uniqs
share rss forum feed

tired

join:2010-12-12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS

Shaw Unlimited 100

Is it just me, or did the price just go up to $190 a month? I thought it was only $120 or $130?

So if I download 500 GB it will cost me $80 a month, if I go between 501 GB and 750 GB it will cost me $90 a month, and if I hit 751 GB it will cost me $190 a month...

Seriously?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

I'm seeing,

BB100 $80 with 500GB
+$10 for 750GB
+$10 more for unlmited?
Looks like a price of $100
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada
kudos:1
reply to tired

It did.
In their original marketing hooplah both 100/unlimited and 250/unlimited were said to be a $120 addon to basic cable (which I assume would mean $130 standalone, but I don't remember seeing that specified)

I'm not sure, maybe Shawsean can comment, but I don't think you pay the bumped up rate for the whole month when you go over... I think it's just for the portion of the month that you're over.

Still, pretty shady if you ask me. They defused a lot of of the public outrage over UBB by offering somewhat reasonable unlimited plans. To see they turned around and jacked the price up 50% after the uproar died down is very disappointing.

$120 for unlimited usage is a lot, but it's still within the realm of reason, and I would have gladly paid it.
$190 is obscene

Ommina

join:2006-08-28
reply to tired

I'm seeing the same thing as tired See Profile. $190 a month for BB100 Unlimited, after $80.00 for BB100 and $90.00 for BB100 with 750GB.

Curiously, though, it is also showing as $190 a month for BB250 Unlimited. Which seems a bit... odd.

rotohoto

canada

That is strange, but that's consistent with what they originally claimed.
Phase 1 unlimited 100 was the same price as Phase 2 unlimited 250... don't ask me why.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to tired

Nevermind, I see it now,

»shaw.ca/Internet/Compare-Plans/

I was looking at the compare chart, which indicates $100

When looking at
»shaw.ca/Internet/Broadband-100/

Shows $190

Ouch!

Unlmited 250 is $190 as well now.
It was $130 a few days ago when I looked for my brother.
--

GWSurvey

join:2012-06-05
Vancouver, BC

1 edit
reply to tired

I heard that existing people on the package will be granfathered at the $130 rate unlimited.

Any new people that sign up for an unlimited package pay $190. Damn...

Apparently they are raising it for the amount of traffic the unlimited plans have been generating, to recoup transit costs and infrastructre upgrades to BB250

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

Which might be plausable, except that 250 unlimited is the same price, which would generate 2.5x as much traffic.
--

tired

join:2010-12-12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS
reply to tired

It makes some sense to bump the price if they didn't realize how many people would actually use their connections when they signed up for Unlimited... But now that the gap is $100 they really need to put a few more options between 750gb and THE WHOLE F-ING INTERNET!!!!!

Ex. $80 for 500GB, $90 for 750GB, 100 for 1TB, 110 for 1.25TB.. etc.

ErikRP

join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to kevinds

My understanding is that 250 is only offered where Shaw has made the switch to 100% digital, so in theory they can offer 250 speeds since they now have the capacity to deal with it.

Pricing 250 the same as 100 was what Shaw originally promised. In fact IIRC they said that people would be bumped from 100 to 250 more or less automatically. My guess though is that people will have to ask to be upgraded.

spectrum

join:2011-01-14
reply to tired

ShawSean,

Can you comment on this at all?
A $70 bump is a huge price increase, and as tired mentioned above, the $100 gap between 750GB and slightly over 750GB is unreasonable at best - are there any plans to introduce new levels?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to tired

Did anybody currently on the unlimited plans, get an advance warning/notification of the price increase?
--

Gotspeed

join:2011-12-30
reply to spectrum

said by spectrum:

ShawSean,

Can you comment on this at all?
A $70 bump is a huge price increase, and as tired mentioned above, the $100 gap between 750GB and slightly over 750GB is unreasonable at best - are there any plans to introduce new levels?

I don't think Shaw will touch this thread anytime soon. Pretty hard to explain the increase when it cost roughly $.01 a gig for transfer costs.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

Sure it does.

Gotspeed

said by ravenchilde:

Sure it does.

We already went through this BS with Shaw wanting to charge for overuse at $2.00 per gig, the price justification wasn't proper then, what makes you think it will be now?

Unlimited with the old plan: $110.00 basic plus ($20.00) or 18.2%
Unlimited with the new plan: $110.00 basic plus ($80.00) or 72.7% an a additional 54.5% increase

54.5% increase overnight for an extra on any product is absurd.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12

Let me take this away and work towards getting you guys some additional information.

Cheers
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to tired

Ouch thats dirty. But still a very fair price.

EDIT:

Im guessing alot of people are using the unmetered packages and they need to increase cost to keep a decent profit on it.

Im cool with it. 4tb in a month with no complaints AWESOME!!

spectrum

I think the issue at hand here is, while $190/month may be a fair price for unlimited traffic (which I'd say it is), the huge gap now between say BB100+ (750GB) and BB100 Unlimited (~30TB technically based on 100Mbps rate), which most people who would have been comfortable with paying $130 for more than 750GB monthly traffic, would no longer be willing to pay an extra $60/month on top of that for their additional traffic needs.

It almost seems like Shaw should have added a higher than 750GB tier at $130 (1.5TB?) and then made the unlimited/$190 a new tier.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

Even 1.5 TB to 32 TB (downstream only around 35 TB with upload included, assuming maxed), is a big jump.

750 GB 5 TB, 10 TB, 20TB and then unlimited maybe?

Also, it has to be cheaper just to pay for unlimited, than on the amount of traffic used, paying for Unlmited at the start of the month, has to be (for business/accounting (practical consumer comparisons) purposes only), cheaper than getting unlimited going through tiers with usage.
--

spectrum

I was just looking at it from a practical perspective, that people who were previously on the $130/month BB100 'unlimited' tier have effectively one of two options, either move down to the $90/month BB100+ tier, and deal with the 750GB limitation, or spend the extra $60 and get unlimited (or in the current case anything above 750GB.) I don't think either of those options are a reasonable solution for someone who might be using more than 750GB of traffic, but don't necessarily generate massive amounts of traffic. 1-2TB/month seems to be a fairly common number amongst 'higher traffic' users, so that's what I was aiming at.

Taking this into account and examining the cost difference between BB100 and BB100+ ($10,) with the 250GB difference between those it works out to $0.04/GB - a reasonable number. Extrapolating that to $130 gives you 1750GB (I thought it was 1.5TB, but I made a small error in the calculation there), so that seems like a reasonable expectation to have for that price point.

Now, I don't think Shaw actually means 'Unlimited' - as they never really have. So when you're paying for the BB100/BB250 'Unlimited' tier, I don't think they would take too kindly to people actually transferring 30TB+/month, and I believe they would likely fall back on to their AUP claiming that this kind of traffic is burdensome to their network (weasly legalese, but seems to be pretty standard amongst the industry.)

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

Last time I looked at the TOS, unlimited actually said unlimited.

I was also thinking, if they are using UBB at reasonable rates, Shaw might be faster acting with keeping congestion down, because they would be charging more, for more traffic flowing.

spectrum

»www.shaw.ca/Terms-of-Use/#section4

Shaw reserves the right to set specific limits for Bandwidth Usage and charge for excessive Bandwidth Usage for residential Services at any time. In addition, you must ensure that your activities do not improperly restrict, disrupt, inhibit, degrade or impede Shaw's ability to deliver the Services and monitor the Services, backbone, network nodes and/or other network services.

Pretty generic/blanket statement there, no exceptions given to unlimited tiers.

Gotspeed

1 edit

To me this looks like Shaw is trying to milk their clients another way other then the UBB fiasco when they lowered their tiers allowable usage then billing for overuse saying "this will only affect 1% of our client base etc"

Now that some have moved on and some have forgotten, up goes the price, when again transferring cost goes down globally and usage needs go up, theirs Shaw to nickle and dime you...or more like dollars and your first Born.

Have we forgot? »Shaw charging for extra bandwidth.....

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to spectrum

Also in Section 4,

The guidelines for Bandwidth Usage/month for each service package are the following:
Broadband 100, 500 gigabytes; Broadband 100+, 750 gigabytes; Unlimited Lite, unlimited data; Unlimited Express, unlimited data; Unlimited 100, unlimited data

I found this odd too dhcp servers - I don't have any real data, but would you estimate at least 50% of customers have a DHCP server?
--

spectrum

But the point is, the essential dismissal of those 'guidelines' in the part I quoted that follows the part you quoted, essentially makes the usage numbers subject to Shaw's sole discretion of something that may '...restrict, disrupt, inhibit, degrade or impede Shaw's ability to deliver the Services...'.

So basically I interpret this as "Unlimited is unlimited, unless we say you're impacting our network, then it isn't."

Also, I'd be very surprised if Shaw allowed DHCP traffic originating from the user's network/modem.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

No, the DHCP traffic appears to be blocked at the modem level. I tried/tested this when I was running both residental and business service at my house. But the customer is still running a DHCP server, and against the TOS.

We can imply that it means externally from our LAN, but the way I read it, as running a server which may be...

I intrepreted it as, more transfer then what is stated in the TOS, impacts the network.

Isn't this along the lines of two laws that contridict each other, except this time, they are in the same paragraph... Not that this really matters.

Can anybody who has been on 100 or 250 unlimited, comment if they were notified of this price increase?
--

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

said by kevinds:

Can anybody who has been on 100 or 250 unlimited, comment if they were notified of this price increase?

Havent seen an increase on my bill

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

That is interesting then.

Have to see what Sean comes back with then.

rotohoto

canada

I'd assume that we won't see anyone get a price increase until:
1. Upgrades are finished and all areas are 250mbps capable
2. The bump up program comes in to effect (March 2013 now?)

But... you know what they say happens when you assume...

Also, if I was a betting man, I'd say the delay of the bumpup program is directly related to the delays in getting the 250mbps upgrades done. Originally they said all areas would be done by Aug 2012, now there's no timetable that they're making public.

GWSurvey

join:2012-06-05
Vancouver, BC
reply to kevinds

As i said before, the price increase is only for new customers. Any existing customers already on bb100/250 get granfathered.

This was told to me by a source. I am sure shawsean can confirm.