how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV
reply to lilstone87

Re: [NV] 64QAM on the upstream in Las Vegas?

did you see any overall burst upload speed improvements?

what is the benefit of load balancing?

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bryant313:

did you see any overall burst upload speed improvements?

what is the benefit of load balancing?

Well exactly what it sounds like, to help balance the load on all the available upstream channels. Sadly here, it had more of a negative effect more then anything. As for speed improvements, I am sure it kept people being able to max there upload speeds. But for me, it had my modem switching threw upstream channels a lot, when actively using upstream bandwidth.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

yeah i hope that is not what it comes to i mean i still only have one upstream channel but it keeps going between 16QAM and 64QAM pretty much what you described

are they still load balancing your upstream channels?

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bryant313:

yeah i hope that is not what it comes to i mean i still only have one upstream channel but it keeps going between 16QAM and 64QAM pretty much what you described

are they still load balancing your upstream channels?

No once upstream channel bonding is in place, load balancing on the upstream is no longer a factor. As you are connected to multiple channels, making it a useless feature to be used anymore.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

okay

how long were you load balanced before you got upstream channel bonding?

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:6

1 edit
reply to bryant313

As has been mentioned, it is a mostly automatic process designed to spread out the load between upstream channels.

There isn't any practical benefit* to 64QAM over 16QAM except for the channel using 64QAM having a higher total carrying capacity (by 50%) - it doesn't really matter for end-user performance as long as there is enough bandwidth available on whatever channel you settle on for your needs. The total carrying capacity in either scheme is more than your maximum provisioned upstream bandwidth.

Or, put it another way, say there are 3 channels, 2 at 64QAM and 1 at 16QAM. To simplify, we'll call it buckets of bandwidth, so we have 30, 30, and 20 (remember the 64QAM is 50% more than 16QAM). If we have 60 need, we could spread it 30, 30, and 0, but that would leave no room for burst, etc. A better spread is 23, 24, 13 (or so), leaving us 6-7 buckets available on each channel for burst or additional customers.

tldr; version: The people on 16QAM aren't getting inferior service just by being on a 16QAM channel.

* 64QAM is more vulnerable to poor line conditions. This is the main reason why all 3 channels aren't using 64QAM - it's gives modems a place for those cases where line quality doesn't allow 64QAM. Being on 16QAM doesn't necessarily mean you're in that case (very, very few people actually are) - it most likely means we're just trying to make use of the bandwidth that is there since there's not enough people that HAVE to use it.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

once again thank you for the info

i wonder what parts of vegas already have upstream channel bonding?

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

just ran a speed test and i am bursting up too 13mbps up on one single upstream channel with 64QAM enabled but it drops right back to 2mbps almost instantly

and on the cox speed test i am bursting up to 20mbps up on one single 64QAM enabled channel

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV
reply to bryant313

Regarding what parts of Vegas, I can't disclose that - partly because it's an ongoing operational issue and partly because it's by node and the boundaries would be no sense at all - we have giant printed maps databases, and timelines to keep track of it all.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to darknecros

Click for full size
Upstream bonding
Thank you COX for finally turning on upstream bonding in my area of LV.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

what kind of upload speeds are you getting like what is your highest burst speed?

and what part of vegas are you in?

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to CoxVegas

said by CoxVegas:

* 64QAM is more vulnerable to poor line conditions. This is the main reason why all 3 channels aren't using 64QAM - it's gives modems a place for those cases where line quality doesn't allow 64QAM. Being on 16QAM doesn't necessarily mean you're in that case (very, very few people actually are) - it most likely means we're just trying to make use of the bandwidth that is there since there's not enough people that HAVE to use it.

Thanks for that confirmation as I heard someone else say something was wrong if all the channels weren't 64QAM. I didn't think that was the case as I expected it was for exactly what you are talking about. I had a friend that had horrible cable modem signals due to splitters and such and it was only bonding 2 upstream. Once I got him in line with almost perfect signals he's now bonding 4 channels (2 at 16 and 2 at 64)

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV
reply to bryant313

Heh, if it makes you feel any better, I don't have USCB enabled at my house (yet...)

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to bryant313

said by bryant313:

what kind of upload speeds are you getting like what is your highest burst speed?

and what part of vegas are you in?

Burst of up to 12 averages 10 to 11 burst only. Still 25/2 sustained.

In the 89146 area code. Close to The Lakes and Spring Valley.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

i literally live right on the other side of your zip code so hopefully soon for my area

i am seeing upload burst speeds up to 20mbps on a single 64QAM channel

SatManager

join:2011-03-17
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to darknecros

We now have it in 89081 in North Las Vegas now (sometime in the last week).

Cox_LV_Eng

join:2011-12-21
Las Vegas, NV
reply to bryant313

Wellllll... one of my favorite video game franchises is releasing a new title the day I'm supposed to enable USCB in your area... decisions decisions... =)

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV

Oh is that that one game you've been going on about all blasted month?

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Cox_LV_Eng

said by Cox_LV_Eng:

Wellllll... one of my favorite video game franchises is releasing a new title the day I'm supposed to enable USCB in your area... decisions decisions... =)

Halo or black ops 2? Just kidding, most likely a pc game release knowing you guys.

Cox_LV_Eng

join:2011-12-21
Las Vegas, NV

Just Dance 4... *pumps fist*....JK

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Cox_LV_Eng:

Just Dance 4... *pumps fist*....JK

Lmao could only imagine the look on ur coworkers face, if you told them that. But yeah i am a big fan of the cod series, but hated black ops. So i hope black ops 2 is better, took to many bullets to kill people in the first black ops game online.

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV

What do you mean? We frequently have Dance Dance Revolution matches here.... Is Just Dance 4 bad or something?

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by CoxVegas:

What do you mean? We frequently have Dance Dance Revolution matches here.... Is Just Dance 4 bad or something?

Lol maybe its just me, and dancing isn't my thing :P Is that what y'all do on boring slow days? I can agree it does look like it could be fun to do sometimes, even if its just to laugh at others trying to dance who are just bad at it.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to Cox_LV_Eng

you guys are cracking me up XD

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV
reply to lilstone87

Cox_LV_Eng, do YOU have any idea what these "boring slow days" are? They sound fantastic, whatever they are.

spacefunk
39 going on 12
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Las Vegas, NV
reply to darknecros

Still no upstream bonding in the 89117 The Lakes/Peccole Ranch area even though the 89117 post office is nowhere near here)

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to CoxVegas

said by CoxVegas:

Cox_LV_Eng, do YOU have any idea what these "boring slow days" are? They sound fantastic, whatever they are.

Oh damn I forgot there is no slow days for you guy's. The real question to this discussion is..... Who better at Dance Dance Revolution? Btw I don't think bryant313 See Profile will mind if you take a couple extra days to play the new game coming out, instead of lighting up USCB on time.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

hahahahahah

john_fla

join:2002-09-10
Gainesville, FL
reply to Beezel

OK, How do u know what QAM you have (I'm in Gainesville, FL). Only 1 upstream channel shows in my 3010 setup screen. Thanks.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

you can view what QAM you have by restarting your modem and while the modem is still restarting

pull up the modem diagnostics page and go over to docsis signal or signal page and scroll down to the bottom of the page where you would find the upstream channels

and it should display what QAM you have next to signal level