spc
Search similar:

uniqs
59137280 (banned)
join:2006-07-06
Montreal, QC

59137280 (banned)

[Rant] National Geographic

It's such a shame about National Geographic brand... the disgusting "National Geographic" TV channel completely destroyed the once quality and respect evoking National Geographic brand. American Gypsies is just another typical show targeted at the lowest common denominator. Never again will I look at the National Geographic magazine the same way I used to... I hope that licensing the repulsively idiotic National Geographic TV channel was worth the monies to the executives of the once respected National Geographic brand

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

said by 59137280:

It's such a shame about National Geographic brand... the disgusting "National Geographic" TV channel completely destroyed the once quality and respect evoking National Geographic brand. American Gypsies is just another typical show targeted at the lowest common denominator. Never again will I look at the National Geographic magazine the same way I used to... I hope that licensing the repulsively idiotic National Geographic TV channel was worth the monies to the executives of the once respected National Geographic brand

I am friends with one of the narrators. John Beach. If you knew how funny he is in person you would watch it all the time just to hear him do the straight act.

Dave

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to 59137280

MVM

to 59137280
I don't watch the channel and have plenty of respect for them (get the magazine)... They need to make money and if they don't - then it will cease. Unfortunately we are in a phase of crap reality TV shows - I refuse to watch them. If it did not make them enough money to survive - then they would not show it.

The only way to get around this is to show stuff they would probably rather show, but then jack the price up for the consumer. No win situation as they can't rely on the magazine\gifts alone.

I respect the brand plenty - I realize why they need to and can separate that from my destain for the shows.

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

2 edits

M A R S to 59137280

Premium Member

to 59137280
SCUM!

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to 59137280

Premium Member

to 59137280
The whole channel is now crap. A bunch of shows about nothing.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

Santa Fe

Don't watch it anymore. What happened to the GOOD old National Geographic specials? Still have the one I taped about Cave exploring & the Letchagia caves in New Mexico. That's the National Geographic I want to remember. And the Magazine of course.

KodiacZiller
Premium Member
join:2008-09-04

KodiacZiller to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

I don't watch the channel and have plenty of respect for them (get the magazine)... They need to make money and if they don't - then it will cease. Unfortunately we are in a phase of crap reality TV shows - I refuse to watch them. If it did not make them enough money to survive - then they would not show it.

Same thing with MTV. Everyone bitches that they don't show music, but it's not what sells. Obviously this means more people are interested in Jersey Shore than in music videos. It's just the way it is, bro.
05641623 (banned)
join:2012-09-17
North Coast

05641623 (banned)

said by KodiacZiller:

said by CylonRed:

Same thing with MTV. Everyone bitches that they don't show music, but it's not what sells. Obviously this means more people are interested in Jersey Shore than music videos. It's just the way it is, bro.

Us older folks remember when MTV actually played music videos, that is where Pauly Shore got his start.

Court TV(TruTV) played court cases 24/7 too, current cases during the day, and replays after hours.

I agree with all the crap "Reality" TV shows, it will not be too soon when they finally die.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to 59137280

Premium Member

to 59137280
Its all about margin.
They basically get the same viewership and sponsors if they make a $1 million documentary or pay a couple of morons like $20K each to do things on camera.
Reality tv shows equal very low cost compared to structured documentaries.

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

I want a reality show on people making reality shows.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

That is too much reality for anyone to handle.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to 59137280

Premium Member

to 59137280
What turned me off from National Geographic many years ago was when the magazine turned into a steaming pile of biased shit. Every article has an agenda and the other side of the story is never told.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

DC DSL to 59137280

Premium Member

to 59137280
What do you expect when Fox is part of the corporate ownership?

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to 59137280

to 59137280
Are you guys telling me that National Geographic does not show any more nature documentaries and has become another retarded TLC channel?

What about the History Channel and their "Alien Ancient Civilizations"? Another respectful channel that went down the tubes.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to 59137280

Premium Member

to 59137280
This is a recurring story. These niche channels start out with good intentions and stick with their base programming. Then they hire a hollywood studio guy to improve their ratings and it all goes to hell.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

said by footballdude:

This is a recurring story. These niche channels start out with good intentions and stick with their base programming. Then they hire a hollywood studio guy to improve their ratings and it all goes to hell.

Ding! Ding! We have a winner!! We have a winner!!

Another example, the Smithsonian channel. It used to be they NEVER have commercials, same thing with the Sundance channel. Now they both have commercials , as if I wanted to see that shit.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

They can't keep the channel on the air without a revenue stream - that means commercials. They may have started and to get viewers they decided to forgo a solid revenue stream and lost money in the interim but sooner or later - they have to have revenue. No revenue - no channel. Even PBS has commercials to supplement the donation stream.

Same thing for free internet service, phone service etc.... eventually they need a revenue stream so commercials or pure pay has to happen.

mr_slick
join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA

mr_slick to CylonRed

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

...Unfortunately we are in a phase of crap reality TV shows - I refuse to watch them....

A PHASE!?!?!?! This crap has been going on for a LONG LONG TIME! I cannot believe there are people actually watching this garbage!

I also do not watch any of that crap, and have to bite my tongue when someone wants to talk to me about it (like a boss at work or something), lest i start saying nasty things about the children of those producers/creators of that crap

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Unfortunately we are in a phase of crap reality TV shows

I wonder when these shows will end? I don't see how people get so wrapped up in prestaged events like this.

Boricua
Premium Member
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

I wonder when these shows will end? I don't see how people get so wrapped up in prestaged events like this.

I can tell you Hoarders does not look prestaged. In fact, I truly believe there is an epidemic of hoarders in this country. I only watch that show sporadically.

My favorite show was Clean House with Niecy Nash.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to mr_slick

MVM

to mr_slick
Phases can last a very long time...

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain to Boricua

to Boricua
Is Hoarders really a reality TV show or more of a documentary?

There's no elimination rounds, groups of overbearing mid-twenties with drama, or mini-contests in Hoarders.

Boricua
Premium Member
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

It's about people filling their houses with crap. I've seen episodes where there are roaches and rats running around, and the house falling apart around them. There was one episode I saw the other day where a lady cared more about her chickens than her family. She would grab the eggs and leave them out instead of refrigerating them (and yes she cooked those same eggs). I found that the majority had mental issues and a few didn't want to face the tragedy in their past.

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate

said by Boricua:

She would grab the eggs and leave them out instead of refrigerating them (and yes she cooked those same eggs).

There's nothing wrong with that. Eggs at room temperature will stay good as long as refrigerated eggs. We put them in the fridge only to slow down the growth of bacterias on the outside of the shell.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to I AM

to I AM

Agree.......... All channels i have noticed that STARETD GOOD are now crap!!!

1) Cartoon Network - Used to show GOOD/OLDER CARTOONS,now show mostly new PC garbage...

2) Boomerang - Used to show ONLY OLDER.GOOD cartoons - Now show alot of newer crap that belongs on Cartoon network! (Plus i saw THE MUNSTERS on it the other day... I LIKE THAT SHOW BUT GIMME A FUCKA BREAK)

3) Game Show Network - Used to show GOOD/OLDER GAME SHOWS -- Now show mostly newer versions of CLASSIC SHOWS I LIKED... Fuck that crap!!!

4) TV Land - Started out as a classic TV show network -- Now playing alot of garbage that doesnt belong there!!

I could go on and on!!!!!!
Expand your moderator at work
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned) to 19579823

to 19579823

Re:  

Yep, The National Geo Channel SUCKS now!

So does most of what is on cable and network TV.

There really isn't much left on that is anything close to quality programming, most is mindless trash.

While we're ranting..when there is something worthwhile on, the number of commercials is so great that it makes that quality program as unwatchable as anything else.
07108968 (banned)
join:2012-12-11
North Coast

07108968 (banned) to Subaru

to Subaru

Re: [Rant] National Geographic

said by Subaru:

said by CylonRed:

Unfortunately we are in a phase of crap reality TV shows

You don't watch any TV or go to the movies? ALL those are "staged" too.

Most over the age of about eight or nine KNOW the WWE is "scripted" but watch it for ENTERTAINMENT.

Same goes for the towing shows and the storage locker auction shows.

I think Survivor would be good if it was a REAL survivor show, none of this voting people off and other such crap, you get a foot locker of tools(NO food) and you are on your own, if you want to give up all you do is look at one of the cameras and say so, the one that lasts the longest wins, but then it wouldn't be very entertaining.

It would be interesting to see those that know what they need to get/find/do and in what order.

bombadill
Honest it just fell apart in my hands
Premium Member
join:2008-11-10
australia

bombadill

Premium Member

I think Survivor would be good if it was a REAL survivor show

I just love "Survivor" -- whatever country they're playing around it.

There they all are -- surviving -- Hah!!

What we are not shown is the cruise ship just off-shore with the camera crews, script writers, casting people, props, make up, etc etc. Reality, Oh Yeah!!
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to 15444104

to 15444104

Indeed...... The only good network i have found on air lately is ANTENNA TV! -- Now that is good programming!!!!! (Stuff from the 80s and earlier)