Search similar:

uniqs
borntukill
join:2009-10-06

1 edit

borntukill to kevinds

to kevinds

Re: Shaw Unlimited 100

im using dlink d655 mixed GN,hmm maybe i should switch to shaw's wifi modem?
borntukill

borntukill

i just traded in my modem only for the cisco 3825. the wireless range cover sucks on this modem, as usual.Any advance settings I should change to get better signal coverage speed? I did a speed test, didnt fair mcuh better on wireless speedtest, around 60mpbs max? How much is everyone averaging on wireless speedtest?
spectrum70
join:2011-01-14

spectrum70

said by borntukill:

How much is everyone averaging on wireless speedtest?

Using my own wireless AP (Apple Airport Express), I get the same speed as I would wired (roughly 95-98Mbps), with a little more latency.

CherryP
@shawcable.net

CherryP to tired

Anon

to tired
With wan speeds of 100mbps+ i'm not sure why people want that via wireless, boggles my mind!

IMO wirless is convienent not reliable, go wired!!
borntukill
join:2009-10-06

borntukill

anybody have some good value for firefox about:config settingsfor bb100?
these are my settings, hoping for some inputs, thanks

network.http.pipelining.maxrequests = 15

nglayout.initialpaint.delay = 0

network.http.pipelining.firstrequest = True.

Find network.dnsCacheEntries and change its value to from 20 to 512.
Find network.dnsCacheExpiration and change its value from 60 to 3600.
Ipv6 disable or enable?
Find network.http.max-connections = 96
Find network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server = 12
Find network.http.max-connections-per-server = 24

bb100
@ertsturgeonpcn.com

bb100 to tired

Anon

to tired
Has anyone else noticed that they changed the upload speeds recently as well?

Before this last update, so I suspect sometime between July and September, they posted the upload rate as 10mbit for the 100mbit plans. As of today, they show 5mbit again.

I also called them within 2 days after their price bump to $190 for unlimited and they would not honor the old $130 price for unlimited, and said that all existing unlimited users would be bumped up to the new $190 price. Can anyone confirm this? I definitely would have gone to the unlimited plan at that time.

hrmmmmmm
@shawcable.net

hrmmmmmm to tired

Anon

to tired
unlimited is a bad choice to offer consumers in general because without accountability, people will just allow torrents to upload at 100% speed 24/7 effectively permanently cutting off a portion of the networks bandwidth.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by hrmmmmmm :

unlimited is a bad choice to offer consumers in general because without accountability, people will just allow torrents to upload at 100% speed 24/7 effectively permanently cutting off a portion of the networks bandwidth.

Lol Go away and go back to dial up

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to kevinds

Premium Member

to kevinds
said by kevinds:

In Vancouver,

25/25 $75
50/50 $141
100/100 $241
300/300 $339

Small market, small company, no responce really needed.

You forgot to mention the strictly enforced $0.50/GB overage charges, with low caps. Sorry, I'm in a building that has Novus and I would never get it -- not with those kind of overage fees.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

With Novus, the caps are seperate up and down, I didn't see them as too low.

If I could, I would choose Novus internet.

Baud1200
join:2003-02-10

4 edits

Baud1200 to bb100

to bb100
said by bb100 :

Has anyone else noticed that they changed the upload speeds recently as well?

Before this last update, so I suspect sometime between July and September, they posted the upload rate as 10mbit for the 100mbit plans. As of today, they show 5mbit again.

I also called them within 2 days after their price bump to $190 for unlimited and they would not honor the old $130 price for unlimited, and said that all existing unlimited users would be bumped up to the new $190 price. Can anyone confirm this? I definitely would have gone to the unlimited plan at that time.

Ya. I had now a couple friends that were going to get the 100 but changed their mind after the upload reduction. Network seems to be bogging down (here anyways i see slowdown during prime hours where it never used to) so they are cutting back on upload as well as jacking up prices, and enforce p2p throttling as per contract agreement applies to the now heavily used node; rather than upgrade the infrastructure. Because of this even if you did get it at 130 you are still paying more for less.

Wish I could say its the first or last time we have or will see these shady tactics from ISP's, its across the board with them because profit is the bottom line to these large companies. As long as we live in a society that accepts this it won't change.
Baud1200

4 edits

Baud1200

Just hit Shaw's site and noticed that they have added a "+" package which allows increased usage, now giving the BB100 speed category 3 tiers.. IE BB100, BB100+, BB100 Unlimited. They also clearly note "Subject to Bump-up" right on the advertising as well now. Common sense says that this will be added soon to some of the other packages as well in 2013.
»www.shaw.ca/Internet/Bro ··· and-100/

"‡When you subscribe to one of our Broadband Internet packages, you will be opting into the Bump-Up Program. If you exceed your package’s included data, you will automatically be bumped up to the next level of Broadband Internet package for the remainder of your billing cycle. Once your new billing cycle begins, you will return to your original Internet package and your data will be reset to zero. The first time your included data is exceeded, you will receive one month’s grace and won’t be bumped up to the next tier. The Bump-Up Program is coming soon in 2013."

Its safe to assume that the addition of both the + plan and the note about the bump up are clear indications that they will be paying a bit more attention to usage now, in addition to the increased price, implemented throttling, and reduced upload already mentioned above. Even an idiot can put this together with the congestion users are reporting and get an overall picture of the status of their network, and their reluctance to upgrade it.
molfert
join:2002-02-19
Calgary, AB

molfert to tired

to tired
The bump up program has been on the Shaw.ca site for over a year now. It has been mentioned many time on this forum.
spectrum70
join:2011-01-14

spectrum70

BB100+ has also been around for a while.

I contacted Shaw yesterday and they said their 'upgrade' roll-outs were delayed because of that fire they had at the Shaw building in Calgary.
Whether or not that's true, I have no idea.

Timerider222
@telus.net

Timerider222 to tired

Anon

to tired
Once a CROOKed company, always a CROOKed company. I see people are forgetting the big UBB storm from 2 years ago and all the slimy crap Shaw was pulling. They lure you in with the supposed high speeds and then bend you over once your hooked. I know someone on here will tell me to "shut up" but just remember, "Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me".

And now I have to get back to my SLOW but un-metered connection and low monthly bill................
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by Timerider222 :

Once a CROOKed company, always a CROOKed company. I see people are forgetting the big UBB storm from 2 years ago and all the slimy crap Shaw was pulling. They lure you in with the supposed high speeds and then bend you over once your hooked. I know someone on here will tell me to "shut up" but just remember, "Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me".

And now I have to get back to my SLOW but un-metered connection and low monthly bill................

You mean Telus hasnt charged me yet for overages....

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Timerider222

Premium Member

to Timerider222
Additional Download/Upload Usage $2/additional GB used

From the telus.ca page... Which was on their site well before Shaw's UBB ideas...

Timerider222
@telus.net

Timerider222

Anon

Yes Telus has had overages listed on their site for a long time but as I have read elsewhere on this site, nobody has ever received an overage charge. I have gone over my limit every month for almost two years now and have never heard a peep, (I used to get regular calls from pissed off Shaw CSRs making threats and telling me to quit using the internet so much". The final straw was the big UBB fiasco, I dumped Shaw and have never looked back. Lately Telus has activated their meter to keep track of usage but is still not enforcing their caps. If any of this info is wrong somebody please correct me. Whether Telus enforces caps in the future is anybody's guess but for right now it's not happening.

I know most people are craving the speed these days, but if you are a little patient you can get slower speeds for a way more reasonable monthly rate. As others have said on here, because Telus can't compete with Shaw's speeds maybe not enforcing their caps is a way to keep their service appealing. I know I couldn't stand living under hard caps with overage charges, I was paranoid about going over and was constantly obsessing about my usage and Shaw's dumb meter, is that really the best way to enjoy the internet (I SAY NO).

Bottom line is if you want the faster speeds Shaw's gonna make damn sure you pay for it. Do the research most Canadian Telecoms are bending us over and printing their own money with little or no upgrades to service even though equipment prices are dropping yearly. I am not a Telus fanboy and was a loyal Shaw internet customer for over 12 years before switching, but watching Shaw's slimy tactics and trying to implement UBB in whatever form they can even 2 years later makes me want to puke.

If Telus ever starts charging for overages I will probably check out a Teksavvy Unlimited account next. One thing Shaw taught me is to stop giving these large corporations any loyalty, now I will go to whoever has the best deal and not get sucked into the "Telus Family", "Shaw Family" etc, feel good advertising, it's all B.S. The new customers get the best deals and offers so if your not happy move somewhere else, become a new customer, finally get a good deal for a change.

Sorry for the long post, but SHAW still gets me steamed even two years later. The shareholders are Shaw's prime concern, not their employees or their customers.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

The Telus vs Shaw pricing is VERY close for the speeds that are close... Shaw is not charging for overages either, so that idea really doesn't matter either.

I was talking to an account rep from Telus two months ago, asking her for the same services I have from Shaw cheaper, or better services for the same price, and Telus couldn't come close, so not cheaper...
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to Timerider222

to Timerider222
said by Timerider222 :

Instead of a fast but un-metered connection. I'm okay with that. Enjoy. Welcome to the free market where you have this choice, and thanks for chipping in on the discussion.
ShawX
join:2012-02-08

ShawX to tired

to tired
Having Shaw's site set to Medicine Hat the unlimited packages are now $195!!

Did they go up again by $5? That's crazy!
ShawX

ShawX to ravenchilde

to ravenchilde
Enjoy your Telus metered internet as of Feb 1, 2013. Wish I was on Turbo 25 with a 250gb limit!!

»telus.com/content/home-p ··· 12120401
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to tired

to tired
So how does Shaw justify making people pay 195 dollars a month for 100 unlimited mean while Shaw 250 unlimited is the exact same prince? Why not drop the price of 100 unlimited down to like 100 a month
Expand your moderator at work

Shawfanboy
@shawcable.net

Shawfanboy to DanteX

Anon

to DanteX

Re: Shaw Unlimited 100

I believe the 100 unlimited automatcailly gets upgraded to 250 unlimited (no extra cost to customer) once the network upgrades are complete to offer those speedst. Correct me if i am wrong.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to ShawX

to ShawX
said by ShawX:

Enjoy your Telus metered internet as of Feb 1, 2013. Wish I was on Turbo 25 with a 250gb limit!!

It's kind of moot. Telus has never charged overage and doesn't enforce their caps. I have no idea why they decided to mess around with their posted caps when they don't enforce them. It was like all that hoopla a few years ago when Telus posted overage rates, but it was all of for not, because they don't charge them.. lol.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

said by zod5000:

said by ShawX:

It's kind of moot. Telus has never charged overage and doesn't enforce their caps. I have no idea why they decided to mess around with their posted caps when they don't enforce them. It was like all that hoopla a few years ago when Telus posted overage rates, but it was all of for not, because they don't charge them.. lol.

So you are suggesting a 'wait and see where this goes' approach?
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by ravenchilde:

So you are suggesting a 'wait and see where this goes' approach?

Yup. Telus has a long enough trend of not enforcing that I find it hard to believe they would at this point. If Shaw's bump up program gets ugly (IE the bump you out of grandfathered rates) I think I'd be ok with going back to my old method. Internet on Telus, TV on Shaw.

Of course the reason I left Telus in the first place was because they wouldn't sell me internet faster than 15mpbs, so I would by now they've improved it to 25mbps or 50mbps.