how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Fios

@verizon.net
reply to Mr X

Re: FIOS prices getting outrageous

I'm on a Triple Play; 60/35 internet, National Calling, Prime TV(I believe). Standard set-top free for a year, HD DVR free for life, 2 year price lock guarantee. All for $84.99. I wonder what it will go up to in 2 years.

Mr X

@onda.com.br

Assuming that the 75/35 speed is what has become of your grandfathered 60/35 speed, then the true cost of the 75/35 + Prime + Digital Voice Unlimited bundle minus all the introductory discounts is $129.99 + $6.99 for the SD STB = $136.98/month. But that assumes:

(a) it won't be slightly less 2 years from now because of your grandfathered 60/35
(b) it won't be slightly more 2 years from now assuming your free HD DVR turns out to not include some kind of DVR service fee that will later appear
(c) it won't be appreciably more 2 years from now because of any price hikes between now and then

linflas

join:1999-08-18
Manassas, VA
reply to navyson

The main reason I am so hesitant to make any changes to my services are not the prices but the ridiculous billing that I can never make heads or tails of with the pro rating nonsense that seems to mean that I get 1 huge bill after a change before my normal bills resume. That said the last change I made was last March when my 12 month DVR credit was up. I managed to get that credit back for another year along with bumping my speed from 25/15 to 35/35 and changed the phone to digital voice. No 2 year contract, still month to month for 114.99 (128.00 with taxes etc) per month for:

FIOS HD Extreme with multi room HD DVR
FiOS Digital Voice - Unlimited Plan
FIOS 35/35 internet

fishacura

join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA
reply to navyson

Agreed it's gotten out of hand. It'd be one thing if I could say the value is still there, but it simply isn't. In other words, the service has not changed in-line with the price increases. I'm getting virtually the same product I was 2-3 years ago and paying substantially (I'd guess 15%+ more). That's my opinion. I used to say I would NEVER EVER go back to Comcast, but I'm seriously going to look at other options when this current contract runs out.
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to navyson

I recently downgraded from 150/65 with Ultimate to 75/35 with Extreme (both Triple Play with phone service) to reduce the monthly bill. With one multiroom DVR and one regular STB my monthly bill had gone north of $200.

Edit: this includes an a la carte HBO subscription.

With Triple Play, Verizon will only give me the 150/65 internet if I get the Ultimate TV package.

Are there any of you cord cutters out there getting some level of FIOS Quantum internet service without TV or phone? How much is Verizon charging you?
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to navyson

The other thing Ive noticed now in the Jersey area is the intro $89.99 triple play pricing is only for PrimeHD,15/5mb along with voice. Last year the $89.99 was for ExtremeHD, 25/25mb and voice. The price difference between those two packages is like $30+ which means a 33% increase in less then a year for their new subscriber packages.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to navyson

Price comparisons are tough with so many plans and setups.

The triple bundle price with digital voice, extended HD and 25/25 Internet seems reasonable and I signed up for a year of HBO/Cinemax at half-price. It's the equipment charges plus taxes and fees that has bumped my price up to $147. That's still about $40 less than what I was paying DirecTV a year ago.

I considered switching to TWC to pick up the Pac-12 network college football games. Initial price was tempting but the monthly DVR/set-top box fees are even more outrageous than Verizon's. Besides I still have a year to go on my contract.

SoCalDude

join:2008-07-30
Ventura Co.
reply to navyson

I have to agree. I got 2 increases this year, first one after my new customer promo ended, and the 2nd just 2 months ago. I was okay with the first one since it's what to expect after a promo period. Second one kind of bugged me. Now there was a recent article here that said fios is going to increase even more! I'll probably switch to cable for a month or so until I can get a new customer promo from FIOS.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to SixOfNine

said by SixOfNine:

I recently downgraded from 150/65 with Ultimate to 75/35 with Extreme (both Triple Play with phone service) to reduce the monthly bill. With one multiroom DVR and one regular STB my monthly bill had gone north of $200.

With Triple Play, Verizon will only give me the 150/65 internet if I get the Ultimate TV package.

Are there any of you cord cutters out there getting some level of FIOS Quantum internet service without TV or phone? How much is Verizon charging you?

WOw, I have 150/65 Internet, Ultimate HD, Digital Voice, and unlimited 4G cellular all for $240 including taxes. And that is only because I upgraded from the 35/35 tier to the 150/65 tier. When I had the 35/35 tier my bill was $200 including taxes. Of course with their price hikes, at the end of my current contract in Summer 2014, my bill is supposed to go up another $30. At that point I will have to drop down to a lower tier and take a slower upload speed. The upload speed is the only reason I got the 150/65 tier. If they would have had a 65/65 tier I would have picked that instead. I'm hoping by 2014 they will have a symmetrical tier like that so I can switch to it to save some money.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by aaronwt:

said by SixOfNine:

WOw, I have 150/65 Internet, Ultimate HD, Digital Voice, and unlimited 4G cellular all for $240 including taxes. And that is only because I upgraded from the 35/35 tier to the 150/65 tier. When I had the 35/35 tier my bill was $200 including taxes. Of course with their price hikes, at the end of my current contract in Summer 2014, my bill is supposed to go up another $30. At that point I will have to drop down to a lower tier and take a slower upload speed. The upload speed is the only reason I got the 150/65 tier. If they would have had a 65/65 tier I would have picked that instead. I'm hoping by 2014 they will have a symmetrical tier like that so I can switch to it to save some money.

I think the only thing that will help us is better competition.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Expand your moderator at work

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mr X

Re: FIOS prices getting outrageous

Said by "Mr. X" earlier: The last mile networks need to be either nationalized, or at the very least, regulated PUC style, the way copper is, such that an unlimited number of competitors can appear on your coax or fiber drop, and offer to sell you internet and telephone service.

And I know, that might sound like a horrifying proposal: taking private property away from private companies that have invested in its construction, or at least effectively forcing them to give others free access to it, with very similar results.
This is exactly what happened with the last-mile copper; LECs were forced to make it available to any company who wanted to sell services over it. From a 'function' standpoint, there's no difference between the copper from the CO, to the CPE, and the Fiber between the same points. Also: in MD, you can pick -n- choose who you use as your Utility Provider, and the same gas pipes & electric lines are used to deliver your utilities. Same idea.

marhil0

join:2008-10-21
Exton, PA
reply to navyson

I just got a notice my 2 yr agreement is ending in 29 days. I currently have the double bundle: Ultimate and 35/35 Internet for $114.99 per month. I went into my account page to check the renewal price and was SHOCKED ! My bundle will increase to $134.99 per month, a $20 a month increase plus now they are going to charge me $17+ for (3) of the crappy digital adapters which I have been receiving for free. I originally got the 3 digital adapters when the analog to digital conversion went into effect a few years ago and have been grandfathered (free) into my account. So now my month bill will be going up 33% from $114.95 to $151.99 a month. For this 33% increase I get a small Internet speed bump download from 35 to 50 meg and my upload goes down by 10 meg. I did an online chat and the rep said that was the best deal they could give me. I love FiOS but this is a deal breaker. It pains me but I'll probably have to go back to Comcrap.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

When I renewed recently, the free digital adapters remained so. I believe they showed up correctly when I went through the online upgrade. There's not much you can do about the $20 increase, but you can hold the line on the $17 for the DTAs. You'll need to call to clear the confusion, but you'll need to upgrade through the online process to get the best price.

You gotta wonder why VZ makes it hard on themselves by frustrating their customers.

Can you say many-headed Hydra?

jimboe

join:2000-08-14
New York
reply to marhil0

said by marhil0:

I just got a notice my 2 yr agreement is ending in 29 days. I currently have the double bundle: Ultimate and 35/35 Internet for $114.99 per month. I went into my account page to check the renewal price and was SHOCKED ! My bundle will increase to $134.99 per month, a $20 a month increase plus ...

I have the same pkg (and price) as you (minus the DTA's) here in NYC, and still have a few months left..

I found the same price increases as you did. Just note that some ppl report fluff on the upload side of the 50/25 pkg, to the vicinity of about 35mbps, with the down hitting over 60.. so that's a decent speed bump.

THAT SAID, I may just not do anything after my time is up, and see if I can stay grandfathered in at 35/35. My bill will go up $5 as the last promo falls off, but hopefully none of the services themselvesw will go up in price.

That would not be so bad.

davidplatt

join:2003-02-13
Herndon, VA
reply to navyson

If you think FiOS is outrageous, try Cox in Fairfax County.

Cox - Triple Play bundle - Advanced TV Premier, HBO/SHO/Starz, Whole home DVR, HD Receiver, Cable Card, 25/3 internet, telephone (local and domestic long distance) - $190 a month PLUS Taxes and Fees for 12 months, $258 a month PLUS Taxes and Fees after 12 months.

Currently I have DirecTV Choice Plus with HBO/SHO/Starz, 4 outlets (all DVRs, only $6 a month for DVRs 2,3 and 4), Whole Home DVR Service, HD and HD Xtra for $156 a month, FiOS 30/5 for $55 and Vonage for $36 per month - total of $247 so it's cheaper than Cox will be with better internet.

I am having the FiOS Triple Play installed next week - Ultimate HD TV with HBO and the movie completer pack, 35/35 internet and Freedom Essentials, Multi Room DVR, HD STD and a Cable Card. Multi Room DVR and HD STB are free for 18 months. $137 per month plus taxes for a total of $158 per month.

FiOS is still cheaper than Cable or DirecTV. If at the end of the 2 years FiOS wants to raise the prices to an absurd level I'll switch back to what I currently have and get all of the "new customer" perks again.

I've been with DirecTV for over 15 years but the prices have gotten out of hand and I hate it when it rains - I'm tired of the outages.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to marhil0

said by marhil0:

I just got a notice my 2 yr agreement is ending in 29 days. I currently have the double bundle: Ultimate and 35/35 Internet for $114.99 per month. I went into my account page to check the renewal price and was SHOCKED ! My bundle will increase to $134.99 per month, a $20 a month increase plus now they are going to charge me $17+ for (3) of the crappy digital adapters which I have been receiving for free. I originally got the 3 digital adapters when the analog to digital conversion went into effect a few years ago and have been grandfathered (free) into my account. So now my month bill will be going up 33% from $114.95 to $151.99 a month. For this 33% increase I get a small Internet speed bump download from 35 to 50 meg and my upload goes down by 10 meg. I did an online chat and the rep said that was the best deal they could give me. I love FiOS but this is a deal breaker. It pains me but I'll probably have to go back to Comcrap.

FWIW, it's only going up that much because the $20/mo discount you were receiving will expire.

I would say do nothing and wait for your agreement to expire. A week after it expires, check back and see if there are any new deals available. Chances are there will be. Not as good as your current deal, but still adequate. You will still wind up paying more than you are now, but the increase will not be quite as drastic.

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to navyson

Do what I did. I bitched and moaned about the high prices until the rep gave me a $15 credit for one year.

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to navyson

With Verizon stating that there will be further prices increases later on this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they start charging a monthly fee for the router. Most cable companies now are charging a monthly fee for their modems.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by navyson:

With Verizon stating that there will be further prices increases later on this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they start charging a monthly fee for the router. Most cable companies now are charging a monthly fee for their modems.

Then that will be the push I need to give them back their routers. I have four of them gathering dust in my closet. You can get much better routers than what FiOS uses.

When I got the 150/65 tier they gave me a RevI and I tried to give the other routers back to the tech but he wouldn't take them. He said I needed to go to the local FiOS store. But I have no compelling reason to go and stand in line there just to return the routers. But if they start charging a rental fee, I will be there right away turning them in.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA

said by aaronwt:

Then that will be the push I need to give them back their routers. I have four of them gathering dust in my closet. You can get much better routers than what FiOS uses.

I'm not a network expert and always wondered about this. Can I just pick up any old router to replace my actiontec and go to 192.168.1.1 and plug-n-play? Is it pretty much that easy or fairly involved?
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

said by fishacura:

said by aaronwt:

I'm not a network expert and always wondered about this. Can I just pick up any old router to replace my actiontec and go to 192.168.1.1 and plug-n-play? Is it pretty much that easy or fairly involved?

if you are provisioned via ethernet yes, otherwise you need a coax MOCA capable router.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
Warwick, RI

said by danclan:

said by fishacura:

Can I just pick up any old router to replace my actiontec and go to 192.168.1.1 and plug-n-play?

if you are provisioned via ethernet yes, otherwise you need a coax MOCA capable router.

That's for the WAN side. Also, if you have TV service and use a VZ-provided STB or DVR, you'll need MoCA for the LAN side.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to navyson

Sorry yes I have all Verizon...I have coax running to my router and ethernet running out of the router to the main home computer. So I need a coax MOCA capable router it sounds like. Any specific recommendations on ones you KNOW will work with FIOS?
--

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

fishacura See Profile, you've been around here long enough to know to read the FAQs.
Start here.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I replace my MoCA-connected Actiontec router and still get VOD

As for router recommendations, »smallnetbuilder.com is a good resource.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to navyson

First, thanks for responding. I am fairly savy with PCs (actually I have built my own for years) but when it comes to networking I just struggle.

I have a home media DVR and this would indicate I cannot replace the actiontec based on what I'm reading. Not sure if that's true or not but that's what it seems to indicate. Perhaps I can just buy the same model actiontec??
--

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
Warwick, RI

When asking for router and config advise, it's best to identify why you want something different. Consider speeds, number of devices connected, distance and performance.

Then you need to state your environment. Coax vs. ethernet from ONT, if wiring exists or not, any services you deem important (like caller id or remote dvr service), and existing network equipment including Actiontec revision level.

You need the Actiontec for the DVR, but it's possible to put another router as primary with the Actiontec as secondary. Or you may choose to connect another router as secondary off the Actiontec primary. Or (more complicated) you may choose to bridge the Actiontec to another router making it primary, and feed the Actiontec as secondary.

Or you may be best off just updating to the current Rev.I Actiontec.

celticpride

@verizon.net

if it was just my wife and i living at home i wouldn't need the internet i would just have directv but my kids live with us and they need the internet, i wouldnt even want the home phone and would only keep the cell phone for emergencys. currently paying $345.00 a month for all 4 services

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30
reply to fishacura

said by fishacura:

I have a home media DVR and this would indicate I cannot replace the actiontec based on what I'm reading.

Don't know what you're reading, but that's not the case.

Lots of options with various trade-offs list here:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
said by fishacura:

Perhaps I can just buy the same model actiontec??

What would that accomplish?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

jrudol

join:2001-01-23
Pipersville, PA
reply to SixOfNine

I cut the cord a month ago and upgraded to 75/35