kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to spectrum70

Premium Member

to spectrum70

Re: Shaw Unlimited 100

Last time I looked at the TOS, unlimited actually said unlimited.

I was also thinking, if they are using UBB at reasonable rates, Shaw might be faster acting with keeping congestion down, because they would be charging more, for more traffic flowing.
spectrum70
join:2011-01-14

spectrum70

»www.shaw.ca/Terms-of-Use ··· section4

Shaw reserves the right to set specific limits for Bandwidth Usage and charge for excessive Bandwidth Usage for residential Services at any time. In addition, you must ensure that your activities do not improperly restrict, disrupt, inhibit, degrade or impede Shaw's ability to deliver the Services and monitor the Services, backbone, network nodes and/or other network services.

Pretty generic/blanket statement there, no exceptions given to unlimited tiers.
Gotspeed
join:2011-12-30

1 edit

Gotspeed

To me this looks like Shaw is trying to milk their clients another way other then the UBB fiasco when they lowered their tiers allowable usage then billing for overuse saying "this will only affect 1% of our client base etc"

Now that some have moved on and some have forgotten, up goes the price, when again transferring cost goes down globally and usage needs go up, theirs Shaw to nickle and dime you...or more like dollars and your first Born.

Have we forgot? »Shaw charging for extra bandwidth.....

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to spectrum70

Premium Member

to spectrum70
Also in Section 4,

The guidelines for Bandwidth Usage/month for each service package are the following:
Broadband 100, 500 gigabytes; Broadband 100+, 750 gigabytes; Unlimited Lite, unlimited data; Unlimited Express, unlimited data; Unlimited 100, unlimited data

I found this odd too dhcp servers - I don't have any real data, but would you estimate at least 50% of customers have a DHCP server?
spectrum70
join:2011-01-14

spectrum70

But the point is, the essential dismissal of those 'guidelines' in the part I quoted that follows the part you quoted, essentially makes the usage numbers subject to Shaw's sole discretion of something that may '...restrict, disrupt, inhibit, degrade or impede Shaw's ability to deliver the Services...'.

So basically I interpret this as "Unlimited is unlimited, unless we say you're impacting our network, then it isn't."

Also, I'd be very surprised if Shaw allowed DHCP traffic originating from the user's network/modem.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

No, the DHCP traffic appears to be blocked at the modem level. I tried/tested this when I was running both residental and business service at my house. But the customer is still running a DHCP server, and against the TOS.

We can imply that it means externally from our LAN, but the way I read it, as running a server which may be...

I intrepreted it as, more transfer then what is stated in the TOS, impacts the network.

Isn't this along the lines of two laws that contridict each other, except this time, they are in the same paragraph... Not that this really matters.

Can anybody who has been on 100 or 250 unlimited, comment if they were notified of this price increase?
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by kevinds:

Can anybody who has been on 100 or 250 unlimited, comment if they were notified of this price increase?

Havent seen an increase on my bill

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

That is interesting then.

Have to see what Sean comes back with then.
rotohoto
join:2012-03-31
canada

rotohoto

I'd assume that we won't see anyone get a price increase until:
1. Upgrades are finished and all areas are 250mbps capable
2. The bump up program comes in to effect (March 2013 now?)

But... you know what they say happens when you assume...

Also, if I was a betting man, I'd say the delay of the bumpup program is directly related to the delays in getting the 250mbps upgrades done. Originally they said all areas would be done by Aug 2012, now there's no timetable that they're making public.
GWSurvey
join:2012-06-05
Vancouver, BC

GWSurvey to kevinds

to kevinds
As i said before, the price increase is only for new customers. Any existing customers already on bb100/250 get granfathered.

This was told to me by a source. I am sure shawsean can confirm.
tired
join:2010-12-12

tired

But if we're grandfathered on Unlimited 100, what happens when our areas are finally upgraded and we want to change our accounts to Unlimited 250?
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to kevinds

to kevinds
said by kevinds:

We can imply that it means externally from our LAN, but the way I read it, as running a server which may be...

You actually cannot OFFER services on the Shaw network is what the ToS is actually saying. You can operate whatever services you want on your internal network. Nobody will care. You cannot offer services to the Shaw network however.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Hey guys,

Hopefully I’m able to shed a bit more light on the subject.

Since launching our new broadband packaging back in May 2011, we’ve been better able to determine what makes sense for the business, while also providing customers with value in terms of data and speed allotment. This change was specific to pricing unlimited data – while the internet product is a function of both data and speed, they really represent two value equations.

As for the bump up program, this is still in the works. We don’t have any additional information on this as it’s just too early to tell. Once I’m given more direction, we’ll be able to address your questions on monthly overages.

Cheers
rotohoto
join:2012-03-31
canada

rotohoto

I don't think there was any confusion over which plan this impacts. I'd assume most people here realize this is about the 100/250 unlimited tiers.
I think it's safe to say the frustration stems from the fact that when these plans were announced, exceeding your plan limit, even going to the point of getting bumped up to unlimited was a fairly reasonable dollar amount.
This reasonable amount calmed a lot of the people that were up in arms about Shaw's UBB plans that never actually came to pass.

Now that we're getting closer to being able to get these higher packages, the cost from going over your allotment and being put on "unlimited" is massive.
The significant price increase combined with no options in between is what's putting people off.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

Sean's point seems to be that since the bump up program hasn't been initiated yet, and we don't know what it looks like, we don't have the data required to have a logical discussion about it.

I'm sure your feelings about the current information will be noticed.

FastestNOVUS
@datafoundry.com

FastestNOVUS

Anon

said by ravenchilde:

Sean's point seems to be that since the bump up program hasn't been initiated yet, and we don't know what it looks like, we don't have the data required to have a logical discussion about it.

I'm sure your feelings about the current information will be noticed.

Yes the bump up program isn't initiated yet, but it has been implied and insisted in these forums by members, it should be fair and on par with global offerings, Shaw's intentions is not fair by any means, nor on par with ANY other ISP globally.
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen to tired

to tired
Looks like Bump up has been delayed yet again. Looking at the bottom of the page
»shaw.ca/Internet/Broadband-50/
It says:
"The Bump-Up Program is coming soon in 2013."
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Wow, so going over 750 GB is going to cost me $200 a month?

Right now I'm hitting 750 - 1 TB a month, in the odd month, on broadband 50. 300-400 GB most months.. And thats with only downloading a couple shows a day, and some Hd movies. Nothing time sensitive. So $190 a month every odd month? No thanks.

Looks like Teksavvys 25 MB / $45 a month unlimited plan is where I'll be going.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to tired

to tired
Maybe they could increase the bandwidth for existing packages.

I always thought the 100gb diff between bb50 and bb100 was small. Maybe bump bb50 to 500gb, bb100 to 750gb, 1tb, and unlimited packages?

My usuage seems to fall between 400gb and 750gb a month. My highest month was 778. That would of been a real expensive month....

Maybe they could make some more bb50 tiers? I find bb50 to be pretty fast, and even though I blow through the cap, my connection is idle more than 90% of the time (at least it feels like it). I don't always need the faster speeds, more usage works better.

It would probably help if Telus came out with something new and competitive. While they don't enforce their caps they've stalled out at the 25mbps tier of internet (which isn't even rolled out in all city areas, including mine ). If it did get expensive for usage on shaw again, I could probably make do with telus' 25mbps package (its still really easy to do 700gb on 25mbps package).

My conclusion is that I agree with the posts above. That could be a huge bump up fee after you hit 750gb. I don't really want to worry about my usage, but I would if there was a barrier like that.

Shaw2slow
@datafoundry.com

Shaw2slow to tired

Anon

to tired
Im afraid to see what Shaw would charge for a 1000mbps/1000mbps unlimited line speed based on their current pricing model. Im guessing a bargain price of over 1000.00 per month. We love to pay more it seems.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I've seen pricing for 1000/1000 from a few of the big companies... They are all fairly close in pricing.

ChatISP
@shawcable.net

ChatISP

Anon

Must be nice to have somewhat fair ISP, Chattanooga EPB 250mbps/250mbps for $139.99
What would this be with shaw..$400.00? comments Shaw?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

In Vancouver,

25/25 $75
50/50 $141
100/100 $241
300/300 $339

Small market, small company, no responce really needed.

ChatISP
@datafoundry.com

ChatISP

Anon

said by kevinds:

In Vancouver,

25/25 $75
50/50 $141
100/100 $241
300/300 $339

Small market, small company, no responce really needed.

There's no logic with your statement. Chattanooga is smaller then Shaw's, so less clients or revenue with high overhead implementing the network. If anything Shaw's Rate per customer on any tier should be a lot lower.
ChatISP

ChatISP to kevinds

Anon

to kevinds
ahh ic, your speaking novus, which your comment now makes sense to a point, Novus should also be dropping their price per tier.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

2 edits

kevinds

Premium Member

300/15 is $103 but not symmetrical...

While Shaw competes with Novus, the size Novus is (footprint and number of customers), I don't think Shaw sees them as much of a threat.

And the same could be said for Google Fiber internet.
borntukill
join:2009-10-06

borntukill

I just got BB100, was told by shaw tech i can only go around 65mbps on my own dual band wireless, i hit around 100mbps on wired. i didnt get their wifi because usually shaw's routers are crap. Can you guys get higher speed using shaw's wifi modem, or am i sol?
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to tired

to tired
any chance of Broadband 100 unlimited coming down in price to something affordable?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to borntukill

Premium Member

to borntukill
What type of wireless are you using? ABGN? or ABG?
Shaw's is N in the 2.4 GHz range, with a maximum physical connection at 300mbps, the actual throughput will be much lower, as with all wireless connections.

BB250
@shawcable.net

BB250 to tired

Anon

to tired
I am doing 1.7 to 3TB per month since March on residential BB250. Never even been called once...

I would just use a lower tier and see if they bug you TBH while saving money...