All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jakkwb
join:2009-04-27
Arkansas

jakkwb

Program to send text messages from PC to cel phone?

Subject line says it all. I want to be able to send and receive (if possible) text messages to customers cel phones from my PC.

Anyone use such a thing? Would be great for tech support.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

My Gmail chat client has that functionality...I'm sure there are others.
ctech99
join:2010-02-16

ctech99 to jakkwb

to jakkwb
You can use google voice to do that.

Can create a phone number with google voice, and text via the app on your phone, or on google.com/voice

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to jakkwb

to jakkwb
look at something like this user did: »forum.ubnt.com/showthrea ··· ?t=49520

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to jakkwb

MVM

to jakkwb
A lot of older phones have serial interfaces that you can use to communicate with the phone using AT commands, some of which are dedicated to SMS functions.

So its quite trivial to write a simple script or app to do this, and integrate it with your own systems.

Many phones these days also come with/have available software that can send SMS, so you dont have to go down the above route (though in reality the software is meant to allow you to back up contacts, sync music etc, but usually also contains the ability to SMS). Check the manufacturers website for a download.

The company I used to work for used an old phone hooked up to the server that did all of the monitoring for the network. Worked flawlessly. But I believe now they are using an IP based service for greater throughput.

Another company I used to work for had a dial up based service. A regular modem would be used to dial a special phone number, send some data in a specific format, and generate an SMS out the other side. The cost of the phone call covered the cost of sending the message.
linuxabuser
join:2012-03-07

linuxabuser to jakkwb

to jakkwb
It's easy, as long as you know who their carrier is.

The format for AT&T looks like this:

5101111111@txt.att.net

or, for an MMS,

5101111111@mms.att.net

Here's the full list: »www.emailtextmessages.com/
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

My provider, Rogers charges 5 cents to each recipient for every message sent through their email to SMS portal.

I tried using GMail Chat but it wouldn't work for me.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to jakkwb

to jakkwb
I wouldn't be comfortable having a sub notified of pertinent outages, especially if it's a minor few minute outage. Besides, you'll still get a call asking when it will be back up.

Have the first customer facing on your voice mail tree that says:

Level 1 - "Some customers in Hooterville may be experiencing difficulty connecting to the internet."

Level 2 - "Customers in the Hooterville area are experiencing difficulties and we are currently working to quickly resolve the issue.

Level 3 - "We have identified a significant problem in Hooterville." Background music from song, "When the Lightning Struck the Coon Creek Party Line".