share rss forum feed

breese
Premium
join:2000-05-10
Arlington Heights, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest

Non-Ultra Issues - Sound - Picture - Menu......

Have had wow for years (nothing better so far in the area).
As they have been rolling out this Ultra package, we have seen issues from the Menu taking forever to appear on the scrren, Very slow response stepping thru the menu, etc...
The latest is Channel 2... The modulation is SO LOW I have to crank my sound system up to 75% just to hear it!!
Then when you go and change channels (and you forget about the sound level), you get blasted out of the room!!

We have 3 set top boxes in the house and all 3 do it.
Heres the funny part, I switch over to my OTA antenna and not only does the sound go back to Normal, we get a BETTER picture!!

BTW: We are in Arlingtin Heights Illinois and I swear if U-Verse becomes available, We Are Gone!!

NuclearXP

join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI

I'm with you on this. I have called a couple times about bad compression blocking around sports score menus, bad picture, and downright unresponsive menus. My winter project will probably be ditching WOW cable equipment for my own HTPC DVR. If that doesn't help picture quality, then it'll be WOW getting the boot next, as I won't need their equipment to replicate an UltraTV experience.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:30
reply to breese

said by breese:

Have had wow for years (nothing better so far in the area).
As they have been rolling out this Ultra package, we have seen issues from the Menu taking forever to appear on the scrren, Very slow response stepping thru the menu, etc...
The latest is Channel 2... The modulation is SO LOW I have to crank my sound system up to 75% just to hear it!!
Then when you go and change channels (and you forget about the sound level), you get blasted out of the room!!

We have 3 set top boxes in the house and all 3 do it.
Heres the funny part, I switch over to my OTA antenna and not only does the sound go back to Normal, we get a BETTER picture!!

BTW: We are in Arlingtin Heights Illinois and I swear if U-Verse becomes available, We Are Gone!!

Have you called customer service and had a technician come out and investigate this issue locally? This is not an known issue with our service, and it's most likely something local to you. I believe I located your account in the system, but I'm not able to communicate with your digital box, which would mean that you've got another problem which will not allow you to order VOD. I suggest you schedule a technician to come out and take a look around your home.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

breese
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest

Explain to me how a problem at My End is going to effect your service ability to Modulate channel volume?
I am a Senior Systems Engineer and if there is nothing the same on a Local piece of equipment, it has to be the remote systems.

Depening on the channel depends on Volume, Video Quality, Performance.

Ever sense being Forced to go to your Digital Boxes, this has become an increasing worse situtation.
I.M. me if you need more information on my location.

btw: for those looking for a personal PVR - check out MediaPortal. I have it and love it...

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
reply to WOW_Dan

said by WOW_Dan:

Have you called customer service and had a technician come out and investigate this issue locally? This is not an known issue with our service, and it's most likely something local to you. I believe I located your account in the system, but I'm not able to communicate with your digital box, which would mean that you've got another problem which will not allow you to order VOD. I suggest you schedule a technician to come out and take a look around your home.

Sorry Dan but it isn't his problem alone. I too have the same audio problem and I'm 10 miles away. Noticed it a week or so ago. Like he said channel 2 is low, also channel 5. Channel 7 is normal. This in addition to the aspect ratio problem that still continues after six months. Currently Fox SD (channel 3) is showing the HD picture, which doesn't display correct in 4:3. Also audio is still out of sync with the video on many channels.

Does anybody at WOW even watch their own service? Instead of telling him it must be a localissue turn on a TV right now and tell us that the volume isn't messed up on ch. 2 and 5?

I'm a longtime WOW customer but sorry to say things are going downhill fast.

I call but it is of no use. Like you in this case WOW immediately assumes it is a problem at the customers end. To convince them otherwise is almost impossible.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

I already contacted someone in the NW suburbs to check the feeds up in that area, but I'm not able to duplicate the issue here in Naperville. Maybe they will find something. It still doesn't resolve what appears to be a larger problem that I don't have two-way communication to anything in his home, which is the main reason I suggested him having a technician come out. That is something that is a local problem, and requires a tech visit.
--
Dan Della Terza

alan92rttt

join:2012-02-27
reply to troubleagain

"This in addition to the aspect ratio problem that still continues after six months. Currently Fox SD (channel 3) is showing the HD picture, which doesn't display correct in 4:3."
Try going into settings and enabling the 480i resolution. Depending on your TV this may work.

On my setup if I don't have 480i enabled I get a letter and pillar boxed image.

breese
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit
reply to breese

My system (audio and large screen LCD) are setup correctly.
When I switch over to my over the air TV (Antenna) I get a MUCH better picture and Full Surround Sound!
The big screen auto-detects the resultions correctly every time.

Funny how more and more people reading this are reporting the Same Issues...

Now at Daves request.... I am on hold for an expected on-line tech in 10 minutes (or so the message tells me)....

Update: So, the phone tech could not access my equipment. The earliest someone can be at my home is Wen between 1pm and 3pm.... Really?
I cannot believe this is not a bigger issue at some equipment building in the area...

alan92rttt

join:2012-02-27

"The big screen auto-detects the resultions correctly every time." My TV autodetects as well. If you don't tell ultra that 480I is an option just padd in with black to meet the closest available output and the TV never sees a resolution change.

IMO ultra should properly scale the video to your chosen output rez or at least offer a "zoom" feature like the SA boxes have.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

@breese, is the sound fixed on ch. 2? Mine is. Long story how I got it done but at least it's ok for now.

As for the aspect ratio being wrong, nothing changed on my TV. It's either WOW or the provider actually having the issue.

breese
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
reply to breese

Like the Subject Said
Non-Ultra Issues
I have Basic cable... (orig digital before Ultra)
Funny part of all this is that I am not the only one having these issues...

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
reply to alan92rttt

said by alan92rttt:

Try going into settings and enabling the 480i resolution. Depending on your TV this may work.

On my setup if I don't have 480i enabled I get a letter and pillar boxed image.

Do you mean on my TV or the STB? I don't have any settings on my older CRT TV. My DVR says 1080i but I was told that is correct and I can't seem to change it anyway. The other STB is the same it's always been and certain channels show different aspect ratios then they used to so I have to think it is from the feed. Whether it is WOW or the provider (broadcast network in most cases) I don't know.

breese
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest
reply to breese

As of last night the sound is not fixed.
It does appear the Menu speed has improved.
When I called for a tech to come out, they still could not gain access to my digital box.

Still waiting to hear from Wow_Dan on the request he put in for the area to be checked....

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

said by breese:

As of last night the sound is not fixed.
It does appear the Menu speed has improved.
When I called for a tech to come out, they still could not gain access to my digital box.

Still waiting to hear from Wow_Dan on the request he put in for the area to be checked....

We checked and couldn't duplicate the problem. We went ahead and increased the volume on the channel regardless, so customers that were experiencing it shouldn't have any problem. It's actually coming through a little louder here now than the channels around it when I checked it just now.
--
Dan Della Terza

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

Funny, the person I talked to said it was the provider's issue and they had them resolve it which did fix it for me. Now that WOW itself turned it up it is louder than others. I guess it's better than being low but if you turned it back to normal for you I wouldn't mind.

But how about Channel 5? Still pretty low volume. Can you increase that one slightly?

breese
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest
reply to breese

By chance, those that are reading this and having the same type of issues, do you have the Explorer 2200 box?
I do...
According to what I have read so far, this box is Very outdated.
I have requested a newer box come out with the tech on Wen.

btw: have you checked the Volume level on the digital box?
I had to crank mine up after the power reset yesterday

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

Different box (in fact two different STBs) and they both have the issue. I keep my volume on the boxes fixed at the max.

And yes the 2200 is old. Get yourself a newer box.

todkavonic

join:2002-06-30
Arlington Heights, IL

1 edit
reply to breese

I am in Arlington Heights and have never had that problem. I have the SA 8300. The volume is the same on all my channels.

Go Blue

@sbcglobal.net

I to had a volume issue with some channels not loud enough and some ok. What I did was go into the General Settings of the cable box (SA 8300) and changed the inputs to:

Audio Digital Out: HDMI
Audio Range: Narrow
Audio Volume Ctrl: Variable

And my issue was fixed. Some of the volume settings of channel volume were 50 to 55 and now their in the 20's.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

said by Go Blue :

Audio Digital Out: HDMI
Audio Range: Narrow
Audio Volume Ctrl: Variable

And my issue was fixed. Some of the volume settings of channel volume were 50 to 55 and now their in the 20's.

Tech who did my installation said leave volume at fixed. Range is set for narrow and audio out choices are Dolby Digital or other.

Settings don't make a difference anyway with the volume disparity between channels. The Weather Channel blasts you out of your seat and local NBC can barely be heard. Most everything else is pretty good.

Go blue

@sbcglobal.net

You don't have your tv hooked up with a HDMI Cable?
There is a audio setting for that.

breese
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest
reply to breese

Well it looks like the WOW soga continues.
Tech came out on Sep 12. Discovered there is an issue with the burried cable. I asked that management call me do to other cables being cut everytime some company decides they need to replace their cable.

About an hr later I get a call from Matt (a supervisor) who also has someone from the burried crew withh him. I explain the problems and they guarantee they will do anything needed to make sure my AT&T line is fine. It would also be helpfull if I could be home for the crews.

I explaied that for the week of Sep 24th I would be out of town but after that I would be available. They said the location crews would come out and then they would work with me on a date to install and bury the new cable.

As of today, there has been No Locator Crews. There has been No Calls from WOW at Any Level.

Seems everytime I have to deal with customer support on signal issues or hardware, I have to do All The Work to get someone to Work With Me!! It's not that hard..... Follow-up, do what you Said you would do and, Get it done before the Snow Fly's!!

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

I sure hope they aren't replacing a cable because of the volume issue you initially reported in this thread.

Volume is still messed up for me and there's no way it's because of a cable. It's from WOW's end or perhaps a combination of WOW and the provider.

If Dan reads this maybe he can get the same person who turned up channel 2 to turn it down since it is now 25% louder than other stations. Channel 5 is still low but I think I'd rather have it low than too loud. Channel 2 blows us out of our seats and I have to be careful or it may damage my speakers.

breese
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
reply to breese

Last time they were here they 'upgraded' the cable box and did a test of the signal. From the poll to the house there is a 15+db loss.
Needless to say the cable is / was scheduled to be replaced. Now if someone would tell me when...

breese
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest
reply to breese

Well, it is a Month Later...
Everyone seems to have droped the ball on this one!
Orig Supervisor I talked to never ordered the Locator service.
Now I am on vacation at home and today another person calls the house (I think this is #3) and tells me the locator service will be about 48hrs.

Does anyone know how I can esclate this to an upper management person?

WOW is right... but not in company name...