Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Not sure if necessary...

I'm a heavy FIOS user(40-50TB/month) and if caps were introduced at some point in the future I would have to cut my usage heavily and consequently switch to a cheaper Time Warner plan. Paying a premium(especially after the recent set of rate hikes) is getting less and less justifiable. Based on the FIOS network design would caps ever be necessary? or has their market share become that great?

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

Look, I hate caps as much as anyone, but what on earth could you be doing to use 40-50 TB's in a month?

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL

He's obviously torrenting Linux ISOs. HD 1080P "Linux ISOs".

Seriously though, how the fuck do you use 50TB of bandwidth on a FiOS line? I doubt he has a RAID array that large, and the upload speed is too low to be the cause.

serge87

All legal, volunteer-based distributed web crawling.

serge87

reply to Os

see above

JTR

Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

reply to serge87

First of all, people like you are the reason companies institute caps in the first place.

Secondly, either there's two people using FiOS for web crawling out there, or you're the guy I talked to on reddit at some point in the last month or two.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by JTR:

First of all, people like you are the reason companies institute caps in the first place.

Secondly, either there's two people using FiOS for web crawling out there, or you're the guy I talked to on reddit at some point in the last month or two.

I myself and a few others I know on FIOS use it for web crawling. Before I got my 150mb Business line I called Verizon and asked if it would be a problem to max out my connection 24/7. The agent said there would be no problem and to "bring it on" in his words. If I pay $209/month you bet I'm going to get my money's worth Now if I was hogging a cable connection and slowing my neighborhood to a crawl then I wouldn't continue this hobby. However, Verizon's fiber network can more than handle the traffic.

JTR

Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by serge87:

said by JTR:

I myself and a few others I know on FIOS use it for web crawling. Before I got my 150mb Business line I called Verizon and asked if it would be a problem to max out my connection 24/7. The agent said there would be no problem and to "bring it on" in his words. If I pay $209/month you bet I'm going to get my money's worth Now if I was hogging a cable connection and slowing my neighborhood to a crawl then I wouldn't continue this hobby. However, Verizon's fiber network can more than handle the traffic.

A business line? Ignore everything I said, I take it all back. I thought you were using that much traffic on a residential line.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by JTR:

A business line? Ignore everything I said, I take it all back. I thought you were using that much traffic on a residential line.

Why would it make a difference? Before my 150mb business line I was on 50/25 residential with the same amount of usage. The TOS are still almost identical in regards to bandwidth usage. I am planning on switching to residential 150mb if the business side doesn't see the Quantum price adjustments soon.

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL
reply to serge87

Even paying business FIOS prices - 40-50TB/month??? Jeez. I'm sure glad you're not in my area or I'd be ticked, don't care if you are on a business line, you're still using the same backbone as everybody else. I thought someone who posted they used 4-6tb average each month was high. Verizon is definitely losing money on your bandwidth.

tanzam75

join:2012-07-19

50 TB per month = 19 MB/s = 150 Mbps of continual traffic.

This much bandwidth on a dedicated line would normally cost over $2000 per month. And the companies that buy that much bandwidth don't usually max it out.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to kevnich24

said by kevnich24:

Even paying business FIOS prices - 40-50TB/month??? Jeez. I'm sure glad you're not in my area or I'd be ticked, don't care if you are on a business line, you're still using the same backbone as everybody else. I thought someone who posted they used 4-6tb average each month was high. Verizon is definitely losing money on your bandwidth.

FALSE.

It costs large ISPs like Verizon pennies to transfer a gig of data. In my case it would cost Verizon between $10-50 to transfer my ones and zeros, compared to the $209 I pay them per month. I also live in an area with mostly elderly neighbors so unless they all got the 75Mbps plans, they won't notice a thing. The GPON backbone on FIOS is 2.4 Gbps, roughly 75Mbps if shared equally for all 32 users on the backbone. All 32 users will not be maxing out their connection simultaneously, so be relieved my friend, the end is not near