profile and line stats? I've had 10+ years of rock-solid stability and top speeds. I'm worried they'll try and bump me out to a remote DSLAM 5 miles out and I'll have intermittent sync and poor speeds, assuming my service is ever restored.

...And I know TSI hands are tied, and not initally their fault, but they COULD be a bit more helpful in at least following up and possibly even escalating things. Even a simple call back might be nice. I've worked on the other side of the fence, and even when I could not do anything for a customer at that moment, a call back was absolutely paramount in providing proper customer service. It's reassuring.

Marc: Thanks for taking note and helping out. I appreciate it, at least someone at TSI cares!

SHARPSHARK

join:2002-05-10
reply to IIgs

Wow! Now, I'm afraid. What a terrifying story! D:

Can you imagine how many hours this single pulled card made people waste on such stupid error? It probably generated even more errors, creating a cascading resonance of errors.

How Bell techs keep making the same mistakes? Is it because it WAS NOT AN ERROR?

Let's say we have a Bell tech who needs to plug DSL for a new customer. He finds out that he forgot to bring a DSLAM card with him and his shift is about to end or the one he has is defective. He absolutely needs to plug this new customer for some reason. So he simply decides to unplug some random DSLAM from another customer to plug this new customer.

Would this scenario be plausible?
--
SHARPSHARK

TSI Danielle
Premium
join:2012-05-31
kudos:11
reply to IIgs

Hi IIgs,

Wow, it sounds like you've had quite the week with us. I'm sorry that things have gone so long without being resolved. Myself and one of our escalation people are working on it as we speak to get Bell moving more quickly on this. I'll be in contact with you to let you know exactly what's going on.

Danielle
--
TSI Danielle
Social Media Relations
Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to SHARPSHARK

said by SHARPSHARK:

Let's say we have a Bell tech who needs to plug DSL for a new customer. He finds out that he forgot to bring a DSLAM card with him and his shift is about to end or the one he has is defective. He absolutely needs to plug this new customer for some reason. So he simply decides to unplug some random DSLAM from another customer to plug this new customer.

Would this scenario be plausible?

Not likely. The cards are pre-equipped in the DSLAM, and it isn't one card per customer. Some cards support up to 48 customers, depending on the vintage of the DSLAM. The ports are pre-assigned when the order is issued, so there isn't any equipment for the Bell tech to "forget to bring".

More likely scenario is that either his port got stolen during a repair - either because assignment screwed up, or the USOC for DSL got dropped from his profile so the port was re-assigned to another customer. A multitude of reasons. Even though we'd like to believe Bell is evil (which they probably are, but that's another discussion), in this case it's likely ineptitude. Either way, this is unacceptable.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net
Expand your moderator at work

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC

1 edit
reply to IIgs

Re: Bell/TSI "accidentally" disconnected my DSL!

SIGH....as of late Friday night, I am STILL NOT CONNECTED.

We're going on to day #6 of no Internet service due to Bell arbitrarily pulling out my line card. This whole situation is totally inexcusable.

How difficult is it to re-insert a line card? This is akin to spending a week asking someone sitting across the room to flip on a light switch. How long will this go on?! I am going through hell and feel both helpless and furious right now!

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by IIgs:

We're going on to day #6 of no Internet service due to Bell arbitrarily pulling out my line card. This whole situation is totally inexcusable.

How difficult is it to re-insert a line card? This is akin to spending a week asking someone sitting across the room to flip on a light switch. How long will this go on?! I am going through hell and feel both helpless and furious right now!

Pulling out your line card ? Are you saying you have no more dial tone?

Go Away

@videotron.ca
reply to IIgs

said by IIgs:

F'n ridiculous ay.

Now imagine if this was your phone & internet.

Now imagine if this went on for a couple of months.

Now you know how thousands of beloved Bell customers feel.

That company needs to go.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

Is this happening more lately or are we just more aware because of a few recent discussions here?

ftp1020

join:2007-01-30
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Mike2009:

Is this happening more lately or are we just more aware because of a few recent discussions here?

I dunno ... it was an issue exactly like this one (and particularly Execulink's response to it) that brought me to Teksavvy 3 or 4 years ago.

frank2029

join:2004-01-31
Etobicoke, ON
reply to IIgs

This happened to me a while back where a bell tech literally switched my phone number with someone else. I had all their features and such with my line including voicemails. I didnt have internet for a couple days. I was pretty pissed.

Also, I went through alot of headaches with bell and teksavvy when i moved into my new home... It took 3 fucking weeks to get service. THREEEEEEEEEE WEEEEEEEEEEEKS!

Its obvious what bell is doing here. They are making it hard for teksavvy customers to be happy. Its purposely done so we can go back to bell. I would probably consider bell again if it wasn't for 2 reasons.

1.) $20 cheaper/mo
2.) 225GB more bandwidth per month

At least with Bell i had no headaches with them back in the day. Ever since i had teksavvy its been great but when a problem arises it takes days to get it resolved.

Worth the headache? Maybe for now but maybe not for much longer....

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to IIgs

said by IIgs:

Geez. Man, really sorry to hear. This is just plain BS.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

frank2029

join:2004-01-31
Etobicoke, ON

said by TSI Marc:

said by IIgs:

Geez. Man, really sorry to hear. This is just plain BS.

Do you really care marc?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Yeah. I really do. This is the third time I follow up on it internally.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to frank2029

Just looking at the age of your profile, you should know that too. Surely you've seen me fight like a SOAB through the years... I've posted blow by blow on these very forums.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to IIgs

Current speed after 1 week of no service
Update: late this morning I find I am reconnected, BUT, and I do mean but... it appears I am now on a remote DSLAM with a 1 Mbit sync rate. Seriously, I have been dropped from 6 Mbit down to 1 Mbit! Out of service for an entire week, and put back like this?!

Essentially this is glorified dial-up! THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE, I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS!

Whomever at Teksavvy is following this, I demand you escalate this with Bell and have me put back to where I was ASAP! I have run out of patience with this situation, and wasted countless hours with Teksavvy trying to coordinate a resolve to this whole mess, over the course of a week!

This is nothing less than a nightmare scenario and I feel abandoned by Teksavvy. If this is not rectified by early next week, I will consider sharing my story with local media (newspaper, TV news).

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Hey IIgs, I just sent you a PM.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
reply to IIgs

Watch it over the next 48 hours. Remember that when a DSL activation occurs the DSLAM will start a line test and find the right profile to set. Bell could of course do that manually but you must know Bell by now, they always do it the lazy way and in no particular priority.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Usually a new port will be at 3008/800 default... strange why he's on 1mbit...

Motofreak
Premium
join:2009-08-03
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to IIgs

TSI & Bell did the exact same thing to me, but I was only a new customer and I cancelled with TSI just after two weeks.

Between the long waits times to even reach a support person over the phone, to having been disconnected on a Friday night and TSI and Bell playing the blame other game. We tried to make a E911 call Saturday morning at 4am only to find the DSL was disconnected and we have to find a cell phone. Myself and my family switched back to Rogers, at least up time is important to Rogers.

The fact is both TSI and Bell does not take their DSL service very seriously! because if they did,no one would have down time and they would at least try to keep customers happy. But I keep reading story's like this one over and over......

Sorry but the errors and complaints never change just the customers involved do.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to HiVolt

But we don't know how it was re-provisioned. Could be the tech went in the command line and I assume the normal procedure is some Bell portal that probably sets a default.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to Motofreak

said by Motofreak:

The fact is both TSI and Bell does not take their DSL service very seriously!

I get what you're saying but none of the major providers place priority on DSL accounts especially wholesale. That's where the problem starts and then TSI is left to low level Bell support who then hands off cases to another department who does the repairs and installs. The entire system is setup as best effort, and small delays on TSI sides are only a small part of that.

Of course, the fact that it was disconnected at the first place just makes you scratch your head. Such disorganization and incompetence all over Bell.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Motofreak

said by Motofreak:

TSI & Bell did the exact same thing to me, but I was only a new customer and I cancelled with TSI just after two weeks.

Between the long waits times to even reach a support person over the phone, to having been disconnected on a Friday night and TSI and Bell playing the blame other game. We tried to make a E911 call Saturday morning at 4am only to find the DSL was disconnected and we have to find a cell phone. Myself and my family switched back to Rogers, at least up time is important to Rogers.

The fact is both TSI and Bell does not take their DSL service very seriously! because if they did,no one would have down time and they would at least try to keep customers happy. But I keep reading story's like this one over and over......

Sorry but the errors and complaints never change just the customers involved do.

Oh, please. All this does is play right into their own hand and in the mean time anything short of superhuman on our part makes us look guilty.

...it shouldn't be lost on you guys that these problems makes it so we need even more techs to spend hours and hours and hours tracking these things down. 5 years ago this was completely unheard of, it just didn't happen and when it did we called them up and worked with them and it would get solved. It is much more difficult today then it has ever been and if you guys want more competition then this is exactly the stuff we need to fight through. It's all BS but look who wins in the end. This is the very same type of thing we were faced with on the DHCP front late last year. I had their lawyers all over me and I didn't back down and now things are better. With this though, it's not very often and technically they are within their right to do it since its an 'up to' service. I hate to say that, it's insult to injury but that's what I'm faced with... Anyway, I'm on it. I'll be moving it up the chain to see what can be done but this is not the first time we've tried to deal with this. It's very frustrating for me too and it's the type of thing where they weasel through on technical details even though it's totally a foul.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

It's also not isolated to TSI customers as I have heard it happen several times to Acanac and Primus customers. The grass on the other side (other wholesale ISPs) isn't always green as some people seem to think.