Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

Down again

Today I received my Cablevision bill, and within was a $2.00 credit for the 24 hour outage of 3 weeks ago. Tonight Down Again! CV claims it's due to a system update. It would be bloody nice to be informed beforehand as I do most of my work at night.

This cable crap is no better in reliability than my crappy Clear 4g, which I am on at the moment. Glad I didn't disconnect that too quickly, I would have no connection at all.

The outage must be pretty wide-spread, as I had to wait more than 30 minutes to get a tech on the phone due to "unusually high call volume".

This sucks! Worse, I have no alternatives, as CV has an exclusive in my area. Something has to be done about that. I should have some choice as to which Internet provider I can buy service from.

Bob
--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

rgh718

join:2012-09-07
Brooklyn, NY

What are the options

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to TamaraB

Verizon doesn't offer FiOS or DSL? Seems hard to believe.

FWIW, I had CV for ~9 years in The Bronx. I can count the number of outages on one hand.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to TamaraB

said by TamaraB:

...my crappy Clear 4g, which I am on at the moment. Glad I didn't disconnect that too quickly, I would have no connection at all.

Yeah, and then how would you rant about this?!?!
said by TamaraB:

Worse, I have no alternatives, as CV has an exclusive in my area. Something has to be done about that.

Perhaps take your boat and sail to Cuba?

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08
reply to TamaraB

You can choose whatever provider you want. The choice is yours. You just might have to move to get the service you want.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to TamaraB

What time was it down? cablevision sent a notice stating things might be down over then next few weeks between 1am and 4am (i think those were the times).

rgh718

@spcsdns.net
reply to TamaraB

Every night around 1am my internet goes down then cuts back on sometime in the morning. This sucks because not only do I use at night but I have clients over seas where it's earlier. I don't know what to do maybe fios.

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08

said by rgh718:

Every night around 1am my internet goes down then cuts back on sometime in the morning. This sucks because not only do I use at night but I have clients over seas where it's earlier. I don't know what to do maybe fios.

I doubt its every night like you say, but if it is then I would call them.

There is a lot of maintenance happening between 1am-6am and since you seem to be awake at those times when it goes down it might be a good idea to call them up and see if it maintenance or if you need a tech.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

Verizon doesn't offer FiOS or DSL? Seems hard to believe.

No FIOS. Dsl Perhaps, but they now require a landline phone. As far as outages go, this is number two in the past 3 weeks. I moved here in May, got CV, first cable I ever had. Thought it was going to be more reliable than my Clear 4G. So far that's not the case.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to majortom1029

said by majortom1029:

What time was it down? cablevision sent a notice stating things might be down over then next few weeks between 1am and 4am (i think those were the times).

Yeah, it was around 2am. When I spoke to their tech on the phone I told him it would be nice to be notified if it was a planned outage. He said such a system of notification is in the works, but they don't have one yet. What kind of notice did you get?

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1

It was an email in my optonline email sent august 15

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
reply to TamaraB

Time to get business service or go back to the office

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

said by dm145:

Time to get business service or go back to the office

Agreed. If you need guaranteed uptime to satisfy your business clients, you might want to consider a commercial solution with a SLA.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by limegrass69:

Agreed. If you need guaranteed uptime to satisfy your business clients, you might want to consider a commercial solution with a SLA.

Doesn't that commercial connection travel over the same cable? Are you saying that when we were down for over 24 hours couple weeks ago, commercial CV accounts stayed up?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

"Business Optimum Online" does not come with an SLA. It uses the same network as regular OOL. Cablevision has a business-class service division called Lightpath. That would've stayed online. Of course, it costs thousands of dollars per month as well.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

OVsla

@optonline.net

said by Thinkdiff:

"Business Optimum Online" does not come with an SLA. It uses the same network as regular OOL. Cablevision has a business-class service division called Lightpath. That would've stayed online. Of course, it costs thousands of dollars per month as well.

business OV has an SLA. One thing in that agreement is that they will get someone working on your issue within a certain time frame. Really wouldn't do anything for someone during an outage or a "system update".

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to TamaraB

To date, I think I've experienced about three outages with Cablevision where everything died unexpectedly. In all instances I remember service restoring within the hour if not sooner.

Verizon DSL never went down, ever. While I appreciated that reliability, the value didn't compare to what I have with cable now.