dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
darknecros
join:2008-03-20

darknecros

[NV] 64QAM on the upstream in Las Vegas?

I just noticed that it seems we are now getting 64QAM on the upstream in Las Vegas, NV now. The other times I looked at the status page, I only noticed a QAM that was a lower number than 64 and QPSK.

Now it's showing QPSK, 16QAM, and now 64 QAM.
bryant313
join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

what part of vegas are you in?
OppositeJay
join:2008-03-12
Pensacola, FL

OppositeJay to darknecros

to darknecros
I am getting it too as of this evening here in Pensacola, FL. Speed has settled at 12Mbps on the upstream. Not bad!
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

i wonder if i am getting 64QAM?

i will check i am in the spring valley area
bryant313

bryant313

i am still on 16QAM
darknecros

darknecros

I am in the 89104 area Kinda on the east side just a few miles from downtown.
Also note that I am on the Premier tier.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to darknecros

Premium Member

to darknecros
Been on 64QAM as well for a month of two in Baton Rouge market.

Does anyone know exactly what the numbers mean in brackets? I haven't figured out what they mean as it shows QPSK as well and you can't be on two modulation schemes at once.

[3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313 to darknecros

to darknecros
what is the symbol rate on your 64QAM?

digiblur
Premium Member
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

5.120 Msym/sec
darknecros

darknecros

Mine is showing as 2.560 Msym/sec.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to digiblur

to digiblur
said by digiblur:

Does anyone know exactly what the numbers mean in brackets? I haven't figured out what they mean as it shows QPSK as well and you can't be on two modulation schemes at once.

[3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM

it shows what is available for instance my upstream is:

[3] QSPK
[2] 16QAM
[3] 64QAM

but the highest one shown on the upstream is what you are connected to. If there is noise it will go to QAM16 or QSPK if the line is totally trashed with noise.

digiblur
Premium Member
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

said by motorola870:

said by digiblur:

[3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM

it shows what is available for instance my upstream is:

[3] QSPK
[2] 16QAM
[3] 64QAM

but the highest one shown on the upstream is what you are connected to. If there is noise it will go to QAM16 or QSPK if the line is totally trashed with noise.

Kinda figured that but then I was like well why doesn't it bond them. I guess they have to have that part turned on.
Cox_LV_Eng
join:2011-12-21
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

Cox_LV_Eng to bryant313

to bryant313
quote:
i wonder if i am getting 64QAM?

i will check i am in the spring valley area

Maybe!
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

just checked again i am still on 16QAM
Cox_LV_Eng
Las Vegas, NV

Cox_LV_Eng

I said maybe... not that you should have it already! You will in the not so distant future... can't give you dates though.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

are you by chance a Cox employee? cause with that info you sound like one :P

i know upstream channel bonding has to be coming soon too
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313:

are you by chance a Cox employee? cause with that info you sound like one :P

i know upstream channel bonding has to be coming soon too

Uh did you not read his name? Not saying anyone couldn't create a name like that. But he has commented here a couple times, with info regarding to the LV market. So yes most likely, he's a cox engineer in the LV market.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

When in doubt, check it out:
»Cox HSI Forum FAQ »Who are the authorized Cox employees that provide support on this forum?
Cox_LV_Eng
Las Vegas, NV

Cox_LV_Eng to darknecros

to darknecros
USCB could be in your future as well... man you guys are impatient!
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

hahaha yes indeed very impatient XD

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to darknecros

to darknecros
Impatient because of the heat makes us that way.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

i agree with that and i believe David Lee Roth wrote a song about it
bryant313

bryant313 to Cox_LV_Eng

to Cox_LV_Eng
hahahah this is how i feel about waiting hahah

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· BhaULToU
bryant313

bryant313

still no 64QAM in the Spring Valley area

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas

Like Cox_LV_Eng said, patience. We are (at this point now, obviously, so not giving away company secrets ) doing it in chunks across the city. Since we're changing how a lot of cable modems can work, and we're trying to make sure as many people as possible can take advantage of 64QAM (and some other super-top-secret goodies ), a fair bit of effort is involved. In some cases, pre-checks require fixing issues in the field, then we make the change, and then go through and find stragglers and fix them. Rinse, repeat. If we did it valley wide at once, perhaps 99% of people would be fine, 0.99% wouldn't be able to use 64QAM which makes us sad, and 0.01% might have residual problems. (These are not the real numbers, just examples). 0.01% of Las Vegas is still more people calling in than we want and more field work at once than we want, so we do the pre-work and do things in smaller chunks.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

thank you for the info
bryant313

bryant313 to CoxVegas

to CoxVegas
just saw the new speed tiers for the Rhode Island market and i am excited hoping Cox will do the same here within the next few months
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313:

just saw the new speed tiers for the Rhode Island market and i am excited hoping Cox will do the same here within the next few months

Don't get your hopes up to much, as 64QAM, and upstream bonding is your limiting factor currently. I am sure they are main projects that are currently being worked on in your NV market. Which I am sure once upstream bonding is in place in your market, your local market will probably like a couple months of monitoring things to see how good everything is running. So I am not saying its impossible, you won't see a speed increase soon in your market. Just if there is, don't expect much of an increase on the upload side. As upload speed is still really limited for you, without 64QAM on the upstream, and no upstream bonding.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

i just hope they can do it quickly i know this is unlikely though

at least within the next few months or next six months even

but after seeing the speed upgrades for Rhode Island i am ex termly impatient and excited now
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313:

i just hope they can do it quickly i know this is unlikely though

at least within the next few months or next six months even

but after seeing the speed upgrades for Rhode Island i am ex termly impatient and excited now

Well sadly, you will have to have lots of patient's with cox. As upstream channel bonding, won't equal faster upload speeds for you right off the bat. Yes there will be a lot more bandwidth capacity for cox to play with, and yes I was happy when they turned it on here. But I knew the reality wasn't gonna be faster speeds now, but more down the road. Knowing that, I was just hoping for a more steady connection. Which I think things are, but I still have problems with upstream noise at times. Thinking about it, I am currently at the 5 month mark of having upstream channel bonding.

Anyways I am not here to be a downer about things, but let you know the reality of how this stuff works. Also I am sure you can ask some of the cox guys yourself, and they will probably admit. That cox is very conservative about the changes they make.