SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA
reply to disconnected

Re: [RANT] Commercial Electric 4 in. Brushed Nickel Recessed LED

said by disconnected :

It's the same thing with a lamp in a mission critical application. Even one failure is a disaster.

Expecting near 100% is simply not reasonable. It cannot be done at the price you paid for it. It is not fair to base a review on insufficient data and unrealistic expectations.

Obviously if you need mission critical performance, you need to buy from a source that does very extensive testing on each unit at all stages of assembly. Prepare to pay $500 for each.
Or you could buy 3x more lamps and do fatigue testing on the bench for a few weeks before installation.

I don't understand the gun analogy. Makes no sense in this context.

disconnected

@snet.net

I'm not expecting 100%, but I AM expecting better than 75%, which is what I got. 1 in 4 lamps failed here. If I had 100 lamps and one failed, maybe not so bad, but 1 in 4 is a poor performance. I paid nearly $80 each at the time I bought them, which is a lot of money for a lamp like this. At that price, I expect reliability. Their performance is what I'd expect from a $10 lamp of this sort.
The gun analogy points out that some things can be made reasonably priced and are 100% reliable.

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA

You got 75%. A sampling of four is statistically not sufficient to conclude that 75% are bad in general. I also assume that you inspected the lamp after it "failed" to exclude problems in wiring and in the socket.

I am not aware of any gun that is 100% reliable. Can you point me to a source that shows relevant data to confirm your statement? (Then multiply that with the mental stability of the gun owner and you get something that's even further from 100% )

disconnected

@snet.net

The box that the lamp comes in proudly states "25 year lifespan". To me, that means it should last 25 years, not 2 hours.

I shoot lots of types of firearms and, other than some dud ammo, I've never had a gun malfunction totally. After hundreds of thousands of rounds, never had a gun explode in my face. If guns were as unreliable as these lights, I would not be here today.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

1 recommendation

said by disconnected :

The box that the lamp comes in proudly states "25 year lifespan". To me, that means it should last 25 years, not 2 hours.

Yes, if you buy 1million such lights you will see that they average 25yrs life. Some will die after 1hr, some after 1 day, some after 1 yr and some may last 100yrs.
It's not a guaranteed life, it's an AVERAGE life.

disconnected

@snet.net

If I put on my engineering hat, yes, I agree, that's largely how MTBF is calculated--an average. But the lawyer side of me says a product ought to perform up to the advertised claims.