how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to alkizmo

Re: Motion sensor security light - Are they all junk?

When I had put some in where I used to live it stated on the box to keep the sensor eye from direct sunlight. If pointed at direct sunlight it would shorten the life of the sensor. I don't remember the brand.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to alkizmo

That's what I've been doing since it stopped working properly. I have a separate light near it that has a switch, so it goes on when it gets dark, and gets shut off when I wake up. If I go away for a week, I just leave it on. It's a 23W CFL, so it's not using much electric.

Hellrazor

join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

1 Lithonia, and 1 Heath.

Lithonia is the biggest pile of dung I have ever used. They used their commercial lights in the one building at work and it is a pain to get parts for them. I bought a few lithonia fluorescent lights for my garage and they last less than 2 years with minimal use.

MrIcehouse

join:2006-02-07
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to averagedude

I have a Heath Zenith in my back yard it still works after 2 years but it flashes a lot, The one on my front porch I got it from my local mom and pop hardware store, he special ordered it for me, it's going on 10 years, I wish I could remember the brand, it was under $100. It has 3 separate settings, width, length and sensitivity. Dogs or cats won't set it off, people in the street either, but if you get closer than 10' from the door it's on.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
reply to alkizmo

I guess it's hit and miss. I have a 20 year old Heath. Works fine.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by Tig:

I have a 20 year old Heath.

The problem is new Heath products are Heath in name only, no semblance to the old Heathkit.

/tom

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
reply to alkizmo

If you want a timer switch that just turns the outside lights on and off:

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···angId=-1

This one has programmable on-off times or a pre-programmed dusk/dawn setting that adjusts for changes in sunrise/set times through the year (including daylight savings time) and does not have a minimum load so it can be used with a low-wattage CFL.

dw

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo

Click for full size
This thread got me so excited I went out and got a new light for $99.00 with a camera that records up to 400 video clips.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

2 recommendations

Click for full size
You'll never stop seeing it.

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19
reply to alkizmo

An of the RAB Stealth series is top quality, NOT junk, and WILL last a long time.
Sorry if folks think $70 is a lot of money for something quality made. If you want $30 junk then buy junk,. If you want quality then you'll have to spend more.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

You generally get what you pay for.

--
September is National Blueberry Popsicle Month

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
reply to alkizmo

Why not get some basic motion flood lights and a good surveillance system? A POS surveillance system isn't going to do a lick of good when you need it (usually at night and usually in low-light).

I have a decent 10 camera surveillance system supplemented with flood lights on my house and it has led to the identification of two vehicle burglary suspects.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

said by exocet_cm:

Why not get some basic motion flood lights and a good surveillance system? A POS surveillance system isn't going to do a lick of good when you need it (usually at night and usually in low-light).

Mine is aimed at the front door and should come in handy for when couriers say they came to my door and didn't.

Or I can now record religious freaks and salespeople when I tell them to fuck off.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

said by peterboro:

said by exocet_cm:

Mine is aimed at the front door and should come in handy for when couriers say they came to my door and didn't.

Or I can now record religious freaks and salespeople when I tell them to fuck off.

So not being used to identify idividuals but just to prove somebody or something was or wasn't there when they said they were?

If you start considering adding more of the surveillance floodlights it would be better and more cost effective to get a surveillance system. If it is just one then you're good to go.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

Insight6

join:2012-08-25
reply to alkizmo

I've lived at the same residential rural location for 13 years. The land is owned by someone else. It is a 1/2 acre lot. There are motion sensor lights all over the place. They have all ways been same sensors.

They appear to be all Heath Zenith. They seldom if ever break or fail. Superficially if they "fail" it seems to usually perhaps all ways be just a burnt out bulb that is a standard bulb easily replaced.

I hope the above helps and wish I had more specific information for you.