uniqs

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to DKS

Anon

to DKS

Re: Organic Food.. not as safe?

said by DKS:

Got proof? CTV and W5 don't accept money.

They do from sponsors... And networks have pulled shows before because of sponsors or commercial air time and disagreements with certain shows like this.

So yes the network accepts money. Of course they do. And this influences what is shown or not shown, and also influences other things in connection to it.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by hm :

said by DKS:

Got proof? CTV and W5 don't accept money.

They do from sponsors... And networks have pulled shows before because of sponsors or commercial air time and disagreements with certain shows like this.

So yes the network accepts money. Of course they do. And this influences what is shown or not shown, and also influences other things in connection to it.

You really don't know how the media works.
Expand your moderator at work

CanadianRip
join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON

CanadianRip to DKS

to DKS

Re: Organic Food.. not as safe?

said by DKS:

You really don't know how the media works.

I do - and I can tell you that you're very naive as to how it works.

Want one example - dig up one major scathing article about MDG Computers exposing their unethical business practices in a major news publication where they advertised major full page spreads frequently.

Right down to influencing even local papers that distribute through Metroland/other conglomerates.

A company with a history of screwing over people for over a decade, and not one person manages to blow the whistle? I wonder why that is...

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by CanadianRip:

A company with a history of screwing over people for over a decade, and not one person manages to blow the whistle? I wonder why that is...

Wow, it's funny you bring that up... I'm the only person outside of a group of people I'm friends with thats ever echoed that question.

I'm familiar with MDG's extremely unethical business practices, right down to criminal acts, and I've always wondered how they were never called on their shit.

CanadianRip
Oakville, ON

CanadianRip

said by urbanriot:

Wow, it's funny you bring that up... I'm the only person outside of a group of people I'm friends with thats ever echoed that question.

I'm familiar with MDG's extremely unethical business practices, right down to criminal acts, and I've always wondered how they were never called on their shit.

I need to walk a fine line in what I say, but I will say this: There are a few ticked off journalists out there that tried to publish for their respective publications and where not allowed.

In fact MDG managed to get their PR machine to write up a full page editorial on Goran Varaklic the CEO as some kind of brilliant business person.

If a smaller company like that can manage their PR in that manner, then imagine what Kraft, General Mills, PepsiCo, and Nestle can do to combat a growing organic movement that directly threatens their entire business model with some spend?

You think they can squeeze out a bad report or two? Nah... we can fully trust all our for profit media companies 100%! How you can read that last sentence and not understand how idiotic it sounds is baffling.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to CanadianRip

to CanadianRip
said by CanadianRip:

Want one example - dig up one major scathing article about MDG Computers exposing their unethical business practices in a major news publication where they advertised major full page spreads frequently.

MDG is still in business? Looks like they have expanded into furniture. They have a grand total of ten stores in Canada! Their Line of Credit is an obvious rip off. So is their web site, with no prices listed. And they ask you to give up your SIN for a credit check. Obvious traps. But I haven't seen an MDG ad in print or on TV for years.
DKS

DKS to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Did you ever complain? Write to Goldhawk? Marketplace? Ellen Roseman (to name a few)?
DKS

DKS to CanadianRip

to CanadianRip
said by CanadianRip:

In fact MDG managed to get their PR machine to write up a full page editorial on Goran Varaklic the CEO as some kind of brilliant business person.

A quick search brought up all kinds of legal actions like this »www.servicealberta.gov.a ··· /MDG.pdf against MDG. That's doesn't mean that the media are ignoring him or that they are influenced by advertisers. Just that MDG is a company I would not do business with. Caveat Emptor.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by urbanriot:

Did you ever complain?

Not through social or organizational methods, but more through legal channels. They did change one practice shortly thereafter but we're not sure if that was a natural change or prompted by action.

Some of their actions though, difficult to voice a complaint. They did one shady deal where you buy a PC and you get a free printer! ...unfortunately they removed the colour ink cartridges, which the printer wouldn't function without. If you wanted the 'colour option' you'd have to pay $35 or something like that.

I'm not sure if such in-store deals represented company policy but they had a reputation amongst IT people 'round these parts and we all continually wondered how their reputation wasn't known to the general public. How are these guys still in business?

Sometimes I think CanadianRip is off his rocker... sometimes I think he might be on to something...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by urbanriot:

said by DKS:

said by urbanriot:

Did you ever complain?

Not through social or organizational methods, but more through legal channels. They did change one practice shortly thereafter but we're not sure if that was a natural change or prompted by action.

Some of their actions though, difficult to voice a complaint. They did one shady deal where you buy a PC and you get a free printer! ...unfortunately they removed the colour ink cartridges, which the printer wouldn't function without. If you wanted the 'colour option' you'd have to pay $35 or something like that.

I'm not sure if such in-store deals represented company policy but they had a reputation amongst IT people 'round these parts and we all continually wondered how their reputation wasn't known to the general public. How are these guys still in business?

Sometimes I think CanadianRip is off his rocker... sometimes I think he might be on to something...

The practice of removing the printer cartridge is an extension of the printer manufacturer's practice of putting partial cartridges in new printers so that you print a few pages and then have to buy a new one... which you don't discover until too late.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by DKS:

The practice of removing the printer cartridge is an extension of the printer manufacturer's practice of putting partial cartridges in new printers so that you print a few pages and then have to buy a new one... which you don't discover until too late.

Uhm no.

»www.moneyville.ca/articl ··· k-of-ink

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki

Not directed at you elwood.

While this is off topic to the thread at hand, just stop buying inkjet printers, spend the extra $50-70, and buy a decent colour laserjet and never look back. I'm still on the "starter toner" kit from over a year ago which was only supposed to last for 2500 sheets of black and around the same for colour. I've printed nearly 6000 sheets of black, and have 30% of the toner left and 40% of the colour. There's plenty of good models out there.

Hell, I know a few people who are still on the starter kits from 3-4 years ago on their colour laser printers.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

A partial ink cartridge can give a casual user half a year of printing, while removing the cartridge renders the device inoperable. I wouldn't call that an extension, as they advertised a free item that people expected to function until they plugged it all in and discovered they need to spend money to restore its operation.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by urbanriot:

said by DKS:

A partial ink cartridge can give a casual user half a year of printing, while removing the cartridge renders the device inoperable. I wouldn't call that an extension, as they advertised a free item that people expected to function until they plugged it all in and discovered they need to spend money to restore its operation.

If you can get 6 months of use out of those partial cartridges, you must not print much...
DKS

DKS to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by DKS:

Uhm no.

»www.moneyville.ca/articl ··· k-of-ink

Yes, I read that article recently. Both are rip-off practices.

CanadianRip
Oakville, ON

CanadianRip to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

A quick search brought up all kinds of legal actions like this »www.servicealberta.gov.a ··· /MDG.pdf against MDG. That's doesn't mean that the media are ignoring him or that they are influenced by advertisers. Just that MDG is a company I would not do business with. Caveat Emptor.

According to you? Sorry, I have first hand information from someone who actually been responsible for managing their Public Relations. They are currently under my employment.
MDG did threaten to pull advertising in retaliation to harmful articles.

I really don't give a crap about exposing this either, because they're a nobody company with insufficient resources to try to drag anyone into libel action.
CanadianRip

1 recommendation

CanadianRip to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

You'll be a far happier person if you continue to believe I am in fact off my rocker.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Their Line of Credit is an obvious rip off. So is their web site, with no prices listed. And they ask you to give up your SIN for a credit check. Obvious traps. But I haven't seen an MDG ad in print or on TV for years.

I'd dealt with them in the past, but not for many years. They used to post prices on the website. When I bought my first computer from them (over 15 years ago) they were one of the few low cost options around. I've never done anything but pay cash there. Last laptop I bought they simply weren't the lowest option.