Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

[iPad] Tip, fix for WSJ (and similar) app users

I read the WSJ app daily in the same location in my office and recently have had a lot of freezes (I need to quit app and restart).
I figured out what it is... (and this might apply to similar apps)

I sit in an area of the office where the available WiFi network (let's call it "A") has a weak-ish signal. As such, it's hit or miss.
In any event, my morning routine is to log into "A" and accept A's terms. Then I read the newspaper.
Recently, a new "open" network showed up (let's call this one "B"). It's not really open, that is, there isn't a lock icon, but it requires a password at a validation screen once you click it.
In any event, previously, if I was reading the paper (pixels?) and iPad lost the signal to A, the WiFi indicator would just disappear. However. now that there's an available alternate network that's "open", the iPad seamlessly acquires B's signal and if I'm not paying attention, I'd not notice any change (since the WiFi indicator never disappears).
This is where I was getting the freeze, since B requires a password at their validation screen, as soon as the iPad attempts to access the internet (I'm not sure whether it's WSJ app or it might be a background app like Mail), B presumably is asking for password, but since WSJ doens't appear in a Safari browser, the validation screen doesn't appear (I'm not tech savvy enough to describe this properly), so I'm guessing that WSJ is being asked to supply a password but is incapable of asking me to supply it (since the app isn't constructed to ask for such).
In any event, the easy workaround was to "forget" all the networks that required a password.
Since doing this, I don't get freezes any more.

Hope this helps.
I called WSJ and told them about this. Not sure if they can resolve it (without building a validation screen), but at least they're now aware.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

I'd rather WSJ turn off the DLing of previous days' papers.

haroldo

united state

I don't think that's it, usually the prior days items are there, so there's no need to re-download. I think it might be something else like this chronology...
WSJ active app with with iPad connected to A
iPad loses signal to A and picks up B
B requires a password, so iPad isn't connected
Background app, such as Mail, checks to see if there are any new items. Since Mail doesn't steal focus from WSJ, the system attempting to reach the validation screen (somehow) locks up WSJ

The only time I need to download prior issues is if I reinstall app (or go a few days without reading the paper...which I've yet to do....or not do)

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

That wasn't a proposed fix for you, that is my whining about the WSJ app being tossed in the ring.

haroldo

united state

gotcha...aside from the lack of back button functionality, I think it's one of the best apps I've ever used. I love it (if one can truly express a powerful emotion like love for a bunch of 0s and 1s)

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to haroldo

No, wsj is not being asked for anything cause there is no connection there. B is locking you out cause you're not signed in and wsj has no control over that. This is your local wifi access problem only.

haroldo

united state

said by howardfine:

No, wsj is not being asked for anything cause there is no connection there. B is locking you out cause you're not signed in and wsj has no control over that. This is your local wifi access problem only.

What if WSJ (formerly connected with A, but now, not connected to internet, but connected with router B) is attempting to contact the Mother Ship (it downloads a "Now" version of the paper which is updated periodically during the day).
Assuming it's programmed to check for the updated "Now" version every 20 minutes, when it tries to connect, router B asks for the password...thus the freeze (since there's nothing within WSJ app that allows you to log into a network).
Right?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

You have to go to the router that requires a password using safari and authenticate your device before opening WSJ.

The fix (or rather workaround) is to ensure that the "Ask to Join Networks" is set to ON and you forget that "open" network. Then your iPad will ignore that other network. It will ask you if you want to join it via a pop up but just tell it no.

If you have some reason to connect to it, you still can but then when you are done you would need to go into the network settings, choose that stored access point and "forget it" which removes that stored access point.