join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj to Ian1

to Ian1

Re: Organic Food.. not as safe?

said by Ian1:

said by booj:

Do you wash your fruit Ian?

Yes. And I would wash "organic" produce as well.

Then why do you ask people to cite for you toxicity levels in supermarket fruits when you know yourself they are present?

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by booj:

said by Ian1:

said by booj:

Do you wash your fruit Ian?

Yes. And I would wash "organic" produce as well.

Then why do you ask people to cite for you toxicity levels in supermarket fruits when you know yourself they are present?

Nice illogical leap there. Did you notice my mentioning that I'd wash organic produce as well?

Wouldn't you? Ever hear of bacteria?
booj
Richmond, ON

booj

I have to leap over the holes in your logic, they are huge.

So, to be clear, you wash your fruit solely because you fear bacteria, not chemicals?

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by booj:

So, to be clear, you wash your fruit solely because you fear bacteria, not chemicals?

Solely? Do I consider it possible that the manufacturer or farmer didn't properly rinse off the pesticides/fertilizers? Sure. And since I don't maintain a GC/Mass-Spec system in my kitchen, and also since I need to wash them anyway to remove bacteria, if it happens to knock off any extra chemicals, so what?

Quick question though, when was the last time there was a produce recall in Canada due to excessive pesticides? None that I can remember. Listeria? E-Coli? All the damned time.

So why not answer my question? Do you (or would you) wash organic produce?

If someone wants to worry about chemical exposure, they can quit worrying about their lettuce and look to the thousands of cars and trucks driving by if that's their thing.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Well, undoubtedly people would die from eating cars and trucks. Not recommended.
booj
Richmond, ON

booj to Ian1

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by booj:

Quick question though, when was the last time there was a produce recall in Canada due to excessive pesticides? None that I can remember. Listeria? E-Coli? All the damned time.

So why not answer my question? Do you (or would you) wash organic produce?

If someone wants to worry about chemical exposure, they can quit worrying about their lettuce and look to the thousands of cars and trucks driving by if that's their thing.

Listeria and and E-Coli do not taint fruit. They're found on tender vegetables close to black Earth like bean sprouts, scallions and mushrooms. Fruits, aside from rotten ones, are pretty much harmful bacteria free. To answer your question, I wash organic produce when it looks dirty. When you trust the source though, it's good to go.

The instances of chemical traces on fruit are well documented. You will encounter high levels of them if you eat unwashed fruit regularly. Rates in the latest CFIA sampling are about 0.4% of shelf produce having higher than safe amounts of pesticides/preservatives.

For someone so familiar with the state of the art in chemical detection, could you reassure us that such analysis is done on every source that provides produce? Are you not concerned that the food inspection funding, which provides you with the tenuous sense of security you have about pesticide prevalence, is being cut heavily?

From OP's NP article:
quote:
But the Stanford study should be a reminder that there is no compelling reason to make “going organic” a wider policy objective.
The main argument for "going organic" is about a healthy planet and sustainability. Organic food being healthier than non-organic was only a side effect, but it never really had a strong claim. To win on health and (more importantly) taste, freshness (locally grown) matters more.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by Ian1:

Quick question though, when was the last time there was a produce recall in Canada due to excessive pesticides? None that I can remember.

There was also the Ottawa incident a few years back that was in all the news about strawberries having way too much pesticides. people were ending up in area hospitals with blistering on the lips and tongues and other allergic reactions.

This was about 6 years ago (+/-).

It happens...

Did you not hear of this Ottawa incident? Was on all the news at the time. Alerts were constantly being put out all summer so people would extra wash the berries. Since it wasn't too long ago, is should be findable on google... A quick search didn't show anything. Maybe a google-ninja can find it.

But that is extreme cases. But does that make lower concentrations just peachy and ok?

Lower concentrations of fat soluble DDT (and it's metabolites) won't harm you either in the short term. Should we put it on your eggs?