Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf

Re: BELLSOUTH email address ATT

This is great to know. My parents are paying $20/mo. to AT&T for "dialup service". They tried cancelling but it said if they do, they lose their @bellsouth.net email. They have Comcast as the ISP.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

It may have been true in the past when Bellsouth hosted their own mail, but they have outsourced it some time ago.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Robert

MVM

to Robert
said by Robert:

This is great to know. My parents are paying $20/mo. to AT&T for "dialup service". They tried cancelling but it said if they do, they lose their @bellsouth.net email. They have Comcast as the ISP.

In 2002, SBC outsourced email to Yahoo!

In 2005, SBC bought AT&T; then rebranded themselves as, "AT&T".

In 2006, AT&T bought Bellsouth.

~2007-2008, AT&T began migrating legacy Bellsouth customers to Yahoo! mail; as well any legacy SBC customers who had refused to voluntarily migrate subsequent to the 2002 outsourcing.

~2010, AT&T offered free webmail, through Yahoo!, in the 'att.net' domain to any Internet user, regardless of their ISP. At that time, they allowed any AT&T (including legacy Bellsouth and legacy SBC) customers in good standing (account paid up to the end of service) to keep their AT&T/legacy Bellsouth/legacy SBC email; which reverts to a free Yahoo! mail service.

In a web browser.

I just log in at 'mail.yahoo.com' for webmail. Or use:

Incoming: 'imap.mail.yahoo.com:993'/SSL.
Outgoing: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465'/SSL.

In an email client.

bigred44
join:2008-02-10
Charlotte, NC

bigred44

~2010, AT&T offered free webmail, through Yahoo!, in the 'att.net' domain to any Internet user, regardless of their ISP. At that time, they allowed any AT&T (including legacy Bellsouth and legacy SBC) customers in good standing (account paid up to the end of service) to keep their AT&T/legacy Bellsouth/legacy SBC email; which reverts to a free Yahoo! mail service.

Are you saying that if your legacy ATT/Bellsouth is not in good standing that they delete your account. Please clarify.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by bigred44:

Are you saying that if your legacy ATT/Bellsouth is not in good standing that they delete your account. Please clarify.

Basically, your bill has to be paid in full when you quit. If they close the account with money due, for non-payment, and likely late payment, then your account would not be "in good standing".

burris
Premium Member
join:2000-08-22
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

burris to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
I'm on POP3 mail@bellsouth.net.

I have a few email addresses with Yahoo that I've had since inception and when I enter mail.yahoo.com, I get my actual Yahoo mail.

I still get and send all my Bellsouth mail at bellsouth.net, in my case using Thunderbird as a client and when Bellsouth/ATT is functioning, all is well.

Are you saying that I should be seeing my Bellsouth mail on Yahoo as well?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

said by burris:

I'm on POP3 mail@bellsouth.net.

I have a few email addresses with Yahoo that I've had since inception and when I enter mail.yahoo.com, I get my actual Yahoo mail.

I still get and send all my Bellsouth mail at bellsouth.net, in my case using Thunderbird as a client and when Bellsouth/ATT is functioning, all is well.

Are you saying that I should be seeing my Bellsouth mail on Yahoo as well?

Yes. Even when I was with SBC, then AT&T, I could reach my account through 'mail.yahoo.com'. I have to use my full, '{%User_Name%}@pacbell.net' for the login (or one of the account 'Profile' identities).

burris
Premium Member
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

burris

Premium Member

Here's what's interesting..

I originally tried all the iterations of the email addressing.

This thread got me to see what I have and to recall what I tried.

Sending is smtp.att.yahoo.com and when the servers aren't busy, works fine.

The inbound originally never worked for me with pop.att.yahoo.com no matter how I signed in or set it up.
What did always work and still does is mail.bellsouth.net port 110-no connection security. I discovered what did change in the process was that my password that was being requested over and over is now the one I use with my Yahoo home page, even though I am still pointed to the Bellsouth mail server that most likely actually goes to the Yahoo mail servers.

I just went through the exercise of trying the inbound again with the Yahoo settings..nothing.

Since what I have works when it does and I can reach it from everywhere when we travel, I suppose I can just leave it alone.
I don't take it personally, but am always the curious sort, and that's why I'm constantly rebuilding my PCs and programs after I mess them up.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to graysonf

to graysonf
At one time when you disconnected Dialup or DSL they nuked your email address in something like .0000000000001 seconds. If you tried to switch back they usually would not let you have your old address.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to burris

MVM

to burris
said by burris:

The inbound originally never worked for me with pop.att.yahoo.com no matter how I signed in or set it up.
What did always work and still does is mail.bellsouth.net port 110-no connection security. I discovered what did change in the process was that my password that was being requested over and over is now the one I use with my Yahoo home page, even though I am still pointed to the Bellsouth mail server that most likely actually goes to the Yahoo mail servers.

I just went through the exercise of trying the inbound again with the Yahoo settings..nothing.

Must be a Bellsouth thing? When I migrated to 'SBC Yahoo! DSL Service' in 2002, the inbound SBC sever ('postoffice.pacbell.net') stopped holding my email. I could log in, but nothing would be there. I assumed because it was transferred to 'pop.pacbell.yahoo.com'.

I just now tried 'smtp.att.yahoo.com'. It worked, sort of; but the write to the "Sent" folder failed. Switching back to 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' restored that functionality.

I am not playing with the POP3 servers because the IMAP servers work for me. Using the 'pacbell.net' domain; legacy SBC.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by burris:

Must be a Bellsouth thing? When I migrated to 'SBC Yahoo! DSL Service' in 2002, the inbound SBC sever ('postoffice.pacbell.net') stopped holding my email. I could log in, but nothing would be there. I assumed because it was transferred to 'pop.pacbell.yahoo.com'.

I just now tried 'smtp.att.yahoo.com'. It worked, sort of; but the write to the "Sent" folder failed. Switching back to 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' restored that functionality.

I am not playing with the POP3 servers because the IMAP servers work for me. Using the 'pacbell.net' domain; legacy SBC.

Not really a "BellSouth" thing, or a former customer thing. I have no problems reaching all of my former @bellsouth.net and @att.net email accounts no matter how I access them.

I can access all of them from »mail.yahoo.com, or via POP3 using mail.bellsouth.net, fpostoffice.isp.att.net, inbound.att.net, or pop.att.yahoo.com. I can also use the authenticated smtp servers fmailhost.isp.att.net, outbound.att.net, and smtp.att.yahoo.com (although the latter two do have Yahoo's "from" email address restrictions). I also can get to all of them from the built-in email client in my AT&T cell phone (which seems to use IMAP for the AT&T/Yahoo! accounts since I can see the trash, junk, etc folders).

I really can't understand why many people have historically had problems accessing the various AT&T email domains because I have never had problems using any of the above hostnames to access AT&T email from any network to which I was connected (unless the local network admin was specifically blocking something).

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by NetFixer:

I really can't understand why many people have historically had problems accessing the various AT&T email domains because I have never had problems using any of the above hostnames to access AT&T email from any network to which I was connected (unless the local network admin was specifically blocking something).

Well, as I experienced it, the incoming SBC servers listed in my original setup docs (postoffice.[nvbell|pacbell|swbell].net) stopped holding email after December 18, 2002, when I migrated service. Login worked (may still work), but there was never any email there.

For SMTP, for the longest time, 'mail.pacbell.net' was limited by ACL (couldn't send from a non-SBC IP address). Not long before SBC bought AT&T they changed that. Caused some weirdness with dial connections because Pacific Bell had contracted with Level 3 for dial-op POPs. If a PacBell sub connected by dial-up through a Level 3 POP, the 4.x.x.x IP address on the connection was not in the ACL, so send would fail. Just when they got around to fixing that, they bought AT&T and moved the dial-up POPs from 4.x.x.x to 12.x.x.x.

I never played with the *.att.net servers because I always could use 'smtpauth.sbcglobal.net'.

burris
Premium Member
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

burris

Premium Member

This is really nuts.

The only email address that works for me is mail.bellsouth.net...port 110 along with the password from my Yahoo account. It seems the original password for all these years from the Bellsouth world went away.

At my stage of life I don't really care. As I said, when the servers are working, I'm happy.
My email doesn't seem to care and neither do I.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by burris:

This is really nuts.

The only email address that works for me is mail.bellsouth.net...port 110 along with the password from my Yahoo account. It seems the original password for all these years from the Bellsouth world went away.

Password synchronization between multiple servers (especially when multiple domains and companies are involved) can be a PITA for everyone involved.

For example, I currently use Comcast Business Class HSI as my ISP, but I also have some legacy email addresses left over from when I had Comcast residential class HSI several years ago. I can still access those email accounts just as I can access my BellSouth and AT&T email accounts even though I am no longer a customer. And Comcast Business Class services and Xfinity residential services are treated by Comcast as if they were totally separate companies. Several months back I tried to change the passwords on a couple of those old residential email accounts, and now I have two different passwords for each of those accounts; the new passwords only work for Xfinity webmail and their portal site, and the original passwords have to be used for the POP3 and SMTP email servers.

I have had similar password sync problems happen with password sync between AT&T and Yahoo!, but they always managed to get in sync after a few days.