spc
uniqs
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Re: Sewer flooding

The sewer backup insurance is not expensive. My premium is only $15 per year.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

What is the deductible, and is it a separate deductible, say if a storm knocks your roof off?

Indeedy
@videotron.ca

Indeedy to Bob4

Anon

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

The sewer backup insurance is not expensive. My premium is only $15 per year.

You have a diff sewer design. Maybe a non-finished basement? WHo knows.

I know over here there are some houses/area's they will not even insure. I have it, but it will only cover up to something like 15K. They won't give more.

Most insurance companies are very wise to what area has what. I expect this guy to get bare minimum, 10-15K coverage. But the US may be different when it comes to insurance. Certainly isn't a 15$ add-on here when in a problem area.

Even with the millions being spent to refurb everything to surpass code. I call the INS and said I should be getting a reduction since the risk is low and the risk is limited to a 100 year event. Girl on the phone laughed at me and said, "insurance never goes down". Told me to bring the issue up with some Canadian board to force a review.

I expect I will have to get some signatures and the engineers reports before they stop laughing at me.

I expect no less in the states... But then again, we here horror stories here about how they don't pay out when things happen...

I'm curious what they will tell him. Let us know...
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

My insurance company has lowered rates in the past. They even give me 5% of my premium back when I renew.

Indeedy
@videotron.ca

Indeedy

Anon

said by Bob4:

My insurance company has lowered rates in the past. They even give me 5% of my premium back when I renew.

Ah. Yeah, piddly combined insurance discounts, or loyalty discounts. etc etc But when rates go up, they don't actually lower the *stated* rate.

I get 10% for having a few things insured with them. But that didn't stop the rate from increasing. The rate should decrease due to the lower risk and lower probability of a damage causing event. Insurance is all based on probability and risk. Rates are based on that.

Anyhow... It will be interesting what they state to him. I'm a little curious about the differences between here and there.

They may demand a backflow preventer (backwater valve) before he even gets insured. Which is very possible.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by Indeedy :

They may demand a backflow preventer (backwater valve) before he even gets insured. Which is very possible.

Semantic notes:

The trade term backflow preventer seems to be used for potable water applications, i.e. a double check backflow preventer.

These are significantly different in design from backwater valves used for sewer applications. I don't know if there's a trade dictionary or model code distinction, but it helps reduce the scope of the discussion to know the difference.

I realize that this being a free country and English and all that, people will call things whatever they want regardless. Have a great weekend everybody. (Or would that be weekstart? )

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

There definitely are backflow preventer for other applications (such as check valves used by some municipalities at the water meter or anti-syphon valves for yard irrigation) but that doesn't mean that the term is exclusively reserved for those.

It may be a regional thing (as naming conventions often are) but at least on this coast businesses that sell and install these devices call them sewer backflow preventer.

Indeedy
@videotron.ca

Indeedy to ArgMeMatey

Anon

to ArgMeMatey
I am guilty of using both words (backflow preventer & backwater valve) interchangeably.

Guilty as changed.