uniqs
share rss forum feed

fishacura

join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA
reply to aaronwt

Re: FIOS prices getting outrageous

said by aaronwt:

Then that will be the push I need to give them back their routers. I have four of them gathering dust in my closet. You can get much better routers than what FiOS uses.

I'm not a network expert and always wondered about this. Can I just pick up any old router to replace my actiontec and go to 192.168.1.1 and plug-n-play? Is it pretty much that easy or fairly involved?
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

said by fishacura:

said by aaronwt:

Then that will be the push I need to give them back their routers. I have four of them gathering dust in my closet. You can get much better routers than what FiOS uses.

I'm not a network expert and always wondered about this. Can I just pick up any old router to replace my actiontec and go to 192.168.1.1 and plug-n-play? Is it pretty much that easy or fairly involved?

if you are provisioned via ethernet yes, otherwise you need a coax MOCA capable router.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by danclan:

said by fishacura:

Can I just pick up any old router to replace my actiontec and go to 192.168.1.1 and plug-n-play?

if you are provisioned via ethernet yes, otherwise you need a coax MOCA capable router.

That's for the WAN side. Also, if you have TV service and use a VZ-provided STB or DVR, you'll need MoCA for the LAN side.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to navyson

Sorry yes I have all Verizon...I have coax running to my router and ethernet running out of the router to the main home computer. So I need a coax MOCA capable router it sounds like. Any specific recommendations on ones you KNOW will work with FIOS?
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

fishacura See Profile, you've been around here long enough to know to read the FAQs.
Start here.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I replace my MoCA-connected Actiontec router and still get VOD

As for router recommendations, »smallnetbuilder.com is a good resource.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to navyson

First, thanks for responding. I am fairly savy with PCs (actually I have built my own for years) but when it comes to networking I just struggle.

I have a home media DVR and this would indicate I cannot replace the actiontec based on what I'm reading. Not sure if that's true or not but that's what it seems to indicate. Perhaps I can just buy the same model actiontec??
--

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

When asking for router and config advise, it's best to identify why you want something different. Consider speeds, number of devices connected, distance and performance.

Then you need to state your environment. Coax vs. ethernet from ONT, if wiring exists or not, any services you deem important (like caller id or remote dvr service), and existing network equipment including Actiontec revision level.

You need the Actiontec for the DVR, but it's possible to put another router as primary with the Actiontec as secondary. Or you may choose to connect another router as secondary off the Actiontec primary. Or (more complicated) you may choose to bridge the Actiontec to another router making it primary, and feed the Actiontec as secondary.

Or you may be best off just updating to the current Rev.I Actiontec.

celticpride

@verizon.net

if it was just my wife and i living at home i wouldn't need the internet i would just have directv but my kids live with us and they need the internet, i wouldnt even want the home phone and would only keep the cell phone for emergencys. currently paying $345.00 a month for all 4 services

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30
reply to fishacura

said by fishacura:

I have a home media DVR and this would indicate I cannot replace the actiontec based on what I'm reading.

Don't know what you're reading, but that's not the case.

Lots of options with various trade-offs list here:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
said by fishacura:

Perhaps I can just buy the same model actiontec??

What would that accomplish?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

jrudol

join:2001-01-23
Pipersville, PA
reply to SixOfNine

I cut the cord a month ago and upgraded to 75/35

dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to navyson

I have Extreme HD and 50/25 Internet and I will be paying about $115 after the STB fee and taxes.

I agree it is expensive, but until someone stops the collusion and people decide not to pay it will continue to go up.

I have had Fios for 6 days and I have had a tech here 3 times to fix the installer's screw-ups. I still have pixelation on VoD and some regular channels. The install was on Tues. 10/2 and I had a tech here everyday until Sat.

I seriously thought about going back to comcast, but I can't stand comcast. At least with Fios there are no broadband caps and the speeds are better on Fios. Comparing Fios and Comcast's 50Mbps service Fios has better upload. Fios 50/25 Comcast 50/10.

So I get everyone being upset at the prices but to some extent at least for me I am getting better service, not counting my installation issues, which incl. being mouthed off to by a tech who refused to wipe his feet before coming to my apartment.