share rss forum feed

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to ekster

Re: Lets take back our games, a call to arms for decent men.

said by ekster:

This is the Internet's anonymity fault. People just get stupid when they think no one can find them, know who they are and think that there will be no consequences. That's all.

+1

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by bionicRod:

said by ekster:

This is the Internet's anonymity fault. People just get stupid when they think no one can find them, know who they are and think that there will be no consequences. That's all.

+1

I still disagree with this, you don't become more or less of an a**hole because of anonymity.

You either are or wanna be one, and are using the cover of anonymity to carry out your a**hole agenda.

I consider myself somewhat assertive, and disagree with lots of people, but I do so both online and off.

The only place I tone it down is at work, because we all have to be there, and I certainly don't want to listen to someone else's opinions while I'm trying to work so I try and extend to same courtesy to my co-workers.

You're getting the same person here that you would offline, I don't give my name to strangers offline, so why should I give it to strangers online?
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Mentat
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Sugar Land, TX

said by El Quintron:

You're getting the same person here that you would offline, I don't give my name to strangers offline, so why should I give it to strangers online?

This is what everyone says, then you meet them irl and you're shaking hands with some nerdy loser.
--
¯\_()_/¯ () mmoQQ.com () °°

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to El Quintron

said by El Quintron:

said by bionicRod:

said by ekster:

+1

I still disagree with this, you don't become more or less of an a**hole because of anonymity.

You either are or wanna be one, and are using the cover of anonymity to carry out your a**hole agenda.

I consider myself somewhat assertive, and disagree with lots of people, but I do so both online and off.

The only place I tone it down is at work, because we all have to be there, and I certainly don't want to listen to someone else's opinions while I'm trying to work so I try and extend to same courtesy to my co-workers.

I disagree with that 100%. It may be true for you and me, but some people definitely DO become more of an asshole and say things they would never think to do otherwise because of anonymity.

We have a local news website where I live. They allowed anonymous posters to comment for years. There were tons of comments on every story, and almost all of them were absolutely vile. Racism, misogyny, people making fun of murder and accident victims, threats, name calling. The website changed their policy and now require a facebook account to log in. All of it stopped. What comments are left, while still personal opinions that differ among different folks, are overwhelmingly civil. The difference on that one site is like night and day. And the only thing that changed was the anonymity.

That said I'm not in favor of being forced to use my real name and picture online, or against anonymous user names. It is what it is and you have to accept the good with the bad. If you can't take the heat from anonymous retards, you probably shouldn't be online.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Mentat

said by Mentat:

This is what everyone says, then you meet them irl and you're shaking hands with some nerdy loser.

Does being a nerdy loser make you any more or less confrontational?

It just makes you a nerdy loser.
--

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
reply to Mentat

said by Mentat:

said by El Quintron:

But I'm a french model online sir.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to El Quintron

When I say get stupid, I don't mean it turns good people in assholes. I mean that people become much bigger ones.

And let's face it, no matter how nice anyone is, we're all jerks on the inside to some degree. And it's easier to do it online than offline because if you log in on a forum, insult someone, then log off, what will happen? Nothing. You might get banned, but that's no big deal. Anyone can do it, no matter their size, strength, age, sex, etc.

If your name is attached to it, or worse, you do it person. There can be serious consequences. They can beat you up, the employer can fire you, the coworkers can shun you, etc. It will have serious consequences on your life, so people have to restrain themselves and appear to be nice, even if they want to call you all sort of names the second you turn your back on them.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to bionicRod

said by bionicRod:

We have a local news website where I live. They allowed anonymous posters to comment for years. There were tons of comments on every story, and almost all of them were absolutely vile. Racism, misogyny, people making fun of murder and accident victims, threats, name calling. The website changed their policy and now require a facebook account to log in. All of it stopped. What comments are left, while still personal opinions that differ among different folks, are overwhelmingly civil. The difference on that one site is like night and day. And the only thing that changed was the anonymity.

I guess the question I'd ask at that point would be did they have some type of moderation in place? If no, then that might have more to do with it than anything.

Most of this could be addressed with a proper moderation policy no? I almost feel it's better to let this garbage out and have it addressed rather than simply not knowing people feel a certain way. The latter may not be for everyone but most of the time I like to know the pulse of the audience as it were.
--

bionicRod
Premium
united state

said by El Quintron:

I guess the question I'd ask at that point would be did they have some type of moderation in place? If no, then that might have more to do with it than anything.

Most of this could be addressed with a proper moderation policy no? I almost feel it's better to let this garbage out and have it addressed rather than simply not knowing people feel a certain way. The latter may not be for everyone but most of the time I like to know the pulse of the audience as it were.

They did not and do not. The only requirement they enforced is that people now had to have a facebook account to comment, and behavior changed greatly. John Gabriel has it right.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

I think that graph is hilarious, but, DSLr has a good moderation policy. Every now and again someone posts something inappropriate and it gets pulled.

We're all talking here with anon logins and I haven't seen anything grossly inappropriate that hasn't been actioned on.
--

bionicRod
Premium
united state

But there IS moderation here... no flaming is allowed. Do it and your post is deleted. Do enough of it and you're banned. Anonymity = dickishness for a LOT of people. I think you can see it all over the internet. Go to IMDb and try not to be spoiled on the Game of Thrones boards just by the titles of threads. The guys that do that shit do it just to ruin someone else's experience. If their real name was on that shit I doubt they would continue for long.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by bionicRod:

But there IS moderation here... no flaming is allowed.

Of course, I was saying that we can keep anonymity as long as there is moderation (sorry if I didn't express that), out of the two I'd prefer moderation to using real names.

I'd imagine that would be more difficult somewhere where all communication was live
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

Also you get trolled to death if you try do that.

Mentat
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Sugar Land, TX

And you can say bye-bye to dslr's huge forum base with a change to RL logins.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

said by Mentat:

And you can say bye-bye to dslr's huge forum base with a change to RL logins.

+1
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
kudos:1
reply to Thardorian

But you're talking about people just being arseholes to each other in general. The OP is talking about men being arseholes to women just because they're women.

I find this amusing really. I've known men who pose in games as women because they got better treatment, not worse.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

said by Uncle Paul:

But you're talking about people just being arseholes to each other in general. The OP is talking about men being arseholes to women just because they're women.

I find this amusing really. I've known men who pose in games as women because they got better treatment, not worse.

Talkin' about some NELFS huhs?

Uncle Paul

USA

Ok, you got me... don't know what NELFS are and Google talked about: Night Elfs or North East London Fertility Services.

Still trying to figure out where the OP got this idea that women are somehow being singled out for abuse any more than anyone else within a gaming/internet community.

If you're in a group and are told, "Don't go over there because you'll agro that Giant Slimeball that will wipe the group", and you do it anyway. Expect for people to have some pretty choice words for you. Those words aren't based on your sex, race, height, weight, etc. Those words are based on you being a friggin dumbass. Now, if the OP wants me as a man to filter my comments because the player is a women (if I even know), then he can go pound sand. A dumbass move is a dumbass move and needs to be called for what it is.

Uncle Paul

USA
reply to Thardorian

Well there ya go....

»www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/10/02/···features

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
reply to bionicRod

the bubble of security (anonymity) also applies to driving

normal person + car + percieved anonymity = Total Asshole

Kaltes
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Thardorian

This article is so stupid. Video games are full of jerks because that is the true face of humanity. People are immature jerks. People only cover this up in public out of fear of harm to their reputation if they acted like their true selves.

This is why so many people act up when they are on alcohol: the alcohol inhibits their ability to control what a jackass they are, so their true self peeks out. The fact that SO MANY people are actually jerks means that society has this tacit agreement that acting inappropriately while drunk is not a big deal (instead of being an indictment of your true character) because everyone else is afraid of how THEY might act when drunk.

"What distinguishes a real man from a boy is that a man takes responsibility for his actions and does not abuse this power."

No, what distinguishes a man from a boy is... AGE. There are a lot of real men who didn't take responsibility for their actions, and who abuse their power. You don't think a mafia boss is a real man??

Articles like this are where beta males pretend to be macho. uh huuuh. riiiiiight. /rolleyes

TheThing

reply to Thardorian

Women do not play vodeo games

/endthread

bionicRod
Premium
united state

said by TheThing:

Women do not play vodeo games

/endthread

Nobody plays vodeo games.

TheThing

reply to Thardorian

i have the wife set up with a gaming machine, in the hopes that some day she will convert

plants vs. zombies is the first step