uniqs
share rss forum feed

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to frank2029

Re: Bell/TSI "accidentally" disconnected my DSL!

Just looking at the age of your profile, you should know that too. Surely you've seen me fight like a SOAB through the years... I've posted blow by blow on these very forums.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

IIgs
Premium
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:1
reply to IIgs

Current speed after 1 week of no service
Update: late this morning I find I am reconnected, BUT, and I do mean but... it appears I am now on a remote DSLAM with a 1 Mbit sync rate. Seriously, I have been dropped from 6 Mbit down to 1 Mbit! Out of service for an entire week, and put back like this?!

Essentially this is glorified dial-up! THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE, I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS!

Whomever at Teksavvy is following this, I demand you escalate this with Bell and have me put back to where I was ASAP! I have run out of patience with this situation, and wasted countless hours with Teksavvy trying to coordinate a resolve to this whole mess, over the course of a week!

This is nothing less than a nightmare scenario and I feel abandoned by Teksavvy. If this is not rectified by early next week, I will consider sharing my story with local media (newspaper, TV news).

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Hey IIgs, I just sent you a PM.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to IIgs

Watch it over the next 48 hours. Remember that when a DSL activation occurs the DSLAM will start a line test and find the right profile to set. Bell could of course do that manually but you must know Bell by now, they always do it the lazy way and in no particular priority.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Usually a new port will be at 3008/800 default... strange why he's on 1mbit...

Motofreak
Premium
join:2009-08-03
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Start Communicat..
reply to IIgs

TSI & Bell did the exact same thing to me, but I was only a new customer and I cancelled with TSI just after two weeks.

Between the long waits times to even reach a support person over the phone, to having been disconnected on a Friday night and TSI and Bell playing the blame other game. We tried to make a E911 call Saturday morning at 4am only to find the DSL was disconnected and we have to find a cell phone. Myself and my family switched back to Rogers, at least up time is important to Rogers.

The fact is both TSI and Bell does not take their DSL service very seriously! because if they did,no one would have down time and they would at least try to keep customers happy. But I keep reading story's like this one over and over......

Sorry but the errors and complaints never change just the customers involved do.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to HiVolt

But we don't know how it was re-provisioned. Could be the tech went in the command line and I assume the normal procedure is some Bell portal that probably sets a default.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to Motofreak

said by Motofreak:

The fact is both TSI and Bell does not take their DSL service very seriously!

I get what you're saying but none of the major providers place priority on DSL accounts especially wholesale. That's where the problem starts and then TSI is left to low level Bell support who then hands off cases to another department who does the repairs and installs. The entire system is setup as best effort, and small delays on TSI sides are only a small part of that.

Of course, the fact that it was disconnected at the first place just makes you scratch your head. Such disorganization and incompetence all over Bell.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Motofreak

said by Motofreak:

TSI & Bell did the exact same thing to me, but I was only a new customer and I cancelled with TSI just after two weeks.

Between the long waits times to even reach a support person over the phone, to having been disconnected on a Friday night and TSI and Bell playing the blame other game. We tried to make a E911 call Saturday morning at 4am only to find the DSL was disconnected and we have to find a cell phone. Myself and my family switched back to Rogers, at least up time is important to Rogers.

The fact is both TSI and Bell does not take their DSL service very seriously! because if they did,no one would have down time and they would at least try to keep customers happy. But I keep reading story's like this one over and over......

Sorry but the errors and complaints never change just the customers involved do.

Oh, please. All this does is play right into their own hand and in the mean time anything short of superhuman on our part makes us look guilty.

...it shouldn't be lost on you guys that these problems makes it so we need even more techs to spend hours and hours and hours tracking these things down. 5 years ago this was completely unheard of, it just didn't happen and when it did we called them up and worked with them and it would get solved. It is much more difficult today then it has ever been and if you guys want more competition then this is exactly the stuff we need to fight through. It's all BS but look who wins in the end. This is the very same type of thing we were faced with on the DHCP front late last year. I had their lawyers all over me and I didn't back down and now things are better. With this though, it's not very often and technically they are within their right to do it since its an 'up to' service. I hate to say that, it's insult to injury but that's what I'm faced with... Anyway, I'm on it. I'll be moving it up the chain to see what can be done but this is not the first time we've tried to deal with this. It's very frustrating for me too and it's the type of thing where they weasel through on technical details even though it's totally a foul.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

It's also not isolated to TSI customers as I have heard it happen several times to Acanac and Primus customers. The grass on the other side (other wholesale ISPs) isn't always green as some people seem to think.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to IIgs

....as in "OY !"

So calling you 'Not a happy camper' would be mild, then ?

Just curious about one thing :

How quickly could TSI get a Videotron cable feed active (even as a temp fix), and is the service available wherever in Montreal that the OP lives ?

And would price be comparable ?

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

...for what it's worth, I PM'd IIgs and offered to do exactly that and help cover some of those costs. Try to leave the other line alone to buy us more time to deal with it so at least it's not disruptive to his life...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

We are still looking into it with bell in the meantime.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc

Who knows, he might like it, and keep the cable service.

And BH#$ELL being who they are, it's a shame that more folks do not make a similar decision.

For TSI and other Indies to have their subscribers spread among 3 cablecos in Bell territory (including Cogeco) could become a sizable blow to Bell, and what's more, could attract some more Bell retail customers into the bargain.

Bell could lose much more than the Indie DSL subscribers, and the IISPs as a group will have diversified their choices of upstream providers while reducing their dependence upon Bell.

And it would look good on Bell, IMNSHO. - EDIT : [Dave breaks into evil laughter]

LondonOntGuy

join:2004-05-12
London, ON
reply to IIgs

Sounds like Bell is taking a cue from the Robbers playbook. - Fuck over the customers of the third party ISP's so they just say "screw it, I'm going with the incumbent".

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by LondonOntGuy:

Sounds like Bell is taking a cue from the Robbers playbook. - Fuck over the customers of the third party ISP's so they just say "screw it, I'm going with the incumbent".

if i'm being realistic, i find the biggest issue is half of the "contractors" they hire don't give two shits about what they do. Several good ones but not the same care.

Edit: i should note i'm not talking about TSI. I'm talking about Bell/Rogers and whoever else

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to IIgs

I'm told by my crew that it appears that the line is back to normal. IIgs, can you confirm?
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

tonytoronto

join:2007-10-31
Toronto, ON
reply to IIgs

Its because stories like yours and what i've been thru, that i will no longer recommend any isp's to anyone, period.
Last year, main phone line at work went silent, some bhell monkey disconnected our line at the "brown box", less than a hour after we called the line was fixed. When isp's are involved, takes at least 4 days just to get anything started, nevermind fixed.

jibby

join:2008-03-31
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Is wholesale cable or DSL even a 'best effort' service @ Bell or Rogers?

With simple things taking weeks because of arbitrarily closed tickets or what seems like deliberate incompetence, the 'best effort' at Bell/Rogers is pretty bad hehe

Rogers takes forever to fix things - but you want to sign up for a new service? watch them show up 6 hours later. funny how that works.

I feel bad for Marc - i know he cares, and does his best.

but whether its deliberate or not, lately it seems like the wholesale departments at Rogers/Bell are basically staffed by monkeys... and it takes them weeks of mashing random keys to fix anything

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

In telco terms, best effort means whenever they feel like it.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to jibby

It's all fairly recent in the past year or so. I do think too though that in some cases its simply an incompetent field tech. From what I understand BTS has hired something like 1000 new workers in the last year or two. We will be addressing these issues soon though, these are things that ebb and flow spanning years... Years ago, it was great, then it was terrible, then it was great... We have to work through it.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

llort

@rogers.com
reply to IIgs

Do you think Bell has technicians just waiting on your every beck and call to fix your troubles as soon as you call in? Bell serves thousands upon thousands of customers and repair tickets must follow a process in order to get resolved.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by llort :

Do you think Bell has technicians just waiting on your every beck and call to fix your troubles as soon as you call in? Bell serves thousands upon thousands of customers and repair tickets must follow a process in order to get resolved.

Yeah. I do. We used to be able to call in and sometimes same day it would get fixed. To be offline for an entire week? Come on. TekSavvy has thousands upon thousands of customers too, it's a matter of staffing appropriately and having the will to make right where mistakes have been made... There will always be mistakes but it's how you deal with them.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

LondonOntGuy

join:2004-05-12
London, ON
reply to Tx

said by Tx:

if i'm being realistic, i find the biggest issue is half of the "contractors" they hire don't give two shits about what they do. Several good ones but not the same care.

I remember the two jokers they sent when I moved into my soon to be former apt. I hadn't moved everything in yet and they were snickering that I didn't have much of anything, and I was only testing the connection with one of my netbooks.

They said they were 'summer students'.

Sending some high school pissants to do a job that requires a technician, typical Bell. Just like them outsourcing to India for their phone support.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by LondonOntGuy:

said by Tx:

I remember the two jokers they sent when I moved into my soon to be former apt. I hadn't moved everything in yet and they were snickering that I didn't have much of anything, and I was only testing the connection with one of my netbooks.

They said they were 'summer students'.

Sending some high school pissants to do a job that requires a technician, typical Bell. Just like them outsourcing to India for their phone support.

my point exactly. I was talking to a Rogers tech directly employed when they installed my home monitoring and he understands himself why they act like idiots because they literally get paid half of what he does and only per hour on a work order until completed, so they like to dick around.

Rogers tech was a good guy surprisingly and agreed the contractors should all be fired as they (the directly employed techs) always have to fix their mistakes.

Don't get me wrong there are several great guys working as sub-contractors but they are the minority.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by llort :

Yeah. I do. We used to be able to call in and sometimes same day it would get fixed. To be offline for an entire week? Come on. TekSavvy has thousands upon thousands of customers too, it's a matter of staffing appropriately and having the will to make right where mistakes have been made... There will always be mistakes but it's how you deal with them.

+1 for standing up for your customer...effin love it even if that wasn't your point :P
Expand your moderator at work

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Tx

Re: Bell/TSI "accidentally" disconnected my DSL!

tx.. I was standing up for him and all of you/us. Its sad these days that a week offline needs to be defended against at all. ...defending against the absurd.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

1 recommendation

I totally agree with you Marc. In this day and age a week to get your connection back is crazy. Funny that they can come same day for a phone issue but not DSL. Time to make internet access an essential service.

llort

@rogers.com
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by llort :

It's too easy for your customers to be offline for an entire week. On those repair tickets when the trouble condition proves past the dmarc and Bell walks away, just how long will the sub have to wait for another tech to come fix the inside?