how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

FIOS prices getting outrageous

With the recent round of FIOS prices increases, they are becoming a little bit(alot) outrageous.

I only have double play(TV -no premium channels and internet) and my last bill was $155. What da hell?

I bitched and moaned to customer service and they gave me a 1 year customer loyalty discount of $15.

Still too expensive.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

I agree 100%, unfortunately there is no alternative. All the providers will charge about that much.

skierrob

join:2012-08-13
Signal Hill, CA
reply to navyson

Can you let us know what packages you have?

I have 15/5 internet and Prime HD and my bundle is only $74.99 per month. Add in a cable card and the free standard def set top box and it still is only $81 after taxes.

How are you getting to $155? 5 DVR's plus higher internet speeds or something?

Robert

Ted Shekler

join:2011-03-10
West Chester, PA

Is 15/5 speed quick enough to use the internet for normal stuff like facebook, emails, youtube videos?

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

said by Ted Shekler:

Is 15/5 speed quick enough to use the internet for normal stuff like facebook, emails, youtube videos?

Yes

Ted Shekler

West Chester, PA

thanks so what good is having this fancy quantum speed?

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

said by Ted Shekler:

Everything is just faster, especially downloading large files (like video files you may purchase), etc.
Now how about we get back to the actual thread topic?
(Sorry to the thread originator.)

Ted Shekler

West Chester, PA
reply to navyson

Thanks and yes I agree the pricing is getting too high. I may drop down to a lower speed to offset the price bump. I cant get much from retention as they already gave me ultimate basically for the price of extreme last time.

it pays to use the "Directv is asking me to come back" line to try and get them to knock some money off the bill.

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to navyson

said by navyson:

With the recent round of FIOS prices increases, they are becoming a little bit(alot) outrageous.

I only have double play(TV -no premium channels and internet) and my last bill was $155. What da hell?

I bitched and moaned to customer service and they gave me a 1 year customer loyalty discount of $15.

Still too expensive.

$155 does sound high for double play. Does that include the cost of DVRs/receivers? For comparison, I'm paying about $130/month for the triple play ultimate package (that includes all the premiums, and 35/35 internet). I do tack on additional fees for 1 DVR and 2 extra receivers.

Have you looked into the cost of triple play? I thought about downgrading to double play, but they told me the price would actually be higher due to the bundling discounts, so I stuck with triple play.

joeblw

@verizon.net
reply to skierrob

We pay 99.99 for double play Extreme HD and 15/5 internet.
Plus 2 DVRs and 1 other box total is ~$150.

Sounds like the prices are different in the different areas.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to navyson

Just one year ago in Jersey I was able to get a new user triple play (25/25,ExtremeHD,voice) for $64.99 (with boxes and taxes runs around $95). Today the lowest price I have found for a new user is around $109.99 for the same package (the $84.99 they advertise is 15/5,PrimeHD,voice). Pretty amazing price increase of 60% in just one year.

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to Ted Shekler

said by Ted Shekler:

I don't. I have 25/25

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to skierrob

I have Extreme HD with 25/25 internet.

1 DVR and 2HD boxes

Max Greene

join:2000-12-22
Bayonne, NJ
reply to navyson

That sounds high. I have 75/35 and the lowest TV with lifetime SHO free and a free SD box for $91 a month.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

said by Max Greene:

That sounds high. I have 75/35 and the lowest TV with lifetime SHO free and a free SD box for $91 a month.

Thats a good price considering what FIOS is now offering...

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to navyson

said by navyson:

I have Extreme HD with 25/25 internet.

1 DVR and 2HD boxes

You are flat out being raped!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
Expand your moderator at work

Mr X

@58.218.185.x

1 edit
reply to navyson

Re: FIOS prices getting outrageous

The 25/25 + Extreme double play bundle recently became the 50/25 + Extreme double play bundle.

$119.99 is the the current standard price, excluding all introductory bill credits, of the 50/25 + Extreme double play bundle.

And the current prices for their DVR and HD STBs are $16.99 and $11.99.

So to $119.99, add $16.99 + ( $11.99 x 2 ).

Total: $160.96

Meaning your bill is correct and is in fact $5 less, likely due to your grandfathered 25/25 tier.

But you are still right. It is rape. And the only escape is to churn between providers forever. You begin by subscribing to FIOS as a new customer, qualifying you for introductory discounts, and a 1-2 year price guarantee. Then, when that term expires, you switch to bundling with your cable company, where you will also qualify as a new subscriber, with introductory discounts for a 1-2 year period. And then when that term expires, you return to bundling with FIOS, where because of your time away, you will yet again be seen a new subscriber, meaning another round of introductory discounts for 1-2 years. Then back to cable. Then back to FIOS. Then back to cable. Then back to FIOS. Rinse and repeat. Forever. You must do this because of the stupidity tax. Most have not heard of it, but it is there.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS

Making ones prices identical is 'collusion' isn't it? (also illegal) --Where firms agree on what price to charge. Also, the concept of 'whomever doesn't pay you, pays me' (and vise-versa) helps reinforce the collusion. I'd posted this before, but the DoJ should investigate the top 2-3 residential Internet providers' cost structures to ensure they're charging based on their costs plus a normal profit.

The top 2-3 ISPs are assuming an 'infinitely elastic' demand curve - fancy-talk for, "customers will buy the product regardless of its price". They might be right, for the most part, because only so many firms can supply hi-bandwidth internet, and if you want that product, you're going to be paying one of those 2-3 firms.

Gosh, this is almost sounding like Internet is as necessary as electricity. And most large utility companies are regulated monopolies. There's no downward pressure on prices; people will pay any price for this Internet necessity. Prices will float upward forever, unless something stops it....

Mr X

@58.218.185.x

Well, the solution is kind of obvious, isn't it? The last mile networks need to be either nationalized, or at the very least, regulated PUC style, the way copper is, such that an unlimited number of competitors can appear on your coax or fiber drop, and offer to sell you internet and telephone service.

And I know, that might sound like a horrifying proposal: taking private property away from private companies that have invested in its construction, or at least effectively forcing them to give others free access to it, with very similar results.

But think of it this way. Imagine that in this country, there had never been any such thing as public roads. From the moment you were born, every street you had ever walked or driven down was privately owned by various feudal lords charged you high tolls any time you traveled them, even going so far as to meter every one of your footsteps, and every revolution of your car's tires. You would be pretty outraged by that, I'd think. Most would. It would be an incredible drain on everyone. Virtually anything that moved would make a tiny handful of people money, to the penalty of all others.

And yet that's exactly what's happening on the unregulated fiber and coax last miles in America. Not because consumers have no choice but to use those roads. But because everyone who might want to become a competitor in home internet and telephone service delivery has no choice to use them. So if you want to start Batsona's Totally Awesome Internet Company, it turns out you already live in that imaginary universe where all the roads are privately owned and cost a fortune. Which is wrong. And not because the coax and fiber leading to people's homes is private property, but because the only coax and fiber leading to people's homes is private property. That's called monopoly. And in actuality, those monopoly lines are even worse than the toll roads in my imaginary example. Because unlike the toll trolls who measure your every footstep and tire revolution in my fictional analogy, the toll trolls guarding our coax and fiber last miles won't even let competitors set foot on their toll roads, for any price.

It's simply time for people to demand that their public utilities commissions begin applying the same regulations they've been enforcing for decades on copper to fiber and coax as well. And yeah, the companies running those last miles will raise hell and make every claim in the book for why it shouldn't happen. Such that consumers have multiple choices for making telephone calls and getting online today (cellular and wireless internet). However, consumers in the 1970s had multiple choices for communicating with others too -- everything from CB and ham radio to telegrams, the mails, and letter couriers. But those didn't outweigh the importance of access to competition on the grand daddy of them all, direct wireline. And so for the same reasons (such as that wireline internet is the only possible way to even get unbottlenecked internet for consumers), the same arguments won't hold water today.

Fios

@verizon.net

I'm on a Triple Play; 60/35 internet, National Calling, Prime TV(I believe). Standard set-top free for a year, HD DVR free for life, 2 year price lock guarantee. All for $84.99. I wonder what it will go up to in 2 years.

Mr X

@onda.com.br

Assuming that the 75/35 speed is what has become of your grandfathered 60/35 speed, then the true cost of the 75/35 + Prime + Digital Voice Unlimited bundle minus all the introductory discounts is $129.99 + $6.99 for the SD STB = $136.98/month. But that assumes:

(a) it won't be slightly less 2 years from now because of your grandfathered 60/35
(b) it won't be slightly more 2 years from now assuming your free HD DVR turns out to not include some kind of DVR service fee that will later appear
(c) it won't be appreciably more 2 years from now because of any price hikes between now and then

linflas

join:1999-08-18
Manassas, VA
reply to navyson

The main reason I am so hesitant to make any changes to my services are not the prices but the ridiculous billing that I can never make heads or tails of with the pro rating nonsense that seems to mean that I get 1 huge bill after a change before my normal bills resume. That said the last change I made was last March when my 12 month DVR credit was up. I managed to get that credit back for another year along with bumping my speed from 25/15 to 35/35 and changed the phone to digital voice. No 2 year contract, still month to month for 114.99 (128.00 with taxes etc) per month for:

FIOS HD Extreme with multi room HD DVR
FiOS Digital Voice - Unlimited Plan
FIOS 35/35 internet

fishacura

join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA
reply to navyson

Agreed it's gotten out of hand. It'd be one thing if I could say the value is still there, but it simply isn't. In other words, the service has not changed in-line with the price increases. I'm getting virtually the same product I was 2-3 years ago and paying substantially (I'd guess 15%+ more). That's my opinion. I used to say I would NEVER EVER go back to Comcast, but I'm seriously going to look at other options when this current contract runs out.
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to navyson

I recently downgraded from 150/65 with Ultimate to 75/35 with Extreme (both Triple Play with phone service) to reduce the monthly bill. With one multiroom DVR and one regular STB my monthly bill had gone north of $200.

Edit: this includes an a la carte HBO subscription.

With Triple Play, Verizon will only give me the 150/65 internet if I get the Ultimate TV package.

Are there any of you cord cutters out there getting some level of FIOS Quantum internet service without TV or phone? How much is Verizon charging you?
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
reply to navyson

The other thing Ive noticed now in the Jersey area is the intro $89.99 triple play pricing is only for PrimeHD,15/5mb along with voice. Last year the $89.99 was for ExtremeHD, 25/25mb and voice. The price difference between those two packages is like $30+ which means a 33% increase in less then a year for their new subscriber packages.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to navyson

Price comparisons are tough with so many plans and setups.

The triple bundle price with digital voice, extended HD and 25/25 Internet seems reasonable and I signed up for a year of HBO/Cinemax at half-price. It's the equipment charges plus taxes and fees that has bumped my price up to $147. That's still about $40 less than what I was paying DirecTV a year ago.

I considered switching to TWC to pick up the Pac-12 network college football games. Initial price was tempting but the monthly DVR/set-top box fees are even more outrageous than Verizon's. Besides I still have a year to go on my contract.

SoCalDude

join:2008-07-30
Ventura Co.
reply to navyson

I have to agree. I got 2 increases this year, first one after my new customer promo ended, and the 2nd just 2 months ago. I was okay with the first one since it's what to expect after a promo period. Second one kind of bugged me. Now there was a recent article here that said fios is going to increase even more! I'll probably switch to cable for a month or so until I can get a new customer promo from FIOS.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to SixOfNine

said by SixOfNine:

I recently downgraded from 150/65 with Ultimate to 75/35 with Extreme (both Triple Play with phone service) to reduce the monthly bill. With one multiroom DVR and one regular STB my monthly bill had gone north of $200.

With Triple Play, Verizon will only give me the 150/65 internet if I get the Ultimate TV package.

Are there any of you cord cutters out there getting some level of FIOS Quantum internet service without TV or phone? How much is Verizon charging you?

WOw, I have 150/65 Internet, Ultimate HD, Digital Voice, and unlimited 4G cellular all for $240 including taxes. And that is only because I upgraded from the 35/35 tier to the 150/65 tier. When I had the 35/35 tier my bill was $200 including taxes. Of course with their price hikes, at the end of my current contract in Summer 2014, my bill is supposed to go up another $30. At that point I will have to drop down to a lower tier and take a slower upload speed. The upload speed is the only reason I got the 150/65 tier. If they would have had a 65/65 tier I would have picked that instead. I'm hoping by 2014 they will have a symmetrical tier like that so I can switch to it to save some money.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by aaronwt:

said by SixOfNine:

WOw, I have 150/65 Internet, Ultimate HD, Digital Voice, and unlimited 4G cellular all for $240 including taxes. And that is only because I upgraded from the 35/35 tier to the 150/65 tier. When I had the 35/35 tier my bill was $200 including taxes. Of course with their price hikes, at the end of my current contract in Summer 2014, my bill is supposed to go up another $30. At that point I will have to drop down to a lower tier and take a slower upload speed. The upload speed is the only reason I got the 150/65 tier. If they would have had a 65/65 tier I would have picked that instead. I'm hoping by 2014 they will have a symmetrical tier like that so I can switch to it to save some money.

I think the only thing that will help us is better competition.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.