how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to darknecros

Re: [NV] 64QAM on the upstream in Las Vegas?

Impatient because of the heat makes us that way.

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

i agree with that and i believe David Lee Roth wrote a song about it

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to Cox_LV_Eng

hahahah this is how i feel about waiting hahah

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9EBhaULToU

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

still no 64QAM in the Spring Valley area

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10

Like Cox_LV_Eng said, patience. We are (at this point now, obviously, so not giving away company secrets ) doing it in chunks across the city. Since we're changing how a lot of cable modems can work, and we're trying to make sure as many people as possible can take advantage of 64QAM (and some other super-top-secret goodies ), a fair bit of effort is involved. In some cases, pre-checks require fixing issues in the field, then we make the change, and then go through and find stragglers and fix them. Rinse, repeat. If we did it valley wide at once, perhaps 99% of people would be fine, 0.99% wouldn't be able to use 64QAM which makes us sad, and 0.01% might have residual problems. (These are not the real numbers, just examples). 0.01% of Las Vegas is still more people calling in than we want and more field work at once than we want, so we do the pre-work and do things in smaller chunks.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

thank you for the info

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to CoxVegas

just saw the new speed tiers for the Rhode Island market and i am excited hoping Cox will do the same here within the next few months

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bryant313:

just saw the new speed tiers for the Rhode Island market and i am excited hoping Cox will do the same here within the next few months

Don't get your hopes up to much, as 64QAM, and upstream bonding is your limiting factor currently. I am sure they are main projects that are currently being worked on in your NV market. Which I am sure once upstream bonding is in place in your market, your local market will probably like a couple months of monitoring things to see how good everything is running. So I am not saying its impossible, you won't see a speed increase soon in your market. Just if there is, don't expect much of an increase on the upload side. As upload speed is still really limited for you, without 64QAM on the upstream, and no upstream bonding.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

i just hope they can do it quickly i know this is unlikely though

at least within the next few months or next six months even

but after seeing the speed upgrades for Rhode Island i am ex termly impatient and excited now

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bryant313:

but after seeing the speed upgrades for Rhode Island i am ex termly impatient and excited now

Well sadly, you will have to have lots of patient's with cox. As upstream channel bonding, won't equal faster upload speeds for you right off the bat. Yes there will be a lot more bandwidth capacity for cox to play with, and yes I was happy when they turned it on here. But I knew the reality wasn't gonna be faster speeds now, but more down the road. Knowing that, I was just hoping for a more steady connection. Which I think things are, but I still have problems with upstream noise at times. Thinking about it, I am currently at the 5 month mark of having upstream channel bonding.

Anyways I am not here to be a downer about things, but let you know the reality of how this stuff works. Also I am sure you can ask some of the cox guys yourself, and they will probably admit. That cox is very conservative about the changes they make.

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV
reply to bryant313

said by bryant313:

Remember though... Most of our cables are underground unlike some of the other places that got upgraded. So it takes longer and cost more, and we had recent flooding. Plus the valley is a big place. Also we have about half of the population just in the city of Las Vegas as Rhode Island has in their whole state.
/joke

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

i now have 64QAM on the upstream i take it that upstream channel bonding is right around the corner now

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

i am also getting higher power boost speeds on the upload
used to only burst up to 5mbps now it bursts up to 7.5mbps

download power boost speed seems to be higher as well bursting up too 120mbps

darknecros

join:2008-03-20
reply to darknecros

As for USCB I appear to be getting it now.

On my cable modem page it is showing TWO upstream channels instead of one. I also just noticed it today with my cable modem showing a blue light instead of green on the upstream indicator, which means channel bonding.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

what part of Vegas are you in?

and what upload speeds are you getting now?

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

well i lost 64QAM on my upstream back too 16QAM

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV

Looks like you were load balanced down to our channel that's 16QAM for a little while - you're back on 64QAM for the moment. Normal activity.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

thanks for the info
when you mean for the moment does that mean i will be losing it again and going back to 16QAM or is 64QAM here to stay?

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to CoxVegas

lost 64QAM again

hopefully all these improvements lead towards speed upgrades like Rhode Island saw

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bryant313:

lost 64QAM again

hopefully all these improvements lead towards speed upgrades like Rhode Island saw

Well I can tell you for sure, the load balancing feature cox has used on the upstream, has been rather a disappointment. I was happy once upstream channel bonding went live here. If I remember correctly, when I was on a single upstream channel, and cox started using load balancing on the upstream. My modem would jump between different upstream channels, one would be 16QAM, and other 64QAM. Oddly though, if I was on a 16QAM channel, and started using upload bandwidth, the modem would switch to the 64QAM channel.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

did you see any overall burst upload speed improvements?

what is the benefit of load balancing?

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bryant313:

did you see any overall burst upload speed improvements?

what is the benefit of load balancing?

Well exactly what it sounds like, to help balance the load on all the available upstream channels. Sadly here, it had more of a negative effect more then anything. As for speed improvements, I am sure it kept people being able to max there upload speeds. But for me, it had my modem switching threw upstream channels a lot, when actively using upstream bandwidth.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

yeah i hope that is not what it comes to i mean i still only have one upstream channel but it keeps going between 16QAM and 64QAM pretty much what you described

are they still load balancing your upstream channels?

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bryant313:

yeah i hope that is not what it comes to i mean i still only have one upstream channel but it keeps going between 16QAM and 64QAM pretty much what you described

are they still load balancing your upstream channels?

No once upstream channel bonding is in place, load balancing on the upstream is no longer a factor. As you are connected to multiple channels, making it a useless feature to be used anymore.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

okay

how long were you load balanced before you got upstream channel bonding?

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV

1 edit
reply to bryant313

As has been mentioned, it is a mostly automatic process designed to spread out the load between upstream channels.

There isn't any practical benefit* to 64QAM over 16QAM except for the channel using 64QAM having a higher total carrying capacity (by 50%) - it doesn't really matter for end-user performance as long as there is enough bandwidth available on whatever channel you settle on for your needs. The total carrying capacity in either scheme is more than your maximum provisioned upstream bandwidth.

Or, put it another way, say there are 3 channels, 2 at 64QAM and 1 at 16QAM. To simplify, we'll call it buckets of bandwidth, so we have 30, 30, and 20 (remember the 64QAM is 50% more than 16QAM). If we have 60 need, we could spread it 30, 30, and 0, but that would leave no room for burst, etc. A better spread is 23, 24, 13 (or so), leaving us 6-7 buckets available on each channel for burst or additional customers.

tldr; version: The people on 16QAM aren't getting inferior service just by being on a 16QAM channel.

* 64QAM is more vulnerable to poor line conditions. This is the main reason why all 3 channels aren't using 64QAM - it's gives modems a place for those cases where line quality doesn't allow 64QAM. Being on 16QAM doesn't necessarily mean you're in that case (very, very few people actually are) - it most likely means we're just trying to make use of the bandwidth that is there since there's not enough people that HAVE to use it.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

once again thank you for the info

i wonder what parts of vegas already have upstream channel bonding?

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

just ran a speed test and i am bursting up too 13mbps up on one single upstream channel with 64QAM enabled but it drops right back to 2mbps almost instantly

and on the cox speed test i am bursting up to 20mbps up on one single 64QAM enabled channel

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV
reply to bryant313

Regarding what parts of Vegas, I can't disclose that - partly because it's an ongoing operational issue and partly because it's by node and the boundaries would be no sense at all - we have giant printed maps databases, and timelines to keep track of it all.

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV
reply to darknecros

Click for full size
Upstream bonding
Thank you COX for finally turning on upstream bonding in my area of LV.