share rss forum feed

caruso
Premium
join:2003-08-22
California
kudos:1

1 edit

[XPPro] Playing videos in RealPlayer gets hick-ups

Hi, Folks, I am running out of ideas, so please try to help me.
When I play recorded from YouTube in mp4 videos, like concerts etc, the play get stuck every so often for few seconds, then resume after those few seconds, which are lost. It's happen on the full screen as well as windowed, original recorded in 360 or 480.
I checked by playing those skipped parts again, the video is always intact.
There is no buffer size adjustment on my Video card, I have memory usage set on 'program priority' vs 'background', and I have a plenty of paging file size on PC, 3000MB.
so, perhaps one of you will be curious and gracious enough to give me some directions...
thanks, Caruso.

Windows XP pro, SP3 with current updates
NVIDIA GE FORCE 8400GS 256MB fresh driver, (have only single slot, can't put in anything fat and bigger)
Dell, Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz 2.79GHz 2.00GB of RAM
RealPlayer 15.0.6.14
Exede ViaSat, with downloads at my PC never less than 390kbsec.

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2
I'm betting the problem is the low bandwidth on your Internet connection. I have 1.5 Meg. DSL connection, and I can get the same symptoms as you get.

Freddy

caruso
Premium
California
Thanks, Freddy, ...but you see, the video is already downloaded, and the glitched parts, when backed up and played again are there, playing without problem, so those freezes are random, and have nothing to do with integrity of recorded piece, I think.
Btw, I have a satellite connection advertising my package at Up to 3 Mbps downstream, and up to 300 kbps upstream.
I know, that 'up to' wording, but even when I had the Dial-Up I didn't had that problem.
Also, at times, instead blank and silent few seconds, the video gets frosen , but music is playing, also for a few seconds.
oh, and I stream movies from Netflix regularly, without problem whatsoever.
Thanks, Freddy.
--
“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
-Benjamin Franklin-

RayGeode

join:2004-07-21
Norwalk, CT
open task manager to see if another process interferes at the same time as your freezes.

Try using winamp or Windows media player instead.

Burn your video to a DVD and play it that way, tho' free DVD software has the same problem. You'd have to buy something.

Upgrade your PC.

caruso
Premium
California
Thanks, Ray. But the time I will open Task Manager, video is playing again, usually 2 to 3 seconds

WMP don't recognize mp4.

To burn DVD is kind of backwards, don't you think?

In my times, 64Mb was considered a state of the art. Now 2 Gig is peanut, and I need quad processor and gig of video memory> there has to be a different solution. I am very old man.

Thanks, Ray.
--
“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
-Benjamin Franklin-

RayGeode

join:2004-07-21
Norwalk, CT
said by caruso:

But the time I will open Task Manager, video is playing again, usually 2 to 3 seconds

keep taskmanager open and monitor while your video is running. Better solution is find a suitable tool from sysinternals which can log the same data for close analysis

said by caruso:

To burn DVD is kind of backwards, don't you think?

If this is for simple home enjoyment for yourself only, then whatever you can tolerate....

If however you are creating something for a wide viewer audience then no I don't think so. I've created slideshows of child daycare graduations which would be shown multiple times. It was worth it for ease of use - DVD player, easy distribution, and no surprises.

said by caruso:

In my times, 64Mb was considered a state of the art. Now 2 Gig is peanut, and I need quad processor and gig of video memory> there has to be a different solution. I am very old man.

true enough but you may enjoy your computer more for it I bought a desktop PC for my office for less than $500 this year. Really pretty nice.

EvilByDesire
I Am My Own God
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Grotto

1 recommendation

reply to caruso
ditch realplayer and download media player classic »mpc-hc.sourceforge.net . It is not 1999, get rid of that crappy realplayer and use something from this century
--
Sometimes "The Majority" only means all the fools are on the same side.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
Real Player is still alive? People still use Real Player?
I think the last version of Real Player I installed was on Windows 98 Gold Edition.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to caruso

The last GOOD version of realplayer was v8 (I have it and love it) That was before AOL joined forces with REAL NETWORKS and destroyed the player!!

I think if ya had the right codecs for WMP it would play MP4,MOV,etc...

caruso
Premium
California
reply to EvilByDesire

Re: [XPPro] Playing videos in RealPlayer gets hick-ups

said by EvilByDesire:

ditch realplayer and download media player classic »mpc-hc.sourceforge.net . It is not 1999, get rid of that crappy realplayer and use something from this century

wow, what a difference. I been living under huge rock. Thanks, DevilByDesire. You have mademy day, heck, month.
Now, everything I have has association with RealPlayer. How can I easy switch that?
Thanks again,
Caruso.
--
-Benjamin Franklin-

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
Right click on the file, select properties and then change the association there to what ever program you are using.

caruso
Premium
California
said by moes:

Right click on the file, select properties and then change the association there to what ever program you are using.

Thanks, Moes, but there is a way to assign all the DVD to Media Player Classic instead of Real Player. I just don't know where the program is.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

You should be able to buddy,goto file types and remove that from being assigned to RP,then when you click it,RE-ASSIGN IT TO WMC

Good luck!

caruso
Premium
California
oh, that was easy with google:"Open media player classic,
click on View > Options. Click on Formats and then chose the formats you want the MPC to be the default player"

shack, I can browse, use my computer to the fullest while having music with little window playing all along. The Stereo Separation is superb as well (i am musician), wow, wow, happy camper here. and and open files immediately, not two minutes later. wow again.
--
-Benjamin Franklin-