Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to booj

Re: Organic Food.. not as safe?

said by Ian:

Quick question though, when was the last time there was a produce recall in Canada due to excessive pesticides? None that I can remember.

There was also the Ottawa incident a few years back that was in all the news about strawberries having way too much pesticides. people were ending up in area hospitals with blistering on the lips and tongues and other allergic reactions.

This was about 6 years ago (+/-).

It happens...

Did you not hear of this Ottawa incident? Was on all the news at the time. Alerts were constantly being put out all summer so people would extra wash the berries. Since it wasn't too long ago, is should be findable on google... A quick search didn't show anything. Maybe a google-ninja can find it.

But that is extreme cases. But does that make lower concentrations just peachy and ok?

Lower concentrations of fat soluble DDT (and it's metabolites) won't harm you either in the short term. Should we put it on your eggs?

CanadianRip

join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

You really don't know how the media works.

I do - and I can tell you that you're very naive as to how it works.

Want one example - dig up one major scathing article about MDG Computers exposing their unethical business practices in a major news publication where they advertised major full page spreads frequently.

Right down to influencing even local papers that distribute through Metroland/other conglomerates.

A company with a history of screwing over people for over a decade, and not one person manages to blow the whistle? I wonder why that is...

Thats right

@videotron.ca
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

That might be in community TV, not in commercial TV, I've spent enough time in it to know exactly how the system works.

That's right. Happened enough times in the states. but guess he knows all.

Also happened to Myth Busters and their RFID show 3-4 years ago that never aired. Discovery backed down and cancelled the airing of that show because the advertisers got all fired up about it

Money and advertisers pull the strings.

Quite a few examples of this that occurred.

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Lol at you guys been swindled. The corporation that PAID the TV series W5 to investigate and put down the organic small farmers was Dosanto corp the world' biggest genetically modified grain supplier that is striving to PATENT the world's food supply, they are being sued by brazilian farmers right now.

Got proof? CTV and W5 don't accept money.

I heard this about 2 days ago on 640 AM the John Oakley show, he's not going to lie or fabricate this, it's well-known that Mosanto sponsored the investigation and W5 accepted the "help". That's blatant conflict-of-interest if you ask me.

so um

@videotron.ca
I haven't heard anything about this W5 show and Mosanto. Links? Is the show online? News coverage of the scandal links?

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
I couldn't find anything on Google about the payment to W5 by Mosanto but I found this:

»www.ctvnews.ca/scc-ruling-means-···1.267426

(CTV network virtually cheering a Mosanto court victory over impoverished small farmers, what a coincidence that CTV is the only network in Toronto reporting this victory)

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by DKS:

said by elwoodblues:

Technically you are correct, however they could have bought ad time on the network and fluff disguised as a news piece is created.

Seen this many times

Sales and editorial are two separate lines with different executives. The two do not cross.

That might be in community TV, not in commercial TV, I've spent enough time in it to know exactly how the system works.

And given that there is something called journalist ethics, the suggestion that there is a crossover (Sun Media excepted) is exaggerated.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

said by DKS:

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Lol at you guys been swindled. The corporation that PAID the TV series W5 to investigate and put down the organic small farmers was Dosanto corp the world' biggest genetically modified grain supplier that is striving to PATENT the world's food supply, they are being sued by brazilian farmers right now.

Got proof? CTV and W5 don't accept money.

I heard this about 2 days ago on 640 AM the John Oakley show, he's not going to lie or fabricate this, it's well-known that Mosanto sponsored the investigation and W5 accepted the "help". That's blatant conflict-of-interest if you ask me.

Just because you heard John Oakley says it doesn't mean it is so.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

I couldn't find anything on Google about the payment to W5 by Mosanto but I found this:

»www.ctvnews.ca/scc-ruling-means-···1.267426

(CTV network virtually cheering a Mosanto court victory over impoverished small farmers, what a coincidence that CTV is the only network in Toronto reporting this victory)

If you google "monsanto organic" there is considerable media interest in the subject.
--

yoyomhz

join:2003-02-15
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to LastDon

Re: Organic Food.. same as non organic?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZtiyAPU···e=g-vrec

one more reason organic is better - it's not genetically modified

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to CanadianRip

said by CanadianRip:

A company with a history of screwing over people for over a decade, and not one person manages to blow the whistle? I wonder why that is...

Wow, it's funny you bring that up... I'm the only person outside of a group of people I'm friends with thats ever echoed that question.

I'm familiar with MDG's extremely unethical business practices, right down to criminal acts, and I've always wondered how they were never called on their shit.

CanadianRip

Oakville, ON
said by urbanriot:

Wow, it's funny you bring that up... I'm the only person outside of a group of people I'm friends with thats ever echoed that question.

I'm familiar with MDG's extremely unethical business practices, right down to criminal acts, and I've always wondered how they were never called on their shit.

I need to walk a fine line in what I say, but I will say this: There are a few ticked off journalists out there that tried to publish for their respective publications and where not allowed.

In fact MDG managed to get their PR machine to write up a full page editorial on Goran Varaklic the CEO as some kind of brilliant business person.

If a smaller company like that can manage their PR in that manner, then imagine what Kraft, General Mills, PepsiCo, and Nestle can do to combat a growing organic movement that directly threatens their entire business model with some spend?

You think they can squeeze out a bad report or two? Nah... we can fully trust all our for profit media companies 100%! How you can read that last sentence and not understand how idiotic it sounds is baffling.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to CanadianRip
said by CanadianRip:

Want one example - dig up one major scathing article about MDG Computers exposing their unethical business practices in a major news publication where they advertised major full page spreads frequently.

MDG is still in business? Looks like they have expanded into furniture. They have a grand total of ten stores in Canada! Their Line of Credit is an obvious rip off. So is their web site, with no prices listed. And they ask you to give up your SIN for a credit check. Obvious traps. But I haven't seen an MDG ad in print or on TV for years.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Thats right
said by Thats right :

said by elwoodblues:

That's right. Happened enough times in the states. but guess he knows all.

The US isn't Canada.

Also happened to Myth Busters and their RFID show 3-4 years ago that never aired. Discovery backed down and cancelled the airing of that show because the advertisers got all fired up about it

Money and advertisers pull the strings.

Quite a few examples of this that occurred.

You have quoted one example from the US. How about a proved Canadian example?
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Did you ever complain? Write to Goldhawk? Marketplace? Ellen Roseman (to name a few)?
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to CanadianRip
said by CanadianRip:

In fact MDG managed to get their PR machine to write up a full page editorial on Goran Varaklic the CEO as some kind of brilliant business person.

A quick search brought up all kinds of legal actions like this »www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf···/MDG.pdf against MDG. That's doesn't mean that the media are ignoring him or that they are influenced by advertisers. Just that MDG is a company I would not do business with. Caveat Emptor.
--
Expand your moderator at work

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

said by urbanriot:

Did you ever complain?

Not through social or organizational methods, but more through legal channels. They did change one practice shortly thereafter but we're not sure if that was a natural change or prompted by action.

Some of their actions though, difficult to voice a complaint. They did one shady deal where you buy a PC and you get a free printer! ...unfortunately they removed the colour ink cartridges, which the printer wouldn't function without. If you wanted the 'colour option' you'd have to pay $35 or something like that.

I'm not sure if such in-store deals represented company policy but they had a reputation amongst IT people 'round these parts and we all continually wondered how their reputation wasn't known to the general public. How are these guys still in business?

Sometimes I think CanadianRip is off his rocker... sometimes I think he might be on to something...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by urbanriot:

said by DKS:

said by urbanriot:

Did you ever complain?

Not through social or organizational methods, but more through legal channels. They did change one practice shortly thereafter but we're not sure if that was a natural change or prompted by action.

Some of their actions though, difficult to voice a complaint. They did one shady deal where you buy a PC and you get a free printer! ...unfortunately they removed the colour ink cartridges, which the printer wouldn't function without. If you wanted the 'colour option' you'd have to pay $35 or something like that.

I'm not sure if such in-store deals represented company policy but they had a reputation amongst IT people 'round these parts and we all continually wondered how their reputation wasn't known to the general public. How are these guys still in business?

Sometimes I think CanadianRip is off his rocker... sometimes I think he might be on to something...

The practice of removing the printer cartridge is an extension of the printer manufacturer's practice of putting partial cartridges in new printers so that you print a few pages and then have to buy a new one... which you don't discover until too late.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by DKS:

The practice of removing the printer cartridge is an extension of the printer manufacturer's practice of putting partial cartridges in new printers so that you print a few pages and then have to buy a new one... which you don't discover until too late.

Uhm no.

»www.moneyville.ca/article/124307···k-of-ink
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
Not directed at you elwood.

While this is off topic to the thread at hand, just stop buying inkjet printers, spend the extra $50-70, and buy a decent colour laserjet and never look back. I'm still on the "starter toner" kit from over a year ago which was only supposed to last for 2500 sheets of black and around the same for colour. I've printed nearly 6000 sheets of black, and have 30% of the toner left and 40% of the colour. There's plenty of good models out there.

Hell, I know a few people who are still on the starter kits from 3-4 years ago on their colour laser printers.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

A partial ink cartridge can give a casual user half a year of printing, while removing the cartridge renders the device inoperable. I wouldn't call that an extension, as they advertised a free item that people expected to function until they plugged it all in and discovered they need to spend money to restore its operation.

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver
reply to yoyomhz

said by yoyomhz:

[att=1]

Quick question for you. How hard is it to wash off pesticides? I bought some 50% strawberies yesterday to eat for lunch. I tossed them in a strainer, and washed them with tap water and lightly scrubbed them with my hands before cutting them up and eating them. Is that good enough?

PS, I'm gonna check out that book on the dangers of pesticides, seems like it will be an interesting read.
--
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it."-Malcolm X

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

said by DKS:

A partial ink cartridge can give a casual user half a year of printing, while removing the cartridge renders the device inoperable. I wouldn't call that an extension, as they advertised a free item that people expected to function until they plugged it all in and discovered they need to spend money to restore its operation.

If you can get 6 months of use out of those partial cartridges, you must not print much...
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by DKS:

Uhm no.

»www.moneyville.ca/article/124307···k-of-ink

Yes, I read that article recently. Both are rip-off practices.
--

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

1 edit
reply to DKS
Click for full size
said by DKS:

And given that there is something called journalist ethics, the suggestion that there is a crossover (Sun Media excepted) is exaggerated.

These "journalistic" idiots were too stupid to PhotoShop their pictures correctly. That report borderlines on outright lying and propaganda.
»www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article···5u00nD4M

I don't believe any media outlets unless their claims can be substantiated by reliable sources. It's usually pretty hard to do given the amount of plagiarism and lazy reporting going on these days.

Whoever was involved editing then posting those pictures should be fired on the spot IMO.
--
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it."-Malcolm X

CanadianRip

Oakville, ON
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

A quick search brought up all kinds of legal actions like this »www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf···/MDG.pdf against MDG. That's doesn't mean that the media are ignoring him or that they are influenced by advertisers. Just that MDG is a company I would not do business with. Caveat Emptor.

According to you? Sorry, I have first hand information from someone who actually been responsible for managing their Public Relations. They are currently under my employment.
MDG did threaten to pull advertising in retaliation to harmful articles.

I really don't give a crap about exposing this either, because they're a nobody company with insufficient resources to try to drag anyone into libel action.

CanadianRip

Oakville, ON

1 recommendation

reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

You'll be a far happier person if you continue to believe I am in fact off my rocker.

yoyomhz

Beverly Hills, CA
reply to Warez_Zealot

said by Warez_Zealot:

.... and washed them with tap water and lightly scrubbed them with my hands before cutting them up and eating them. Is that good enough?

A friend of mine was told, by someone who works for the government testing for pesticides - If You Don't Wash Your Produce EVERY TIME - YOU ARE DUMB.

Fungicides historically used for strawberry disease control in Florida include azoxystrobin, boscalid, captan, fenhexamid, myclobutanil, potassium bicarbonate, pyraclostrobin, thiophanate, and thiram . Other fungicides actively registered in Florida in 2010 include Bacillus pumilus, Bacillus subtilis, carbonic acid, copper (in hydroxide, sulfate, oxychloride, and octanoate forms), cyprodinil, dodine, fludioxonil, fosetyl-Al, Gliocladium virens, hydrogen dioxide, iprodione, mefenoxam, phosphoric acid, polyoxin D, propiconazole, Pseudomonas fluorescens, pyrimethanil, quinoxyfen, Reynoutria sachalinensis extract, Streptomyces lydicus, sulfur, Trichoderma harzianum, trifloxystrobin, and triflumizole (11

All those different fungicides for Florida strawberries. No wonder strawberries are #3 on the dirty dozen list. Some of the fungicides are systemic, which means it goes inside the fruit and can't be washed off.

yoyomhz

Beverly Hills, CA
reply to LastDon
Reason # 37 Why Pesticides Bad

Sick, stupid and sterile
by Miranda Holmes » Sep 6th, 2012, 12:46 pm

In September 1962 – 50 years ago this month – a book was published which changed the way we looked at the post-World War Two chemical revolution. Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring – a clarion call about the perils of pesticides – is largely credited with launching the modern day environmental movement.

Soon after its publication, the indiscriminate spraying of DDT on farm fields and suburbs in the US ended, followed in 1972 by an outright ban on its manufacture and use. Forty years later, DDT’s metabolite DDE can be found in the bodies of 95% of Americans.

These chemicals persist.

Rachel Carson wrote about the damage pesticides could do to humans and wildlife in doses as small as one part per million.

In 1996 another ground-breaking book was published. Our Stolen Future by Theo Colborn and Peter Myers details the wealth of scientific research highlighting the ability of many supposedly safe manmade chemicals (including still widely used pesticides) to mimic hormones and – in parts per billion – interfere with immune system, cognitive and reproductive development.

Put simply, there is every reason to believe that chemicals in our environment are making us sick, stupid and sterile.

Earlier this year, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) released its annual guide to pesticide residues on domestic and imported produce. The guide highlights the worst of the worst, the dirty dozen fruits and vegetables which shoppers should replace with organic produce wherever possible.

Think all you have to do is wash and peel your fruit and vegetables before you eat them? Guess again. The majority of studies on which the EWG guide is based involved testing samples after they had been washed or peeled.

Most alarming were the number of samples contaminated with organophosphate (OP) insecticides.

A study by Stephen Rauch of BC Children’s Hospital has linked prenatal exposure to these known neurotoxins with lower birth weight and shorter gestation. Rauch notes that these pregnancies began after OPs were restricted for most uses. He also flags other studies linking prenatal exposure to OP insecticides with abnormal reflexes and reduced cognitive abilities.

In a worrying article in the current issue of Watershed Sentinel, children’s health expert Bruce Lanphear highlights the research linking exposure to environmental contaminants with increasingly common childhood illnesses and disabilities.

For example, OP insecticides have been strongly linked with dramatic increases in attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), while the marine anti-fouling chemical tributyltin has been identified as an “obesogen” which can mimic the hormones involved in the development of obesity.

One of the several quotes from Rachel Carson which Lanphear uses in his article is the following: “Thalidomide and pesticides represent our willingness to rush ahead and use something new without knowing what the results are going to be.” Lanphear points out that the substantial and lifelong implications for children of exposure to environmental chemicals are subtle and often unlikely to be recognised.

In the month when the manufacturer of thalidomide finally issued an apology for the damage caused by its drug, Lanphear quotes environmental health expert David Rall, who once remarked: “If tha¬lidomide had caused a ten-point loss of IQ instead of obvious birth defects of the limbs, it would probably still be on the market.”

In an article written for Environmental Health News to mark the 50th anniversary of the publication of Silent Spring, the distinguished scientist Paul Ehrlich observes: “Many people have the impression that climate disruption is the worst environmental problem humanity faces, and, indeed, its consequences may be catastrophic. But the spread of toxic chemicals from pole to pole may be the dark horse in the race.”

Ehrlich thinks Rachel Carson would be appalled by our lack of progress in stemming the flow of toxic chemicals into our air, water, food and bodies.

Perhaps it’s too late. Perhaps we’re already too sick and stupid. I hope not.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

For the full story on chemicals and children’s health go to: »www.watershedsentinel.ca/content ... hel-carson. For more details about the EWG Dirty Dozen list go to: »www.watershedsentinel.ca/content ... eally-mean.