Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA

1 recommendation

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

No Crapple!

Meaning, Apple can't get broadcasters, cable companies, and studios to bow down to Apple's proprietary technology to make Apple a defacto "standard" that Apple can patent and threaten everyone else with.
steven s
Premium Member
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI

steven s

Premium Member

Exactly. The cable industry is already in dire straits in the long run - why would they want to make things even worse for themselves?
apple4ever
join:2002-06-16
Coatesville, PA

apple4ever

Haha people really believe this?

The cable industry is making it worse for themselves by NOT working with Apple.
apple4ever

apple4ever to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi
This post is so full of incorrect information I don't know where to start.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

Oh? Why don't you start somewhere and begin to tell us?
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

1 recommendation

zod5000 to apple4ever

to apple4ever
said by apple4ever:

It depends which side of the industry. How would it benefit the cableco's? If people move to online distribution it cuts them out of cable revenue and expedites cord cutting. The whole purpose of a cableco is to play the middleman between the channels and the customers (relay the signals). If people are getting that stuff via an applebox (or any other box) it cuts them out. Leaving them only to internet revenue.

On the flip side it could be beneficial to the cable channels as it would create another avenue of revenue. However it may not benefit them as much either. Carriage agreements are pretty complex. Media companies will sell their packages as a big bundle. Mix up popular stations with crappy ones and make the cableco (and thus the consumer) pay for more channels than they want. IE collecting carriage fees for channels most people wouldn't normally pay for.

I think its more complicated that you made it out to be.
steven s
Premium Member
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI

steven s to apple4ever

Premium Member

to apple4ever
said by apple4ever:

If Apple manages to convince cable companies to get on board with an Apple TV cable box, Google will quickly follow. From there, it won't be long before most customers will be using Apple or Google TV.

Now cable operators lose virtually all revenue associated with VOD and rental fees. For someone with 2 HDTVs who pays for a movie or two On Demand, this could be a loss of $30-40.

Maybe that's good for you and me, but how the hell is that good for the cable industry?

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

Cheese to apple4ever

Premium Member

to apple4ever
said by apple4ever:

Haha you really believe this?
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to apple4ever

to apple4ever
Content owners are NOT worried about Apple. And Cable MSOs own a good share of that content anyway. They an keep Apple at bay and not worry about them at all. For once someone is standing up to them.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

1 recommendation

SimbaSeven to apple4ever

to apple4ever
said by apple4ever:

That's a huge load of horse shit. If you ask every cellular company, they'll say that making the deal with the devil (aka. Apple) was the biggest drain on their financial and technical resources.

..and I could see why when Apple is getting a huge percentage on each sale of any Apple products. If companies aren't making enough revenue (or profits), things start to disappear.. like unlimited data. I can only imagine what it would do to the CATV world.

"What? My bill went up 50%!!??!"