said by LastDon:
I thought maybe yoyo would of been here defending or posting about this article..
Well, a few things I have to say about that.
1) This is an opinion page blog, not a news article.
2) It's concerning the American "Organic" label which isn't the same as the Canadian "Organic" label. Ours is stricter.
3) The study has shown that USA Organic labelled food has less pesticides and antibiotics, significantly lower in some foods.Produce, for example, was 30% lower risk of containing detect-able pesticide levels.
4) "But when bacteria did lurk in chicken or pork, germs in the non-organic meats had a 33-per-cent-higher risk of being resistant to multiple antibiotics" - a public health concern because they are harder to treat if they cause food poisoning.
5) Organic farming has a positive effect on how our food is provided in general, more than just the simple "organic fad"; it does promote people to look for local alternatives which is better in my area for our economy. It could also have positive implications in feeding children.
6) Experts said much of what's sprayed on picked foods wouldn't hurt the people picking the foods. Decades later, we've found they've caused cancers and neurological diseases. Personally, I'd rather my food didn't contain even trace amounts of chemicals that could cause that.
We don't know the real effects of many of the chemicals found in our foods and what was okay last year, the FDA has banned this year.
I don't go out of my way to buy organic foods or pay more, rather I buy local foods; but it seems logical that less toxic chemicals is healthier so if it's only a few cents more for the non-toxic variety, I'll pay the few cents more, even if its a placebo effect.