Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to IIgs

Premium Member

to IIgs

Re: Bell/TSI "accidentally" disconnected my DSL!

said by IIgs:

....Yep, week #2 of hell, only now it's TWO services out. I'm at a loss. What the hell is going on? Will this ever end?

You forgot the

For a moment, I thought that they had your line configured as a Dry Loop, except that in THAT case, 911 and a few Bell test numbers should have worked, as well as your DSL.

Seriously, have you considered going Cable ?

ANYTHING ought to be better than what has happened to you so far - AND the time waste.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Well, based on what IIGS stated His line is Co fed Which is why the Initial Tech Was Unable to get the Internet Sync working on the spot, Only Some techs are C/o trained and permitted In those Buildings, he had a ticket put in to get someone to connect the Internet who has that training, But Even for a bell customer that Almost never happens until the next day. C/o Tickets are done in the early Am usually.

The reason the First appointment was No Accessed was because A field tech was Dispatched, In order for us to test a line or a sync.. They kinda need access to your premises. Its great you Know its not you but In this Unfortunately Your the exception, very few people do any form of trouble shooting going so far as In some cases techs walk into a house for a bell internet customer and Plug the Modem into the wall or remove The Inline filter from the modem and walk out..

The fact the whole Thing is Now Out and Making a fast Busy Suggests A bad Line, Also even when your Stats were " good" the upload was extremely low which is not so good. could be indicative of line trouble. i truly Hope it gets fixed asap for you. Luckily Phone is an essential service, and bell does its damnedest to respond to those tickets Within 24 hours or they can be fined.

IIgs
Premium Member
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC

IIgs

Premium Member

Just before midnight and still NO Internet or telephone.

Opened a ticket with Bell's repair department, told me a dispatch will be done between 12 and 5 pm tomorrow. Spent a good amount of time and energy fighting requesting this be escalated, as Bell kept insisting its likely a problem on my end and other nonsense proclaiming their innocence.

Finally got a manager at Bell repair named Sagi to call me back, promising someone at the CO was working on my problem and service would be restored before 9 pm. Of course it wasn't, and went through hell repeatedly trying to reach him back make sure this is resolved immediately (none of the agents would acknowledge he even exists, or willing to transfer me through!). In the end I'm told nothing can be done until mid-day tomorrow.

At this point I'm temporarily borrowing a cell phone and a (slow, crippled and intermittent) wireless signal from my neighbor. Fun stuff.

I would gladly switch to cable and VoIP at this point, but cost is prohibitive compared to DSL and I need a static IP to retain my TSI Usenet access. Well...Tomorrow marks DAY #10 of this nightmare.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by IIgs:

....I would gladly switch to cable and VoIP at this point, but cost is prohibitive compared to DSL and I need a static IP to retain my TSI Usenet access. Well...Tomorrow marks DAY #10 of this nightmare.

....and ANOTHER weekend approacheth.

At this point, I don't think that even Marc would blame you if you had to move some of your services elsewhere.

If I understand correctly from your OP, this was all from left field and you did not even have a work order pending.

= = = = = =

Subtract 1 Bell landline with calling features
Subtract 1 TSI DSL with Static IP-Usenet bundle

Add 1 TSI Cable of similar speed or higher, with similar cap
Add 1 CallCentric or VOIP.MS VoIP account (VMS has lower outbound Canadian rates on their least priced routing, and CC has other advantages, including NO TAXES for us Canucks)

Add 1 ATA or IP phone - 1-time cost for hardware

Overlap phone services for a month or two to be sure VoIP works to your satisfaction and while porting your number over, then call Bell after the port is completed to be sure your account is cancelled.

Add an alternate (paid if necessary) Usenet feed to avoid static IP requirement.

The numbers crunching in MY head seem pretty even.

IIgs
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

IIgs

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

If I understand correctly from your OP, this was all from left field and you did not even have a work order pending.

Exactly! This entire incident started completely out of the blue. NO orders. NO upgrades. NO added services. NO equipment failures or faults. NO unpaid bills. I was arbitrarily pulled out of service.

As of 12:30 pm this afternoon my POTS phone service has been restored (won't even get into the nightmare I had with Bell trying to resolve this) but my Internet is still out.

Further testing, plugging a phone in without a filter results in silence, no hiss or static. So, once again my DSL line card has been pulled from the DSLAM. Of course Bell refuses to assist any further, I have to get Teksavvy to intervene.

Let's see what happens next...
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Sounds like someone stole your oe and your on a new one now again your not on a combo card or u would lack dialtone as well as sync

IIgs
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

IIgs

Premium Member

May as well continue on with my story as it unfolds...

The guys at TSI pulled some strings (thankful for that!) and got a tech dispatch going this afternoon. Unfortunately rather than go out to the CO where the problem lies, the Bell tech decided he HAD to come up to my apartment to run tests. Great, why not, let's waste more time.

This tech could not speak a word of English, and was a bit disruptive with his testing. Began pulling on my phone cord (to see where it ends) with enough force to physically drag my modem out from under the desk! Then he attempted to remove the wall plates for my phone jack to play around with the inside wiring. I stopped him before he caused even more problems!

The tech kept insisting the problem must be on my end and not quite understanding the issue is a pulled line card at the CO. Not sure if it was a language barrier or typical clueless Bell tech issue, but I was getting annoyed either way. At least he put a call in to the CO to have my line card reinstalled. Whether that gets done tonight remains to be seen. Also hope he didn't damage my modem!

Even if this is finally resolved, what assurances do I have that it won't start up all over again in a few days?
X10A
join:2004-07-13
Brossard, QC

X10A to IIgs

to IIgs
sadly, I had similiar problem.

one month ago I notice my alarm went crazy, upon investigation all my dial tone and internet(bell phone and TSI dry loop) are off.

Call teksavvy(1 hour hold) they told me to call bell, Call bell and they sent a tech within 4 hours. The tech that came was unable to speak a word of English proceed to play around, he mentioned the squirrel has chewed the line(short) outside the house, he came back 30 mins and notice my first floor phone line no longer work, after spending an hour he can only get my basement POTS line work, while I inquire him about my TSI dry loop(which is at the same socket) and first floor he told me that is not in his work order, he also ask if I have wirecare if not then it is not his business. When he left I ask him to write down the problem is from outside so I can see weather I can ask for another truck roll from TSI to fix the remaining problem.

Long story short I contact TSI and seems like everyone is pointing me to it is now a in house problem and you will pay 90+ dollar to fix it, despite the problem started outside creating a short in the house . The demarc is the super old one without the plug so I was unable to test it at demarc either.

In the end I call TSI to cancel the line since there will be no other outcome, it is a very disappointing experience for me(as I have mock my friend in other indi isp that had bad experience and speed, and later switched to TSI, and compare to my review years ago this is night and day.) and fear it will happen to the few friend that I refer to TSI as most of them live in the same area.

IIgs
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

IIgs

Premium Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

For the bloody SECOND TIME, Bell has disconnected my POTS telephone line. I got home this evening to find I have NO dial-tone now. Yes sir, dead phone line, just hours after I had the telephone issue resolved. Holy crap, this is unreal!!

Of course my Teksavvy DSL Internet connection is STILL OUT, as we move onto DAY #13.

Wow. 3 days without voice phone, an essential service. Is Bell automatically fined, or do I need to contact the CRTC myself? Forget that, should I be going to newspapers and local news about this whole nightmare?

I am getting seriously stressed to put it lightly. This has become a joke.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

Bell won't be fined and the CRTC won't do anything.

All you can do is keep focused on trying to get them to restore the service. We all want to scream at someone in a situation like yours, but the reaction of the person on the other end is usually just to screw us further.

Here's hoping you can get Bell to reconnect you...sounds like if you can get the phone problems solved, TSI will get your DSL issue sorted out.
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Actually Mongoose bell automagically gets fined when they miss a 24 hour commit on a voice repair last i checked.
neilio
join:2000-08-17
Toronto

neilio to IIgs

to IIgs
Went through the exact same problem around 4 years ago, but I wasn't with Teksavvy at the time, I was with Bell. It took almost a month to get things working again, but by that time I had already said enough was enough and was in the process of switching all of my services away from Bell.

Here's the kicker: I cancelled service, got multiple confirmations from multiple CSRs that the service was scheduled to be cancelled, and thought that was that.

Six months later, we moved to a new apartment. Six months after THAT, I get a phone call from some collection agency collecting for, you guessed it, Bell. After all of the crap we went through someone forgot to actually turn off service & billing when we moved, and Bell wanted payment for 12 months of service.... that we never actually used.

Anyway, the short of it is we took them to small claims court. No one from Bell showed up (of course) so we got some of what we wanted — Bell still owes us money from that decision, but I've given up ever collecting.

Needless to say, we have never directly given Bell our business since, and never plan to. Easily one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with of any size.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to IIgs

Premium Member

to IIgs
Wow, this is crazy...

Looks like Bell doesnt know wtf they're doing.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to IIgs

to IIgs
I didn't read all of this thread, but are you against switching your phone over to Videotron?

I have had it for over a decade without an issue.

Setup an appointment with them and call Bell to let them know, I'm pretty sure Retentions will have this escalated with more "urgency".

You would then have a dry loop fee with TS unless you switch over to a cable plan (which I would also recommend)

good luck!
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to IIgs

to IIgs
last I checked (which was some time ago) Videotron homephone is on contract only.

plus he'd have to pay dry loop...

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Wow, this is crazy...

Looks like Bell doesnt know WTF they're doing.

As if THAT is a revelation !

@ IIgs : BTW, what language DID that tech speak ? - Oot-Fray Oops-Lay ?

Mayhap he thought you were saying to cancel your phone as you were angry at Bell, and passed the word along....
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to morisato

to morisato
said by morisato:

Actually Mongoose bell automagically gets fined when they miss a 24 hour commit on a voice repair last i checked.

I have no faith that the system will do anything but reward Bell and Rogers for being the two worst companies in Canada. (Yes, I have bitterness in my heart, I know).
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to Cloneman

to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

last I checked (which was some time ago) Videotron homephone is on contract only.

plus he'd have to pay dry loop...

I mentioned the dryloop but we don't have contracts in Quebec (or rather cancellation fees for breaking contracts) anymore.

The most they could charge is the remainder that is owed on hardware but they will not sell you the telephone modem anyways.
quote:
Unbeatable Customer Service
Get 24-hour technical support 7 days a week, and enjoy customer service 7 days a week with extended business hours.

A Contract With No Commitment!
The power of being commitment-free!

Videotron is committed to your complete satisfaction. Giving you freedom of choice compels us to outdo ourselves.

30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee
We feel so strongly about the exceptional quality of our services that we're giving you a guarantee on all of our offers.

You have 30 days upon activation of your service to tell us about any dissatisfaction
I would highly advise to go with cable internet(not videotron) as well to remove any trace of Bell receiving money but there is a higher upfront cost than DSL
X10A
join:2004-07-13
Brossard, QC

X10A to IIgs

to IIgs
2nd that, compare to bell's 3rd party tech videotron's tech are much more reliable and friendly. You might hit their default speed at first day but as soon as it is fixed it is very solid, never have a problem with it.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Wow, this is crazy...

Looks like Bell STILL doesnt know wtf they're doing.

In all seriousness, TSI needs to be a hero here and come through for this customer... and post the solution here FAST so us fanbois can hit those trumpets.

So who is it going to be? Which deluxe superduper TSI rep is going to make it their personal mission in life to see this solved... pronto?

Mike

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

said by HiVolt:

Wow, this is crazy...

Looks like Bell STILL doesnt know wtf they're doing.

In all seriousness, TSI needs to be a hero here and come through for this customer... and post the solution here FAST so us fanbois can hit those trumpets.

So who is it going to be? Which deluxe superduper TSI rep is going to make it their personal mission in life to see this solved... pronto?

Mike

I was talking about this case with ppl in high places today. Tomorrow I'll follow up with them to see what they can do to help. They were pretty astonished about this one.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to IIgs

Premium Member

to IIgs
said by IIgs:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

For the bloody SECOND TIME, Bell has disconnected my POTS telephone line. I got home this evening to find I have NO dial-tone now. Yes sir, dead phone line, just hours after I had the telephone issue resolved. Holy crap, this is unreal!!

This repeated pattern is striking similar to an experience one of my customers had, documented a little here:
»Re: Incompetent technician cut off my Internet!

Any numbers on how often Pulled In Error (PIE) incidents are occurring on DSL? These incidents of repeated PIEs in quick succession are clearly not unique, maybe we need to start collecting a list of these issues to see if there is a pattern?
(by WE, I mostly mean Teksavvy :P)

IIgs
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

IIgs

Premium Member

OK. I am seriously burned out now, but here is the latest...

Had to put in ANOTHER repair ticket for my telephone yesterday, and got a standard noon to 5 pm dispatch, despite the seriousness of this situation. So, once again I'm forced to run out to a family member's house, miles away, in the late evening to use their phone!! Once on the phone with repair, demanded this be escalated, or at least I be connected with Sagi (call center manager for repair). Sorry, he's gone home for the day, you cannot speak with anyone else, but we promise he'll phone you early morning.

Wait all morning, no call back of course. Lying bastards. Ask for another manager, get someone named Arby, who is not only unsympathetic to my plight, but being very curt and rude. Add to that, he tells me he'll call me back in a "couple of minutes" hangs up, and leaves me waiting over 1.5 hours with no word. Great, typical Bell jerk.

Finally Arby calls to say a tech is being dispatched within the hour, but ONCE AGAIN THEY NEED TO VERIFY THE INSIDE WIRING IN MY APARTMENT, FOR A THIRD TIME. Sure, why not, more fun with techs romping roughly around my living room (Oh, as a side note, did I mention yesterday's tech, who couldn't speak English, almost smashed my 55" flat-screen TV via the gear swinging off his tool belt? My phone jack unfortunately is right beside the TV).

Today's tech (#3) comes in, discovers a short. Runs some loop tests in my apartment, then between my apartment and the demarc point in the basement of the building. All good there. Goes out to the CO, finds (surprise, surprise!) the short is at the CO, where I said it would be! He had to change the wiring at the CO in the end. Turns out whomever attempted, and failed at, trying to reinstall my line card, shorted out my phone line and just carelessly left it BROKEN, LEAVING ME OUT OF SERVICE ANOTHER 24 HOURS. DOES ANYONE AT BELL EVEN TEST THINGS? DOES NOT FIX THE MAIN ISSUE, AND CAUSES ANOTHER. WOW.

In the end, I did get my phone line restored early evening and it's working now. Of course MY INTERNET IS STILL OUT as they cannot get someone to do the re-install until tomorrow morning.

Let's see if I get my Internet back after two weeks (or if my phone line isn't knocked out for a third time). What next, will I'll get billed for these dispatches in error? Maybe Bell will set fire to my home? Stay tuned....

thistool
@myvzw.com

thistool to HeadSpinning

Anon

to HeadSpinning
More then likely during a trouble ticket request they could have stolen the port as you suggested. As you stated they probably looked at the distance numbers and found tech savy cust could theoretically work on another port. When they assigned tech savvy to another port they didn't assign what in the us we call a new jumper run. Most dslams even 13 Fujitsu 768k only cards support more then 1 cust. Tipping a card or slightly pulling it out so it interrupts the physical connection doesn't really happen on dsl anymore. Your just unwired. Now why. Field tech in CA can't call the local co and ask the tech to check the jumpers I find that odd. Depending on how remote the location. In the US I might even tun the jumpers myself. Sorry your having such trouble at worst this should have been a 45min fix.
ns1225
join:2010-12-30
Montreal, QC

ns1225 to IIgs

to IIgs
Could these dumb moves by Bell have anything to do with the huge Fibe TV rollout in Montreal? I've noticed a significant jump in Bell techs doing installs so many new techs hired recently and or old techs relocated to CO duty.

out liers
@videotron.ca

out liers to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

I was talking about this case with ppl in high places today. Tomorrow I'll follow up with them to see what they can do to help. They were pretty astonished about this one.

I don't see why. Not like this is the first time this has happened. This is what VP's at Bell call, "Statistical Outliers". You do recall that word right?

There is nothing astonishing here. Maybe as a pots reseller it is new to you. But not to Bell.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

I'm told by bell that there was a tech issue. Which seems to confirm what IIgs was saying. I'm told he's back online now.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER to neilio

Premium Member

to neilio
You should file a writ of execution with the court... with that you could have the RCMPs seize the equipment in Bell CEO's George Cope office.. I'm sure he is authorised to make payment arrangements.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

1 recommendation

Davesnothere to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

I'm told by bell that there was a tech issue. Which seems to confirm what IIgs was saying. I'm told he's back online now.

Tech issue my arse !

PLEASE !

Surely Marc, you don't genuinely believe whoever told you that.

Just more typical BHell backroom BS & politics, I say.

And IIgs is prob'ly afraid to post that it's OK now, in case he jinxes it and Bell does something ELSE to fuck him up yet again.
bbiab
join:2004-05-26

1 edit

bbiab

-